Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:41:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Battle Systems Sci-Fi II Terrain Kickstarter  (Read 3890 times)

Offline Marauderman

• Librarian
Battle Systems Sci-Fi II Terrain Kickstarter
« on: October 23, 2016, 06:29:43 AM »
HI, the guys from Battle Systems are having another Sci-Fi  card board terrain kickstarter.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1621774283/battle-systemstm-sci-fi-ii-terrain?ref=nav_search

Offline Genghis

• Mad Scientist
Re: Battle Systems Sci-Fi II Terrain Kickstarter
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2016, 10:05:23 PM »
I'm surprised that this hasn't generated more (any) comment, it looks like a great one-stop shop purchase for a nice dense terrain setup that doesn't even require painting.
Instagram: @genghis_toy_soldiers

2024 - Figures Acquired: 50  Figures Painted: 10
2023 - Figures Acquired: 99  Figures Painted: 100
2022 - Figures Acquired: 59  Figures Painted: 54
2021 - Figures Acquired: 56  Figures Painted: 60
2020 - Figures Acquired: 63  Figures Painted: 92

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2016, 11:09:22 PM »
Still need to find the time to unpack my first two sets from thrm lol. Looks great though
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2016, 05:06:02 PM »
I backed the post apoc one as well - and I've still to unpack it. I have watched some of the unpacking videos, not sure if that count ;D

I didn't back the first SF one, as it looked too "busy" to me, and I wasn't convinced how easy it would be to move figures about without knocking stuff. I get the same vibe from this one, but I am still quite tempted.

There are a few weeks to go, so I'll decide at some point. It would be nice to use the August 2017 delivery as an excuse to avoid it, but the chances are I won't actually have played a game before then anyway :'(

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2016, 05:40:44 PM »
It looks neat, but the size of the board is cost-prohibitive to me (even though, in reality I'd spend as much building a similar board).  I'd probably skip even punching out all the spindly bits.  I've not interest in the tiny furniture etc.  I think the whole set-up is very nice though, and incredibly suitable to a number of sci-fi skirmish games.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2016, 09:12:44 AM »
I pledged for this over the weekend, only 9 1/2 months to go. Is it here yet? Is it?  lol

They've just announced a new core pledge (Outlands) that will be released when they hit £144K (they're just under £142K at the moment). It's got me seriously tempted to switch from the Frontier to the new pledge. There's a small possibility I may do something stupid and get both, but, nah, what're the odds of that ;D

The post describing the Outlands pledge is here

Offline nozza_uk

• Mad Scientist
    • The wargaming world of Nozza
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2016, 01:51:21 PM »
I do think it looks rather nice. However, I invested in the first Sci Fi kickstarter and feel a bit gutted that this come along. Do the two Sci Fi versions integrate? Also I backed the post apocalyptic one and I'm finding storage issues with that  ;)

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2016, 02:01:25 PM »
I do think it looks rather nice. However, I invested in the first Sci Fi kickstarter and feel a bit gutted that this come along. Do the two Sci Fi versions integrate? Also I backed the post apocalyptic one and I'm finding storage issues with that  ;)

Someone has asked about compatibility in the comments section earlier today. Battle Systems have replied that they're shooting a video about that today, so it's probably worth checking the kickstarter over the next couple of days to see what's posted. If they post an update with a video link I'll repost it here.

Regarding storage, their main video says that all the pieces can be stored in the shipping box this time. Although, to be fair, I'm pretty sure that means dismantled :D

I have the post apoc stuff as well, but haven't actually tried putting any of it together yet. I think one of their videos talks about using a 9L Really Useful Box for storage. Again, I suppose it depends on whether or not you want to store things in their built or unbuilt state.

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2016, 03:34:03 PM »
Very, very nice looking for urban combat but waaaay out of my price range even if it was something I might use.
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2016, 01:49:34 PM »
The video about compatibility with their older sets is available here

@Conquistador - the stuff is expensive, although that depends which manufacturer you're comparing with ::). It is, for example, a small fraction of the cost of some of the Age of Sigmar scenery sets - link

However, it saves me the time, hassle and cost of building and painting the plastic or resin equivalent, so that's a huge bonus for me  :D

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2016, 06:22:59 PM »
I find that a poor comparison; the GW stuff is plastic, so not comparable to card.

On the other hand, it's unpainted, and not comparable to pre-printed for those of us who don't paint.

Rest of your comments stand, I'd just like comparisons to other pre-printed card producers, the several of whom I've forgotten names.

Terraclips is long gone except for eBay, right?

Doug

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2016, 09:49:10 AM »
I find that a poor comparison; the GW stuff is plastic, so not comparable to card.

On the other hand, it's unpainted, and not comparable to pre-printed for those of us who don't paint.

Rest of your comments stand, I'd just like comparisons to other pre-printed card producers, the several of whom I've forgotten names.

It was more the cost of getting stuff on the table that I was comparing, rather than materials, but point taken.

The only other pre-printed card scenery that I can think of is the railway stuff from Metcalfe. I have a couple of those sets, but have never built them, as they're very much designed for static railway displays. They're also 1:72, which I don't do much in ;D

I think LaserCutCard (who post here) only do vehicles.

The only other card stuff that I'm aware of comes as PDFs that you print off yourself. The presentation of those sets tend to be excellent, and I'm pretty sure my existing cardboard stuff will sit alongside the Battle Systems buildings without any problems. As they're printed on my printer, though, they use much thinner card (approx 157 microns, as opposed to Battle Systems 1500 microns), so won't take as much weight.

More than happy to be told of any other pre-printed card stuff out there, although that may be a subject for a different thread.

Terraclips is long gone except for eBay, right?

I hadn't heard of them before. A search turns up links to WorldWorksGames. Unfortunately that site may be dead (and may actually have been for a couple of years, by the looks of it :()

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2016, 03:11:41 PM »
Yep, I don't think TerraClips survived...shame since the stuff was top notch.  I think they made a mistake with the clips though.  It took ages and ages to put stuff together or take it apart.  In retrospect I should have kept my sets and assembled them with tape/glue etc. into solid pieces I could use in other games.  The quality of the materials was top notch, but it was not an easy process to assemble or use the components.  It was also quite expensive for the amount of space you covered (I was lucky to pre-order from a website about a year in advance...by the time stuff released it was double what I'd paid...and the shop honored my pre-order!).

You could do beautiful stuff like this:

But try taking it apart, storing it, or even removing the roofs during game play...a big pain in the arse.

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2016, 03:30:57 PM »
Yes, assembly takes 1-1.5 hours, easily. But I like how it all looks and it is a nice and easy way to do 3D dungeons for instance. But unfortunately they've stopped (for now). I'm happy with my single Dungeon set, but I would like to own more.
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline Genghis

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2016, 07:47:12 PM »
This KS is drawing to a close (concludes midnight GMT on Sat) and the amount of free bonus goodies is getting pretty eye-watering.  If anyone is still wavering about whether to commit, it may be worth giving it another shuftie.  The latest update is linked below, the detention cells add on is a nat's crochet away from being funded and they've teased an alien infestation add on for a few stretch goal's time.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1621774283/battle-systemstm-sci-fi-ii-terrain/posts/1738109