Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 09:55:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691057
  • Total Topics: 118367
  • Online Today: 810
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Carthage vs warband report with pics  (Read 2028 times)

Offline scarabminiatures

• Scientist
    • Scarab Miniatures
Carthage vs warband report with pics
« on: September 28, 2015, 03:22:08 PM »
A War & Conquest battle report featuring Carthage vs my (Masai) warband army with a good bunch of pictures can be found here
http://scarabminiatures.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=2007&p=11937#p11937
Sample pic

War & Conquest is currently available for £20 plus shipping, saving 20% off the retail price here http://scarabminiatures.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=70 All army lists are free online. Page spreads from the book can be found here http://scarabminiatures.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=897

and a detailed battle report explaining a number of key points from the rules can be found here
http://scarabminiatures.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=950
Kind regards
Rob Broom
ScarabMiniatures
www.scarabminiatures.com
www.warandconquest.co.uk

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Carthage vs warband report with pics
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2015, 10:15:34 AM »
Thanks for the pictures and battle report.  Was the idea of Carthaginian v Masai taken from an idea of 'The Sunbird' by Wilbur Smith by any chance?
Love the mat.  Where can I get one from?

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2015, 11:53:58 AM »
Question:

Is W&C a 'base vs base' game, or are individual casualties counted?
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2015, 01:20:37 PM »
Question:

Is W&C a 'base vs base' game, or are individual casualties counted?

Individual casualties.

If you want an approximate comparison, it's got some similarities to WAB, but just plays so very, very much better. It's my 'bigger battle' ancients game of choice now and I'm working with Rob Broom (author) to write army lists for it for the late Roman/Arthurian era, so that should be an indication of the high regard  have for it.  :D

Offline scarabminiatures

• Scientist
    • Scarab Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2015, 01:57:26 PM »
Thanks folks and yes Andy, look forward to the next batch of lists - theres a report on a gaming day (Age of Warlords) using Andys existing lists here http://scarabminiatures.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2002 over 60 photos though!

In answer to questions - not sure who made the mat (its not mine), it cost around £50 though and is vinyl- apparently there is a more expensive fabric version.

I have had the Masai army for years, (with of course - more to add  :D ) and have enjoyed using it as a warband army. There was no inspiration for it, other than seeing the figures when they came out and liking them...

Individual casualties are counted, but the units can be multi based up, just use casualty models (Foundry make a pack for the Masai!) or some other method of recording casualties and then remove bases as needed.

War & Conquest is a visual game, and when a unit reaches 'half strength' it begins to suffer somewhat in morale terms, so being able to see that on the table is reasonably important, hence the need to remove models at some point, or use a token, I have several with 'half strength' written on them for units where model removal can be a little more tricky due to my multi basing combinations or perhaps more relevantly, ensuring I don't forget!
Hope that helps and don't forget, right now we have a promotion for War & Conquest saving 20% off the retail value

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2015, 09:04:06 PM »
I just registered at the Scarab forum earlier today, as I am interested to see what happens in the fantasy-department - especially the undead list.

I am very fond of playing God of Battles, but feel I have reached a point of exhaustion with my undead army (especially as the undead seem unbalanced against my regular opponent's dwarves, and NOT to my advantage), so I would like some inspiration to get stuck in again.