Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:06:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686604
  • Total Topics: 118111
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Frostgrave with a Dungeon Master  (Read 2270 times)

Offline Calumma

• Librarian
Frostgrave with a Dungeon Master
« on: October 04, 2015, 08:35:59 AM »
Just started to dip my toes into Frostgrave. In general I like the concept of the game but find the d20 combat system a bit too random. I'd also like to see more variety in scenarios with objectives other than simply grab the treasure and run.

But like I said, the concept of the game is a good one and I can see it as a system ideally suited to my son and his friends. Particulary given the low cost of entry and limited amount of painting required to put a warband together. With that in mind I decided to have a go at putting together a simple scenario where opposing wizards find that hunting treasure isn't as straightforward as it seems. I've put my ideas on my blog with a few comments on how our first game went.

http://haroldsrevenge.blogspot.co.uk/2015/10/frostgrave-better-with-dm.html

In this game I acted as DM, controlling creatures and introducing events that the players didn't know about in advance. It made for a fun game that the kids thoroughly enjoyed. They started off fighting each other as they tried to collect treasure, but ended the game working as a team to overcome some of the challenges I introduced.

It's also worth noting that they didn't give a stuff about whether the flat statistical distribution generated by rolling a d20 is worse than the bell shaped curve created by rolling two d10s... So I'll probably put that one to bed now!

Offline Magos Kasen

• Bookworm
Re: Frostgrave with a Dungeon Master
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2015, 08:56:58 AM »
Nice, interesting and cool idea (one that I've had myself...) and from what you wrote, a fun game resulted. Also, that game board is absolutely gorgeous :)

Offline wulfgar22

• Mad Scientist
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2015, 09:20:26 AM »
Inspired! Really adds to the 'narrative'!

Offline frogimus

• Librarian
  • Enthusiastically Apathetic
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2015, 12:25:49 PM »
Great mod to the game
"Never rub another man's rhubarb!"- The Joker(Jack Nicholson)

Offline Helznicht

• Bookworm
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2015, 04:35:32 PM »
Sounds like a bast, great storytelling.  Frostgrave lends itself to this style of playing very well IMO.

Offline AzSteven

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2015, 05:48:55 PM »
That is pretty much how I have been running Frostgrave games - I am acting as the DM/Critter Controller, and the otehr players are running bands of looters, er, adventurers.  I generally have at least two 'known' bands of critters on the board wandering around when the players start, and each time the players enter a building or block there is a chance for an encounter, which can result in more critters wandering around if the player flees instead of clearing the spot.  And then of course, while a player is occupied with one band of critters, other wandering bands might join in on the fun...

Offline Calumma

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2015, 09:13:49 PM »
I was pretty pleased with how the game turned out and especially pleased that the kids were keen to play again. Next time I'll put a scenario together that involves them getting into the city. I like the random encounters aspect with creatures appearing in a structure/piece of terrain rather than just at the table edge. I also like your idea for having creatures already on the board. Looking forward to seeing the new Lichemaster campaign. The bestiary is a bit limited at the moment, so the expansion will be welcome.