Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 07, 2024, 01:26:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1696611
  • Total Topics: 118776
  • Online Today: 443
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Ingmar's Frostgrave - Warbands finished: 07-02-2016 pictures galore!!  (Read 7303 times)

Offline Ingmar

• Bookworm
Hi everyone, long time lurker, first time poster here!

After seeing all those wonderful frostgrave warbands and terrain threads I just had to make my own!
So I've picked up my brushes and started painting over the last couple of weekends. These are the results so far.
All the models came from my (rather large) bits box. The druid is a GW Hengist, his apprentice one of the Bowmen of Bergerac and the archers and ranger are wood elves. I'll be adding more models once I finish these!

Note 1: The gems are still work in progress.
Note 2: So are the bases! lol

I read the description of the witch and immediately thought of a druid. The rest of the warband just fit that theme! So here is my mean-and-green ecofriendly terrorgang. Enjoy:

The entire warband:

The druid, his apprentice and a mushroom patch (it's an explosive rune token):

The druid (the cauldron is there to indicate he's got the brew potion spell):

The apprentice:

The apprentice's owl:

His feathers:

Close-Up of the owl's face. They eyes aren't quite 100%, but the owl stands at around 8mm, so I'm fine for now! :D
Here's the inspiration btw: http://zoom.nl/foto/dieren/amerikaanse-oehoe.98272.html (the American Uhu)

The ranger:

Archer 1:

Archer 2 and 3:

And a close-up of the mushroom:

Still a bit lost on the bases. I want them to say "Spring is coming", but I'm unsure how to combine stuff on there to give it that feel...
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 04:22:07 PM by Ingmar »

Offline elysium64

• Potatoe Cup Holder 2010
  • Mastermind
Re: Ingmar's Frostgrave
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2015, 07:25:59 PM »
Impressive first post.
Really nice painting and a great use of the models.
To suggest Spring is coming how about some bluebells breaking through the snow. I needed some Bluebells and found these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Noch-FLOWER-BEDS-Yellow-Blue-07138-/380540928522?hash=item589a01c20a
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 07:35:33 PM by elysium64 »

Offline tyrionhalfman

• Mad Scientist
Really great start.thanks for sharing

Offline Hupp n at em

• Mastermind
That's an imaginative use of the Tyranid bit for the mushrooms, and great painting all around.  :)

Offline Gallahad

• Scientist
Great work.  I really like to see old classic GW minis done in more modern painting styles.  Those old wood-elves hold up well despite their age.  Great job on the owl too.  Very cool.

Offline wrinklestiltskin

• Bookworm
  • sexy beast
Lovely models and painting. I really like the muted green colors that you've used. I especially like the dude with the owl.

Offline Ingmar

• Bookworm
Thank you all for the kind words, very humbling! :o Now I'm even more motivated to paint! :D

@elysium64: thanks for the tip. I think I still have some Army Painter flowers lying around (same stuff, different packaging, more expensive o_o), so I'll see what I can do. Anyone that has suggestions for a good product that simulates melting snow?

*rushes off to his desk to paint*
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 06:12:48 PM by Ingmar »

Offline wulfgar22

• Mad Scientist
    • My Blog
Very nice!  :-*

Offline elysium64

• Potatoe Cup Holder 2010
  • Mastermind
Anyone that has suggestions for a good product that simulates melting snow

Papa midnight thread here has great melting snow, he says what products used to bottom of this page
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=81191.30

Also Cubs thread here, very good melting snow
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=82716.0
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 08:15:39 PM by elysium64 »

Offline blackfly

• Bookworm
Not super keen on the elves (personal preference, no slight against you :) )  but I love that apprentice with the owl on his staff.  Looks familliar, but my brain is less encyclopediac than it once was... where is the base fig from? bretonian little john or summat like that?

well done no matter what. :)

Offline Gunbird

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • With miniatures, anything is possible!
    • 20mm and then some
bretonian little john or summat like that?

