Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 03:23:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: (KICKSTARTER) Battle Systems post apocalyptic terrain  (Read 9048 times)

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
(KICKSTARTER) Battle Systems post apocalyptic terrain
« on: September 19, 2015, 09:11:34 AM »
Apologies if this has already been mentioned but this KS campaign just started yesterday

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1621774283/battle-systemstm-urban-apocalypse-terrain/description

I didn't back the Sci fi or fantasy ones they did but the stuff I've seen looks great. This set looks to have so many potential uses.

Offline MidnightBlue

• Assistant
Re: (KICKSTARTER) Battle Systems post apocalyptic terrain
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2015, 10:25:35 PM »
I backed the Sci-fi, Fantasy, and now the Urban Apocalypse sets...and all of them look great!

I have the Sci-fi in hand, the Fantasy is hung-up with the post office somewhere (but almost here), and the Urban stuff should grace my door next year.

I actually came over here to post about this terrain.

I plan to use it for Pulp Alley (Depression Era, 1930's rundown slums, condemned buildings, and after earthquake/tornado environments), Fanticide (for some squad-based zombie apocalypse fun), A Fistful of Kung Fu (for some action movie mayhem), and definitely for SuperSystem 4E (can you think of a better terrain set to represent Harlem after the Hulk "broke" it?).

:)

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2015, 10:45:12 PM »
Wanted to back this when I first heard of it. But 78GBP for a 2'x2' setup is a bit too much for me, as I want to be able to fill a 4'x4'...
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline MidnightBlue

• Assistant
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2015, 01:13:08 AM »
Wanted to back this when I first heard of it. But 78GBP for a 2'x2' setup is a bit too much for me, as I want to be able to fill a 4'x4'...

I definitely understand not having the budget to match desire.

I got 4x4 of the Sci-fi and the Fantasy plus a LOT of add-ons...but I'm only in for a 2x4 setup (2 City Blocks) of the Urban Apocalypse set (so far).

I have a month to find the money to change my mind...and possibly a month or two after that for the BackerKit to add more.

But I rationalize sticking with the 2x4 because the standard Heroclix mats these days that I'm used to are only 2x3.  So the 2x4 gives me a foot longer play area than I'm used to for Heroclix/Horrorclix/Actionclix and I get to build up three dimensionally.

So I MIGHT be able to talk myself into keeping with just the 2 sets...plus add-ons.  But it is very hard.

From a guy that has the prior sets, Battle Systems is definitely not gouging us on the price of the sets.  Those are some HEFTY boxes of cardboard.  Nice, well designed pieces of terrain that offer a lot of modularity.  So no, they aren't cheap, but I also don't think they are overpriced.

If I wanted to buy a 2x2 mat and fill it with 3D terrain, I'd likely pay more and would probably have to paint it to boot.  Not having to paint anything is HUGE for me.

Offline Dentatus

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Stalker7.com
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2015, 03:30:41 AM »
Love the idea but the price seemed a touch steep to me too.

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2015, 08:17:01 AM »
I'm just in for a 2x2 set. I'd love more but can't afford it. Quite a lot of free bits getting added as stretch goals so already getting more for the 78 quid than shown on the pics.

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2015, 03:06:27 PM »
Maybe I Have gone blind, but what is this terrain made from?  Cardstock, styrene, what?
"There is no known cure for the wargaming virus, only treatments with ever increasing doses of metal."

Offline DELTADOG

• Mad Scientist
  • The two-handed G.E.C.K
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2015, 03:18:16 PM »
Cardstock with Plastic intersection clamps

Offline Johnno

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2015, 03:59:49 PM »
Pre-punched card
Yearly painting challenges only show me how useless I am at painting...

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2015, 04:56:28 PM »
Ah.  Pass.  I got my fill of that with the original Necromunda and Mordheim terrains.

Offline MidnightBlue

• Assistant
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2015, 05:49:51 PM »
Again, it won't be for everyone, especially for those that like to create their own terrain.

But it is a dream come true for me as I hate the time-sink that is assembly/paining crafts.

I just want to play the games.

Between four sets of Battle Systems' sci-fi set (+ add-ons), four sets of their fantasy set (+add-ons), and currently two sets of their Urban Apocalypse set (+add-ons) I'm pretty well covered for full boards of all my 25-35mm interests.  Heck, I'm even using the sci-fi set for 6mm Robotech RPG Tactics Zentraedi ship/base interiors and human mecha-accessible ship/base interiors.

It won't be for everyone, but it definitely solves a lot of my table building woes.

Offline MidnightBlue

• Assistant
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2015, 03:14:35 AM »
We just hit the 8th stretch goal since this went live on Friday.  All of them but one are free additions to the City Block pledge meaning that base pledge value just keeps rising and rising.  The 9th stretch goal will be a freebie too.

The only add-on pledge so far is a Police Precinct package for 8 GBP.

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2015, 06:20:50 PM »
I'm watching this one, but probably won't jump in until later if at all. The base pledge is decent, but with the current exchange rate from CAD, it needs to be really good value before I can decided to dive in.
obsidian3d
www.o2media.ca

Offline MidnightBlue

• Assistant
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2015, 03:06:39 AM »
I'm watching this one, but probably won't jump in until later if at all. The base pledge is decent, but with the current exchange rate from CAD, it needs to be really good value before I can decided to dive in.

I hear you with the exchange rate.  I'm in the US and it hurts here too.

But go check out Battle Systems' other two KS...Sci-fi and Fantasy Dungeon.  You can see the kind of extra freebies that those two raked in.  And remember, those freebie lists are per base pledge.  For example, I'm currently in for two of the City Block base pledges...so I get two times all of those freebie stretch goals which really adds up.  And they don't increase my shipping costs either.

If I can squeeze out the money for a third or fourth base set, I will.  I did four of each of the other two KS base pledges plus a bunch of add-ons.  It's some quality stuff if you have a use for it.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 01:31:04 PM by MidnightBlue »

Offline Forofo27

• Bookworm
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2015, 06:14:40 PM »
you can pledge now, and if at the end it doesn´t bore you ,you can jump out.