Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 05:51:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: My post apocalypse (TNT) updated 9/1-17  (Read 31557 times)

Offline TheCaptain

• Librarian
My post apocalypse (TNT) updated 9/1-17
« on: August 30, 2015, 02:47:23 PM »
First off, since this is my first post I thought I'd say hello.

Hello.

Now that the formalities are out of the way, on to the question.
My buddies and I are starting a TNT campaign in a few weeks, and I've taken a shine to the Preservationist faction. Having just built a Frostgrave warband out of the FG soldiers box, with 10 guys left over, I thought the ragtag robed look would work well as a post apoc. tech-cult with some conversions. What I need now are guns and weapons to match said kit. I thought to use the Perry minis Desert Rats box initially, but on further inspection they might be too small. So I was wondering if one of you had any ideas for what I might use instead?

TheCaptain
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 08:58:34 PM by TheCaptain »

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
Re: A question regarding converting frostgrave minis for post apoc (TNT)
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 03:09:20 PM »
Hi!

I think Wargames Factory do a couple of Zombie Survior plastic sets - these come with lots of weapons.

It may well be that the WGF arms are a bit narrow to fit nicely on the FG bodies.

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2015, 03:19:17 PM »
The Assault Group do seperate weapons and helmets, etc, worth a look:
http://www.theassaultgroup.co.uk/index.php?p=24

And so do Hasslefree, including a chainsaw:
http://www.hfminis.co.uk/shop?category=modern-%26%0D%0Apost%252dapoc~modern-armoury

p.s. Allo.

Online Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2015, 04:07:14 PM »
Hasslefree also do modern firearms: if the Frostgrave are 'heroic' 28s (I have no idea) then HF also do sci-fi weapons that were intended for larger (GW?) minis.

Edit: oops, just read what Phil wrote
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline Deathwing

• Mad Scientist
    • World's End Publishing
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2015, 09:51:18 PM »
Please keep us posted on the campaign.  Not sure how the Frostgrave Soldiers are scale wise, but with a few gas masks and other modern touches they should work perfectly for Preservers.  The great thing about the post-apocalypse is that you can absolutely have fun juxtaposition between the medieval and the modern.   I also recommend Hasslefree and GW style bits sellers.  The Wargame Factory miniatures may work, but the weapons and figures tend to be more slender true scale miniature and may not work with the more beefy GW style.
Joseph McGuire, President/Janitor at World’s End Publishing; producer of the upcoming post-apocalypse skirmish warband game This Is Not a Test.

https://www.facebook.com/TNTGame

http://worldsendpublishing.com/

Offline TheCaptain

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2015, 11:44:38 AM »
Thank for the replies guys. I hadn't seen the survivor box, but I'll definitely be picking that up, if the arms and weaps. don't work here then for other projects as well. As for the campaign I will definitely keep you posted as we get on.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 08:50:44 AM by TheCaptain »

Offline Hupp n at em

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2015, 09:01:49 PM »
I have both the FG box and the WF Survivors box and I think they'll be a little bit too slight for the chunkier FG guys.

Offline horridperson

• Mad Scientist
  • Doing the Will of The Horned Cat
    • Void Spaces
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2015, 09:34:33 PM »
The beauty of playing games where diversity in sourced mini ranges is encouraged is that you only have to satisfy your own, "tabletop canon".  As I have been building my own selection of models I have been able to grab them from all over the place and find it quite refreshing.

The Frostgrave models are nice but unfortunately don't work for me with the choices I have already made.  Like Hupp n at em I picked up some of the Wargames Factory models as a starting point and adopted them as "average" humans.  The Native American historicals produced by the company are very much true scale 28mm.  The bodies are depicted quite accurately and would lithe even compared to the WF Survivors which feel to me somewhere between 28mm true and heroic.  There are some differences that nothing I consider a red flag; they play nice together.  I've added some fantasy 28s from other companies into the mix and have included some AE:WW2 models as well.  I even used a 30mm sculpt to represent a hulking brute.

I really like the Frostgrave sculpts mostly because their forms remind me of the old warhammer quest figs.  They are very much heroics with big hands and faces that I feel skew my scale.  I'd like to use them in Frostgrave where they were intended but supply across the Atlantic hasn't happened yet so I have already started building my range for that game with what I can get my hands on.  As a result I am already defining a bias toward classic fantasy scales and small 28s.