Yup, Bowmen of Bergerac, it's Hugo le Petit, lovely model.
Who is Gunbird? Johan van Ooij, Dutch, Mercenary Gamer, no longer mobile and happy to live life while it lasts >> http://20mmandthensome.blogspot.com/

Offline horridperson

• Mad Scientist
  • Doing the Will of The Horned Cat
    • Void Spaces
Those are some fine looking models and great painting.  I really appreciate the unity of of the war band and love the owl.  Fantastic detail.  I'm curious what you will do with the bases.  The practical part of me thinks cold, gray Felstad but the wishful part would like to see the druid and his allies at home in lush greenery.  Maybe a bit of both with growth breaking from flagstones?   

Offline Ingmar

• Bookworm
Gunbird's right Blackfly. I can actually agree on the wood elves. I used them because they fit the theme and I had them laying around, but they sure are an aqquired taste..
Originally I intended this to be a human warband with some elf allies, but now it's most definitely the other way round! Not sure if I like that, but it's been quite hard to find nature/barbarian types that fit in with the other GW models I'm using.

horridperson That's exactly what I'm torn between! I really haven't decided yet..

On that matter, I haven't had a lot of time for painting in the last month. The time I had unfortunately went mostly into the "wrong" models. I bought 9 metal eternal guard (newest before the current plastic) in the hopes of creating a couple of "nature knights/crusaders" for my warband.
I stripped 2 and started painting them up again, but I lost my motivation rapidly. To my own surprise I REALLY dislike the models! There is nothing wrong with them, but the proportions are slightly different and the theme is just not the same as the "old" GW models I've been using so far..
So after basecoats and washes.. I now have 9 unused eternal guards...doh!

I did get hold of a '90-s era wardancer champion, which painted itself.. so at least I finished something this month!

Offline Achilles

• Mad Scientist
  • Heal them, with fire from above.
    • Guerrilla Miniature Games
Love the use of Hugo le Petit and Hengus as your Wiz. Great selection of 'old school cool' models here. :)   :-*

All life is an experiment.
The more experiments you make, the better.
To see more painted Toy Soldiers, check out my Blog!

Offline Ingmar

• Bookworm
Incoming picture avalanche, take cover!!!!  :o ;D :D

Right, far too late, but luckily not too little! I hope the sheer amount of photo's is a bit of a balm for the last couple of months(!). I had a serious case of real life interfering with the truly important stuff of putting color on little metal men.. Luckily, I had some time over during the weekend, since Mrs. Ingmar isn't feeling to well and I'm on nurse duty...

First up is the druid's warband (yes, there's another one incoming!).. Showing off everything and then focusing on the newest members/additions..

The whole crew:

Another angle:

Details:

Hack-n-Slash the barbarian (and friends):

The snowleopard/bear proxy:

The small construct:

The large one:

The treasure tokens

With the fabled "Liber Naturalis":

Now.. after all these herb loving, tree hugging hippies, I needed to reset the balance in Frostgrave..

Luckily my in-laws where so kind as to provide me with a copy of "Wrath Revenge of the Lichking LORD"..

Below my exploits into the realm of the undead.. To be used as denizens of the Random Encounters Table, play RotLL games or act as a warband on there own...

The Cult of the Damned:

Malacron the Lich:

And his apprentice: Choleric

The two wights/(wraith)knights:

Details:

Chompy:

Mum-Rags (current zombie stand-in):

Cultist fodder 1:

Cultist fodder 2:

Cultist fodder 3:

Cultist fodder 4:

And some more shots:

And what's still on the table:

Mr. Crowmaster stand-in:

Mr. Frostgiant stand-in:

Grave Horror. Going to be either a demon or a construct for the undead warband. It's a very old metal flamer of tzeentch with the arms of ghouls.. If you look careful, you can see it just opened the casket, threw away the coffin lid, and is eating the denizen (the hips are still in the grave). This mini came to me in GWHobby's own version of a sprue exchange, and I had an instant brainwave when I saw it..

That's it for now.. Had a very busy couple of months, but I'm trying my best to keep on painting in between the periods of utter madness..

Hope you like my (unsharp..) photo's..
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 03:46:28 PM by Ingmar »