Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 07:07:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691086
  • Total Topics: 118371
  • Online Today: 859
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: How often do you play?  (Read 13297 times)

Offline Connectamabob

• Mastermind
Re: How often do you play?
« Reply #45 on: July 06, 2015, 05:45:27 AM »
Haven't done since I was a teenager, TBH. So far as I know, there aren't any gaming groups in my immediate area, and between gas prices and my car needing a new clutch, I'm not in much state for driving to neighboring towns/cities regularly.

I keep at it mostly 'cause I'm a modeler regardless, and gaming stuff offers a lot of variety and bang-for-buck on that end. Plus I enjoy the challenge of balancing looks and playability, even if the possibility of actually playing isn't on the table, as it were.

My last IRL exposure to a gaming group was a trip to a "local" (45-minute round-trip) gaming store a few years ago. It was a... demoralizing sight: all-male crowd of the appallingly "hygienically challenged" sort, playing with half-painted minis on bare green felt with only the very rare piece of shop loaner terrain. Said terrain was mostly of the sad, flimsy, one-note variety clearly built by someone who resents both the effort and the idea. The hygiene thing... how does a person even LET themselves get like that? I could not get within three meters of some parts of the tables for the smell.

I'd love to find a good local gaming group to socialize with... but not like that. Oh dear, sweet Shai Hulud, not like that.
History viewed from the inside is always a dark, digestive mess, far different from the easily recognizable cow viewed from afar by historians.

Offline Norm

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • Blog for wargaming in small places
« Reply #46 on: July 07, 2015, 05:46:26 AM »
Probably 4 - 6 times a month. I am recording my games this year and in May I played a record breaking (for me) 11 games, though I was play testing a campaign game.

I play a mix of figure and boardgames. My collections aim at smaller set-ups and shorter rule systems, so it is easier to get something onto the table for a couple of hours, making a mid-week game possible.

I also have a regular opponent which maintains a discipline of regular play (2 - 3 times a month).

My gaming had reduced and I wondered why in my early twenties I did more gaming, managed a mid-week game, had two kids and worked overtime to get the money in - I decided the difference between then and now was the computer.

I had got to a point where I had defaulted into just crashing in front of the computer for the evening and doing aimless browsing around and that just eats time for no result, so I set about deliberately getting into a discipline of gaming more and doing the computer thing less.

Offline HerbyF

• Mastermind
  • Why fear nightmares when you can be one
« Reply #47 on: July 08, 2015, 05:32:49 AM »
I have a core group of guys here that I game with "regularly". They meet about twice a week sometimes more, but I only make it to game about twice a month. I work different hours than most of the guys I game with. I do spend a lot of time painting minitures & building models.
LHV 2015 +200 2016 +770 2017 +636 2018 +888 2019 +1015 2020 +656 2021 +174 2022 +220 2023 +312 2024 +109

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #48 on: July 08, 2015, 06:46:44 AM »
In answer to the question, it's once a week at the club though I would like to be able to play two or three times a week!

I'm single at present so why not? :)

Darrell.

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain
  • Rowdy, Hostile and Wrong Inc.
    • Dr. The Vikings Miniature Games Hell
« Reply #49 on: July 08, 2015, 07:38:43 AM »
4-5 times a year outside of conventions... Much depending on the locals.

I actually think that BLAM accounts for more than half of my gaming in absolute numbers.
My Empire - where everything I ever did is collected:

http://www.c0wabunga.com

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #50 on: July 09, 2015, 09:06:24 PM »
I have looked at what I wrote and decided that the time has come to fish or cut bait.  I have decided to cut bait.  Thanks, chaps, for keeping me occupied, impressed and amused for so long, but it is way past time that I realised that the hobby really doesn't have the draw anymore. What I do with my hoard, I will have to think on!!!

Bye!
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
« Reply #51 on: July 09, 2015, 09:29:04 PM »
Ack!

:'(

Television is rather a frightening business. But I get all the relaxation I want from my collection of model soldiers. P. Cushing
Peabody Here!

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #52 on: July 09, 2015, 10:00:53 PM »
30 years ago... a full days gaming every fortnight, 9am-5pm local wargames club, mega games 20-40 people Waterloo, Austerlitz, Midway...
15 years ago... moved to Newark (aka the Home of Wargaming), went to the Irregulars every week, drank lots of coffee and talked to some really top blokes, but didn't play a lot of games
8 years ago... discovered online forums, Frothers and LAF...regained my mojo, gaming became more of a social thing, all weekend games with mates, attended more shows. got a wargamse room big enough to hold a game OR build stuff. Enjoyed the building, and so ended up playing few games, but building lots.
1 year ago... lucky enough to get my dream games room - have room for a mega game, or two normal games, plus painting station, scratch building etc. Back to playing regular games couple of times a month (mostly now with my kids), and my megalomania goes from one degree of madness to another....

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #53 on: July 10, 2015, 03:05:21 AM »
I have looked at what I wrote and decided that the time has come to fish or cut bait.  I have decided to cut bait.  Thanks, chaps, for keeping me occupied, impressed and amused for so long, but it is way past time that I realised that the hobby really doesn't have the draw anymore. What I do with my hoard, I will have to think on!!!

Bye!
:(
2024: B: 2220; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #54 on: July 10, 2015, 07:24:26 AM »

Bye!

I'm really sorry to hear that  :(. I thought that Cheltenham had a pretty good club? Or is it that you just can't make the club due to other commitments?

Darrell.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #55 on: July 11, 2015, 07:23:01 AM »
I'm beginning to realise that being able to play once a week with regularity and to have the opportunity to go to the club any day or night of the week to play is certainly a real luxury!!

Darrell.

Online fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #56 on: July 11, 2015, 05:17:52 PM »
Most weeks I'm able to fit in a Friday night game - we have a group of about 8 gamers, and while its rare for all to be available together, it's nearly always possible to find someone who's available for a game. About 4 of the group have space to host, and two have very big permanent tables.

And maybe a couple of times a year we manage a weekend away, and a couple of full day games on bank holidays.

Offline P_Clapham

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #57 on: July 14, 2015, 10:26:38 PM »
With school and all of the stuff happening, I haven't had a chance to wargame since 2010.  My girlfriend keeps on urging me to get rid of my figures, I keep on trying to talk her into trying Chaos in Cairo.
"When in doubt, have a man come through a door with a gun in his hand.— Raymond Chandler

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #58 on: July 15, 2015, 12:09:00 PM »
My girlfriend keeps on urging me to get rid of my figures.

Don´t
do
it!

It would leave you with nothing to play with once she´s gone...  :?

Offline Eric the Shed

• Galactic Brain
    • The Shed Wars Experience
« Reply #59 on: July 15, 2015, 12:13:44 PM »

Since my kids grew into teenagers/money pits I try to play weekly....its the only way to justify the time and money spent on this wonderful hobby...