Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 10:27:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689345
  • Total Topics: 118275
  • Online Today: 648
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Psyber's Super-Duper Dungeon (Warhammer Quest)  (Read 73228 times)

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Re: Psyber's Super-Duper Dungeon (Warhammer Quest)
« Reply #270 on: September 19, 2020, 08:28:12 PM »
Great thread  :)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline psyberwyche

• Mad Scientist
Re: Psyber's Super-Duper Dungeon (Warhammer Quest) Painting Log
« Reply #271 on: September 20, 2020, 02:33:53 PM »
Thank you :)  that model is my favourite of all the ones I've painted. So naturally he rolls the most ones lol

Lovely work all round mate! I've been through the entire thread, and this Trollslayer is easily my favourite from your log. I hope he slayed suitable foes in his quest for release!

Offline williamb

• Librarian
« Reply #272 on: September 20, 2020, 05:10:29 PM »
Thanks for reviving this thread.  I haven't been a member long enough to have seen this one.  Great looking figures.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #273 on: September 21, 2020, 05:30:41 AM »
I love that wardancer. Best of all the wardancer minis. Also the Black Tree wraiths have been on my wishlist a while. great to see them!

Offline psyberwyche

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #274 on: September 28, 2020, 05:11:31 PM »
I painted another Elf! I really must stop with these pointy-eared weirdos  lol

Anyway, I now have four Elf Warriors, plus a Wardancer, so my Elf-loving friends can finally have their all-Elf adventure. I just need to paint the High Elf Ranger warrior pack, the Lord of Aenarion, plus the long-awaited female Elf warrior (still haven't found the ideal candidate), and then I'll have painted enough elves to last a lifetime...

And the rear view of his 'adventuring' gear...

"Just like an Elf to bring a harp to a swordfight."

Offline psyberwyche

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #275 on: October 11, 2020, 12:47:42 PM »
Prepare thyselves for some serious nostalgia...

Yep, Felix Jaegar, of Gotrek and Felix fame, has joined the party. I painted one of these when it was first released in the late 90s, but it got lost in a house move. So I bought a badly painted one on eBay for a cheap price, then stripped and repainted it. Such a joy to paint!

Probably use him as an alternative Imperial Noble, or possibly an Outlaw (using the custom rules from Littlemonk's WHQ forum).

Rear view for those of you who like red cloaks  lol

Offline Doom Beard 78

• Scientist
« Reply #276 on: October 11, 2020, 02:12:52 PM »
fantastic job on Felix- I especially like the glow on the runes on Karaghul.  White Dwarf did contain a scenario for Advanced Heroquest based on a Felix and Gotrex story, where you could play as the heroes.

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #277 on: October 12, 2020, 06:15:49 AM »
Oh, Felix! Always wanted that mini but I never seem to get my hands on him. Lovely work on the pants, vertical lines can be such a bother, eh?

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #278 on: October 12, 2020, 06:29:47 AM »
I'd forgotten how good this thread is.  Being buried in my own project (inspired...20 years ago by the demise of WHQ...oddly), I'm now jealous of the smaller scale of some WHQ encounters.  I love going back through this thread - very inspiring.  Keep it up!
2024 Painted Miniatures: 187
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline psyberwyche

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #279 on: October 12, 2020, 09:44:42 AM »
I'd forgotten how good this thread is.  Being buried in my own project (inspired...20 years ago by the demise of WHQ...oddly), I'm now jealous of the smaller scale of some WHQ encounters.  I love going back through this thread - very inspiring.  Keep it up!

Cheers! when I started this adventure, you were one of the folk who gave me encouragement when I was struggling to get through hordes of finicky little critters  lol

I've got more on the painting table. I keep wanting to add more heroes, but I still have a bunch of monsters to get through.

Offline psyberwyche

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #280 on: October 14, 2020, 08:07:15 AM »
I don't think I ever posted this to the thread - remiss of me!

A while back, I tried to paint up the classic Pit Fighter warrior. TBF I had a slightly dodgy model - the nose got flattened somewhere along the line. But on top of that I just couldn't get on board with it. The sculpting and anatomy just seemed a bit off somehow, and it was no fun to paint. I stripped it and tried again, same energy. So I referred myself back to page 1 of this thread, where I outlined my project rules - only paint models I like!

So I looked around for bitz to make a pit fighter conversion. With a combination of old Empire flagellant weapons, a new GW gladiator-type-thingy (from Warcry I think, no idea what he's called), and a Chaos Marauder head, I bashed this fella into a reimagined Pit Fighter.

Now he waits in the gigantic painting queue for his turn in the spotlight...

He's a head taller than his predecessor (which is ok, as he's a hulking fantasy gladiator). But it does mean he needed a bigger base - the only hero so far to have a 30mm round base.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 01:50:00 PM by psyberwyche »

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #281 on: October 14, 2020, 04:49:15 PM »
Nice revision.  I think your original pit fighter looks great - and if you don't like him, these things still sell for decent money on eBay.  Go make yourself $40 :D 

Offline psyberwyche

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #282 on: October 15, 2020, 10:26:42 AM »
Oh, Felix! Always wanted that mini but I never seem to get my hands on him. Lovely work on the pants, vertical lines can be such a bother, eh?

I went over the thread last night and realised I've now painted three heroes with blue-and-white striped trousers. And I have an Ogre on the go who also has blue and white striped trousers.

I... I think I have some kind of problem lol

Offline psyberwyche

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #283 on: October 16, 2020, 01:16:28 PM »
Since making the comeback on this project, I've been alluding to monsters, and I've finally finished a really big one!

The Mantic Dragon has been on my painting pile for ages - earlier in this epic thread I mentioned it, and even made a custom base for it, but then it got sidelined. Finally, I found my inspiration, and  I'm pretty pleased with how he turned out:

Cons:It's a bendy plastic/rubbery material, which is difficult to clean, and actually doesn't take paint that well (careful priming required). Quite tricky to achieve a flat basecoat, but once you get there it becomes much easier to get the details on. A lot of the textures and details had to be painted on, as the wings especially are quite featureless.

Pros: It's massive! The pose is really cool (I think), and it looks really imposing (more so that the various old Warhammer Dragons, I reckon). It's also really cheap for the size - this one was part of the Dungeon Saga Kickstarter, and I picked up another in one of Mantic's Black Friday sales for about £15. Serious bang for buck.

The face is really nicely detailed:

Painted detail on the wings (quite pleased with these):

Base detail (90mm laser cut MDF from warbases.co.uk. green stuff flagstones, and treasure piles from Dark Arts studios).

The only practical downside to really big monsters in the game is that they take up lots of space in the dungeon! I opted for a 90mm round base so it takes up 3x3 squares, but even for an Objective Room that's a lot. Luckily there are websites out there with large rooms as custom tiles, so my plan is to incorporate some of those into the set, and only allow extra-large monsters when large rooms are in play.

Offline psyberwyche

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #284 on: October 17, 2020, 08:36:06 AM »
You know what this Warhammer dungeon is missing?

A little CHAOS!

Coming Soon...