The greatest problem with cross range mixing is having distortion of the norm.  Real people are a diverse group so it takes all types.  If there are many models that share comparable traits with a few "aberrations" it works.  If there are many models with exaggerated proportions the effect doesn't "sell" as well.  A couple Frostgrave models might work well.  A box worth of the same models would make my "average" WG Native Americans look like fly weights.   

Offline TheCaptain

• Librarian
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2015, 08:58:56 AM »
I know what you mean, one of the guys in the campaign is converting some GW IG into peacekeepers and they look quite bulky next to my guys. Another is using the Black Scorpion Tombstone Apache for his tribals, which seem to mesh well enough with the FG stuff, though we've yet to fully compare. I gotta say though this is the first time we've played something like this, where we're sourcing from different companies, and I agree it's quite fun in itself.

What about Bolt Action minis as a source of weapons and weapon arms? They look smaller than the GW stuff so seem like they might work.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 09:05:03 AM by TheCaptain »

Offline horridperson

• Mad Scientist
  • Doing the Will of The Horned Cat
    • Void Spaces
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2015, 09:17:47 AM »
I'm really taken by the novelty of exploring other miniature ranges as well.  I have a sizable collection of GW models and continue to appreciate their contribution to the miniature market but I really wanted to explore something different more recently.  For so many years with a GW being my local gaming store the types of games I could play and models I could use were the same.  I just wanted to paint models with a different vibe than those I'd become familiar with.  I admit to appreciating their fantasy models more than I ever did now that they have moved away from those awful square bases :) .  I think I chose the 28mm scale for this because I was feeling nostalgic about the classic fantasy models (Ral Partha, Grenadier) I had when I was a kid.  A bit of that and burning time on the net looking at mountains of new to me miniatures is a quality time waster :) .

Offline Hupp n at em

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2015, 01:17:37 PM »
What about Bolt Action minis as a source of weapons and weapon arms? They look smaller than the GW stuff so seem like they might work.

I'm not sure but I want to say that I saw some BA plastic stuff in one of Wyrmalla's threads on this board, you could also shoot him a PM.  He is the most prolific plastic kitbasher on the post apoc board.  :D

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2015, 02:52:18 AM »
Wargames Factory has some more near/dark future stuff on the way as well, with options not found on the survivor kits. As others say the WGF stuff may be thin but still probably better than the Perry WW2 figures size wise.
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline Faust23

• Mastermind
  • Father of Sorrows
    • Strategic Elite: Skirmish Wargames for the Discerning Strategist
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2015, 07:47:43 AM »
This has been my plan all along. With the second box coming out in November, we'll have a gob of PA conversion opportunities from the FG sets. Great stuff!
Author of the Origins Award 2013 Nominated Brink of Battle: Skirmish Gaming through the Ages; Epic Heroes: Skirmish Gaming in the Realms of Fantasy; and Scrappers: Post-Apocalyptic Skirmish Wargames published by Osprey Games

Offline TheCaptain

• Librarian
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2015, 02:41:09 PM »
Wargames Factory has some more near/dark future stuff on the way as well, with options not found on the survivor kits. As others say the WGF stuff may be thin but still probably better than the Perry WW2 figures size wise.

Yeah that's what I figured. I ended up ordering some BA kits along with the survivor box to keep my options open. Where can I see what WGF has on the way? I've tried searching for upcoming products etc. without any luck

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2015, 06:32:12 PM »
Where can I see what WGF has on the way? I've tried searching for upcoming products etc. without any luck

There's a biker set coming out that includes motorcycles and mounted as well as dismounted riders.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-P8Zq6tbjkp8/VT57mmEAP8I/AAAAAAAAtNA/7eDp0MVyr3I/s1600/IMG_0656%2B%281

There's also a 'biker hero' sprue, and a 'modern military' set that has a lot of contemporary military weapons from the US and former Soviet bloc- all the torsos are wearing MilTac-looking body armor. I don't think pics have been leaked yet but they've been mentioned elsewhere online. I have the sprues in hand for all of the above, but I'm not able to post pics until I have permission due to NDA ;)

I'm having trouble finding the time to paint, but WGF is negotiating with Warlord anyway, so I have no idea when they'll be out to the public.