Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 10:55:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690846
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Junktown Scrapyard Crew - Update - Muthaship Supplies  (Read 241489 times)

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/27772452@N07/sets/
Re: Junktown Scrapyard Crew - Update - Muthaship done
« Reply #1440 on: October 08, 2023, 09:40:34 AM »
Lovely work on the muthaship build. There's so many details to admire, in addition to the sheer scale of the thing.  :-*
Sir Henry Bullshott, Keeper of Ancient Knowledge

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #1441 on: October 11, 2023, 07:10:12 AM »
Fwoar! She's a beaut!  :o

Offline Spinal Tap

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #1442 on: October 11, 2023, 07:43:05 AM »
Fantastic. Your stuff is on another level.

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #1443 on: October 11, 2023, 08:37:45 AM »
Wonderful!  :-*

A home away from home indeed. A second hand SCUD launcher vehicle could well make the ultimate camper. Just don't expect to park downtown...  lol
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
    • Wyrd Stones and Tackle Zones
« Reply #1444 on: October 13, 2023, 05:05:59 PM »
This thread is incredible...8 years running! Cheers!

It's both inspiring and intimidating. ha! It definitely makes me want to expand my own little post-apoc setting, but my work pales compared to the fantastic talent posted here. Keep it coming!!

Offline Thargor

• Mastermind
« Reply #1445 on: October 13, 2023, 05:53:13 PM »
Wow!  That Muthaship is amazing.  So much detail, but it all looks useful and right.  Must start at the beginning of the thread at some point.

Offline KD47

• Librarian
  • What is best in life?
« Reply #1446 on: October 13, 2023, 10:55:47 PM »
Just took a look at the Muthaship itself.   The model looks like a modded SCUD carrier.  I had one myself at one time.  Good choice.

All of the little scatter details, that makes a huge difference in upping the realism for your games and models - well done here and well worth emulating.

The tires - start off a dark brown color, and are washed (not dry-brushed) with a dark honey tan.   This simulates the dirt that gets into tires when driving off-road.   Water and mud get into the crevasses and dry there, giving this kind of look.   Dry-brushing is OK if your vehicle sticks to the roads, but in a PA setting you'll want to do just like this one here.    Color very dark brown, wash thoroughly with dark honey tan, let it dry.   Then maybe, only maybe dry-brush here and there with a very dark grey, and only lightly!    Maybe hit the tire outer corners with a light tan.   

The rusted, pitted paint - man, you know what you're doing.   The best place to find out how vehicles age in nature is to go out and look at some!   Go to a junkyard and check out the rusty junkers.   If you're lucky to have abandoned military vehicles in your area, go take some photos!   If you're not, look online to see where the dark parts flake off, where the shinier or greasier wear marks are, and in this case, the overall pitting effect that old paint has if it's been sitting rusting in the yard for years.  I'm guessing but this looks like the salt rust method, which works very well on plastic models.   Anyhow, well executed.

All you young bucks take a good look.  Make your stuff look like this and draw 'em in to your game!
« Last Edit: October 13, 2023, 10:58:38 PM by KD47 »
For former content of mine, search my former user ID kalebdaark:

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=4831

Offline clanmac

• Mad Scientist
  • Danger - Stupid and Industrious
    • Clan Mac's Post Apocalyptia
« Reply #1447 on: October 15, 2023, 03:21:31 PM »
Just took a look at the Muthaship itself.   The model looks like a modded SCUD carrier.  I had one myself at one time.  Good choice.

All of the little scatter details, that makes a huge difference in upping the realism for your games and models - well done here and well worth emulating.

The tires - start off a dark brown color, and are washed (not dry-brushed) with a dark honey tan.   This simulates the dirt that gets into tires when driving off-road.   Water and mud get into the crevasses and dry there, giving this kind of look.   Dry-brushing is OK if your vehicle sticks to the roads, but in a PA setting you'll want to do just like this one here.    Color very dark brown, wash thoroughly with dark honey tan, let it dry.   Then maybe, only maybe dry-brush here and there with a very dark grey, and only lightly!    Maybe hit the tire outer corners with a light tan.   

The rusted, pitted paint - man, you know what you're doing.   The best place to find out how vehicles age in nature is to go out and look at some!   Go to a junkyard and check out the rusty junkers.   If you're lucky to have abandoned military vehicles in your area, go take some photos!   If you're not, look online to see where the dark parts flake off, where the shinier or greasier wear marks are, and in this case, the overall pitting effect that old paint has if it's been sitting rusting in the yard for years.  I'm guessing but this looks like the salt rust method, which works very well on plastic models.   Anyhow, well executed.

All you young bucks take a good look.  Make your stuff look like this and draw 'em in to your game!

Thanks very much KD47. I must confess the wheels were made easier by the fact the model came with rubber tyres. That meant I didn't need to paint them brown. Just two washes, brown and then the tan/khaki for sand. And you're right, the main body is salt and hairspray with a few touch-ups using the sponge rust technique (red brown, dark brown and grey-black).

This thread is incredible...8 years running! Cheers!

I had to go back and check this - 8 years! Damn. I'd lost track of time. I guess it's kept me off the streets and out of jail.

Working on a few more bits of the Lady Scrapper base camp and trying to finish another long overdue project - the Big Green Marine Sound Machine. Another Lady Scrappers' vehicle based on an AAVP-7. More pics soon I hope. 
Mac

It's not big, or clever, but let's do it anyway

https://www.facebook.com/Junkt0wn/

Offline BlackMetallic

• Assistant
« Reply #1448 on: December 18, 2023, 11:49:16 PM »
Just astonishing.   The biggest takeaway I've seen is the value of persistence.  While life got in the way, you kept plugging along.  Amazing, amazing job. 

Offline clanmac

• Mad Scientist
  • Danger - Stupid and Industrious
    • Clan Mac's Post Apocalyptia
Re: Junktown Scrapyard Crew - Update - Muthaship Supplies
« Reply #1449 on: March 29, 2024, 04:13:41 PM »
Just astonishing.   The biggest takeaway I've seen is the value of persistence.  While life got in the way, you kept plugging along.  Amazing, amazing job.

Well, life got in the way again. But, with thanks to BlackMetallic for the kind words, back to plugging along.

I’ve been working on some supplies and salvage for the Muthaship. Much more to come, but take this as proof of life…

« Last Edit: March 30, 2024, 01:42:18 PM by clanmac »

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #1450 on: March 30, 2024, 01:36:16 AM »
They look great so far, can't wait to see 'em all dirtied up and ripe for the scavvin'

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #1451 on: March 30, 2024, 08:05:28 AM »
You keep providing examples of detailed work. :-*

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #1452 on: March 30, 2024, 08:58:08 AM »
Great to see you back on the project mate - your attention to detail is inspiring  8)

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
« Reply #1453 on: March 30, 2024, 02:08:05 PM »
but take this as proof of life…
That only works if you include a newspaper with today's date!   lol lol lol

Glad to see that you are still plugging along.  This whole thread is still some of the nicest work that I have ever seen.  New details always seem to appear when looking back at the photos. 
A bottle of scotch and two aspirin a day will greatly reduce your awareness of heart disease.
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"... Mark Twain
http://snitchythedog.blogspot.com

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #1454 on: April 02, 2024, 10:42:01 AM »
May I join my voice with the other colleagues: Many congrats for your exemplary and inspirational work!
Staying always tuned! Cheers!
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi