Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 08, 2024, 02:43:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The "I haven't got time to do a Mad Max project" thread. UPDATE 19th Oct.  (Read 79104 times)

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
Thanks.

I've found something more awkward to make than the bit of engine sticking out of the bonnet, the zoomie pipes...

I decided to use fuse wire for these and to say it fiddly is an understandment, there came a point when I wished the *@!+&$ things could #%£! themselves and &%£$ shove it up their !*%@* %^$£@#.
Joining the pipes together and fixing them to the car as a single piece was a non-runner, So I bent the wire to the right length, leaving plenty of spre to hold onto and then glued them into place one-by-one. Then clip off the spare once dry and glue the next one into place. You can't put too muach glue on the outside but you can have quite a bit on the inside.

Here you can see why you hack out a bit of the bottom.

A bit of paint, it makes good fetish sense to paint this one first of course but after all the faffing with the zommie pipes I'm going to lie down in a darkened room for a while...

Offline Legionnaire Bert

• Mad Scientist
Phil

Waht do you use for the mesh?

Bert

Offline Gutbukkit

• Mad Scientist
    • Hrafnslith - Dark Age Reenactment
That's coming along nicely. Hope to make my own next month. All of your hints and tips are extremely useful. Look forward to seeing the finished article.

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
Waht do you use for the mesh?

The square is brassed etched stuff from a model shop and quite pricey, the diamond is aluminium car dent repair mesh and pretty cheap.

That's coming along nicely. Hope to make my own next month. All of your hints and tips are extremely useful. Look forward to seeing the finished article.

Well I thought it looked like a bit of a tricky hack so that's why I'm sharing it.

One thing I would suggest if you're making an interceptor which isn't the one from Fury Road is how the zoomie pipes are fluted, and you might want to use the axle wires from HW cars for those. Their ends are fluted to keep the wheels on.  ;)

Offline Centaur_Seducer

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Gubbspel
It's a pity that you don't cast all these things up on the spot ;)

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
It's a pity that you don't cast all these things up on the spot ;)

Well if there's enough expressed interest it's highly doable. They would be slower builds though as making for playing and making for casting are quite different.  ;)

Offline Centaur_Seducer

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Gubbspel
Well if there's enough expressed interest it's highly doable. They would be slower builds though as making for playing and making for casting are quite different.  ;)
I want one. Right now. But, to be fair, that interest might go down a lot during a month. New shiny stuff is always around the corner after all :D

Offline Constable Bertrand

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Make and Paint Blog
Zoomie pipes work a treat 8) 8)

It's worth the effort!

Cheers
Matt.

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
I found making the zoomies to be the toughest part of the build...  they're difficult to get correct and more or less even
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."
-Willy Wonka

Offline steders

• Mad Scientist
Fantastic thread! I saw Mad Max last night and I have to say your builds are spot on.
Can't wait to see the interceptor finished

Offline pistolpete

• Mad Scientist
  • Rent money is for rent - telly savalas
where did you get the interceptor engine blower?

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
Thanks guys, and Steders.  ;)

where did you get the interceptor engine blower?

Previous page mate.
The most fiddly bit yet was bashing together the part of the engine which sticks out the top of the bonnet.

Offline pistolpete

• Mad Scientist
  • Rent money is for rent - telly savalas
dang. was hoping there was some kind of bits kit as my creative skills tend to be somewhat hack.  in my youth there was a "hot rod garage" hotwheels set that had several bits.
between your inspiring work and the new movie (brilliant,  exciting imho) and waiting for the video game, I'm going to try my hand at some furious driving escapades.

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
Well you could always hack a bit off another suitable HW car, they're cheap as chips.  ;)

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
Painted, put it together, painted it some more...

Time for weathering.