Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 01:44:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Frostgrave Victoriana!Black Powder Rules?  (Read 41690 times)

Offline Governor General

• Scientist
Re: Frostgrave Victoriana! Necromancer's Warband (so far) added!
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2015, 04:13:06 PM »
Witch's Warband, so far. Lady Diana is an Aenglish Witch and I wanted her warband to have the look of people from her estate and local town. I named the Witch Diana after the late Diana Wynne Jones. She wrote a slew of stories involving magic in alternate Victorianish settings. So 1st pic l-r bottom  row; Pip the stable hand, Seamus the groundskeeper Tiny Tim village strongman, Brutus faithful hound and Will former poacher. Next to Lady Diana is Hermione her Apprentice, a nod to J.K. Rowling. In the 2nd photo you can see a couple of pieces I painted for Frostgrave. The large tower I talked about before. The small tower on the left is one of my oldest pieces. It was a hot pink plastic tower bought at a toy store in the earliest 90s. It was filled with plastic D& D style monsters. I got it because the door and window were in scale for 25/28 mm. I primed it grey and so it stayed for over 20 years. This game has been a great inspiration to me to dig out and paint all kinds of odds and ends. The snowed on walls and trees in the picture were purchased during Christmas holiday seasons over the years. One of the things that drew me to Frostgrave is that I have a lot of these pieces and they fit perfectly in the game. In the States these prepainted, presnowed bits will be easy to find over the coming months. Discount, Dollar, Drug and Hobby stores will be stocking them in abundance.     

Offline Governor General

• Scientist
Re: Frostgrave Victoriana! Witch's Warband (so far) added!
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2015, 03:42:20 PM »
I've broken a self imposed rule about only using what I already have for Frostgrave. This is resin scenery I purchased for a dollar apiece this weekend. I got them at a Dollar store already painted. All I had to do was dry brush with white. That only took a minute or so per piece. I bought a gate, 4 fence sections, a gazebo (of the Lich Lord ), a statue and 3 trees for 10 bucks! These are Halloween decorations when the Xmas stuff comes out it will already have snow on it. The fig in the shot is 28mm for size comparison. 

Offline Governor General

• Scientist
Re: Frostgrave Victoriana! Gazebo of the Lich Lord & new scenery added!
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2015, 03:50:21 PM »
The 1st pic is oof the dollar Store statue, all I did was dry brush white. 2nd pic is a Lemax fountain (bat bath) I bought at a hobby store. the basin was filled with "blood" that I repainted to look like ice. It was a more expensive item, $2.50. I also got some more figs painted up, they will be posted soon.

Offline mister c

• Bookworm
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2015, 04:43:24 PM »
Is anyone else thinking 'Gazebo of Doom'?
Check out my gaming and painting blog (Including Frostgrave) at
http://periodicpainting.blogspot.co.uk/2015/07/frostgrave.html

Offline Helznicht

• Bookworm
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2015, 04:52:37 PM »
Which Dollar Store?  Dollar General?  I NEED some of these pieces for $1 a piece.

Offline Governor General

• Scientist
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2015, 04:59:02 PM »

I think it was Dollar Tree. Not all of them seem to stock the scenery you may have to visit a couple.  "Gazebo of Doom" lol

Offline mister c

• Bookworm
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2015, 06:19:56 PM »

Offline kidterminal

• Mastermind
  • A rising star in the hierarchy of Hell.
    • Fends in Waistcoats
« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2015, 12:01:37 AM »
Now is the season of scenery contentedness! Great finds at great prices. The Lemax stuff is often work it.

Offline Governor General

• Scientist
« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2015, 04:01:28 PM »
A Thug, an Archer and a Treasure Hunter. 3 blasts from the past! The Thug is from Ral Partha's Ravenloft line. He's part of a village mob that's been half painted forever. I bought the fig in the mid to late 90s. The archer ( a native New Aenglader ) is from Grenadier Miniatures Shadowrun line. Yes he is wearing sunglasses ,that I've tried to make look like goggles, Shadowrun was a magic vs cyber game set in the near future of the 1990's. He's been unpainted for years, the sun glasses didn't seem very 19th cen. Luckily I need non gun missile troops and he is perfect. The Treasure Hunter is from Ironwind(?) miniatures. He was part of a set that tied into Coppola's Bram Stoker's Dracula. The fig is a  slight 25 mm but it's massive base makes it a 28mm. I think I bought this mini in 92 so he has been haunting the lead pile quite some time. 

Offline Governor General

• Scientist
Re: Frostgrave Victoriana! Thug, Archer and Treasure Hunter added!
« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2015, 07:30:39 PM »
Newly painted soldiers for Frostgrave! Finding armed 19th cen. figs sans gun in my collection has been a challenge. Most of these have remained unpainted because a firearm of some sort was part & parcel the games I was playing. The fig on the stairs is from WestWind part of their Vampire Wars line. I had 2 sets of these, his counterpart is part of German forces on Mars. Bottom row l-r, Foundry ACW; I wish this pic showed the knotwork on his sleeve it was a pain to paint but it turned out rather well, ACW wounded officer; I don't remember the maker I think of him as Major Belch due to his facial expression and finally Sgt. Willy formerly grounds keeper Willy..  Willy is from Foundry's Indian Mutiny line. Years ago Foundry had a clearance sale on older lines. I wanted 5 armed sailors from the I.M. line, Willy was the next numbered fig in the catalogue. Through a  mix up I received 5 identical Scotsman. I kept 2( others went as gifts) Willy's twin is on the N.W. Frontier.

Offline Governor General

• Scientist
Re: Frostgrave Victoriana! New Soldiers added!
« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2015, 03:55:15 PM »
Frostgrave Adventures. Wow Frostgrave has provided quite the Summer distraction for me 20+ figs painted, mainly from the deeps of lead mountain and scenery, some quite large!  This latest group bottom row l-r, Foundry ACW fig; a standard bearer his look really reads Frostgrave thug to me, A WestWind Vampire wars fig; when I painted this mini I saw a resemblance to Chaka from the tv show Land of the Lost, a Prince August fig; he is a ranger the reason I kept him was I thought he looked enough like a Mountain Man from the wild west that I could use him so. I planned on giving him a musket now I'm glad I didn't. His original bow is long lost, I fashioned his replacement from a paper clip. The fig on top of the stairs is from Eureka, part of their Napoleonic ranges. He's on officer of Swiss militia. I know the soldier classes in Frostgrave are supposed to be descriptive of what gear the fig actually has. By this criteria most of my minis are thugs. That's ok for starting out but as the game progresses I might have to make the classes descriptive of ability rather than gear.

Offline Dublindawg

• Assistant
Re: Frostgrave Victoriana! New Adventureres added!
« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2015, 03:59:39 PM »
Guess I will be visiting the local dollar stores in the greater Charlotte area this weekend.

Offline kidterminal

• Mastermind
  • A rising star in the hierarchy of Hell.
    • Fends in Waistcoats
« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2015, 01:35:08 AM »
The standard bearer, not to mention Napoleonic Sergeants with halberds will easily pass as infantrymen, the kilted scotsmen could be barbarians, Dragoons and other heavy cavalry knights, etc..

Offline Governor General

• Scientist
« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2015, 04:43:19 PM »
The Lich Lord! Now that Frostgrave is thawing he's in his backyard by the Gazebo of Doom, figuring out the garden...of Evil! This is a GW Chaos Sorcerer, the slot had GW1985 on it. I bought it in the late 80s. The GW minis were just hitting the shelves in my part of the world at that time. These figs were so different than anything else I had seen. Most of my fantasy collection has dispersed over the years but I found the fig in an old bits box and painted him over the last couple of days. I dry brushed his hair white as a place holder colour but I like enough to keep as is.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 04:46:20 PM by Governor General »

Offline Knightofspades

• Mad Scientist
Re: Frostgrave Victoriana! Lich Lord (alt. fig ) added!
« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2015, 06:59:13 PM »
Very cool guy and nice paint job. He could also work as a wizard with that golden face mask.