Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:11:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Coyote Rock - An Old West Outpost: Update - Blacksmith and Outbuilding  (Read 11291 times)

Offline Monkey

• Bookworm
    • KT Nestboxes
So, now that I have added some photos to the Old West Town roll call thread, I feel like I really must make an effort to develop my little settlement. I think storage limitations mean I won't be able to create a full on town like some of the great looking setups I've seen on here, so I'm currently aiming at the 'bandit wilderness hideout/frontier outpost/extended ranch' sort of level.

As a start here are a few pictures of what I have managed to produce so far. Fantasy games are my main thing so I'm going to try and get as much stuff as I can that will work in both settings.

Barricade and the water trough.

Some Catci

Log piles – they don’t have the blue tinge in real life, that’s down to my inept photoshop skills and me deleting the original.

Chicken coop, complete with chickens. I’m now wishing I’d left off the GW bucket though. It seems slightly too big.

Dog Kennel

And a couple of the locals.

I seem to be really struggling to take decent photos of the actual models. I don't know if this is down to my poor painting skills or my poor photography skills (probably both) but here are some very blurry photos of some  more inhabitants (imagine there is a heat haze)

Perry Minatures adobe house. After taking the photos I decided to go back and tone back the orange bricks with a yellow drybrush, and I think it looks better for it.

Some fences (Perry's again) I've still got more of these to do. For some reason they only give you enough posts to make one massive length, so I might have to sacrifice a couple of sections in order to be able to store them.

I've got a few more things painted, they just need decent picture, so hopefully there will be another update soon.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 06:27:58 PM by Monkey »
http:www.ktnestboxes.co.uk

Offline Monkey

• Bookworm
    • KT Nestboxes
Re: Coyote Rock - An Old West Outpost
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2016, 10:27:53 AM »
Well that was quick...

Here's the outhouse which I forgot to put in the first post.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2016, 02:47:56 PM »
Nice collection but what I like most is the name - Coyote Rock.  Why, that could be a contemporary band name for a group out of the desert south west, maybe composed of native Americans, even?  But it also works well for the Old West.

Offline Deedles

• Mastermind
    • One man & his brushes
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2016, 06:16:55 PM »
It looks like a grand start... Look forward to seeing Coyote Rocks grow
Cheers
Deedles

One day the lead mountain will be gone.... one day

http://onemanhisbrushes.blogspot.co.uk/
http://blazingdice.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Za Zjurman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2016, 07:00:43 PM »
Welcome to the club  :D

Cheers,

Za

Offline Monkey

• Bookworm
    • KT Nestboxes
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2016, 02:38:52 PM »
Ok, so here is the rest of the stuff I already had painted. For some reason I seem to be making much better progress on the scenery than the inhabitants.

Midden with chickens

Cart, I'm not sure about the colour on this. I was going for old, weathered wood, (grey base coat with a brown wash and grey drybrush). So if you have any suggestions on how else to achieve this sort of look, please let me know.

Campsite

More barricades

The rock itself - It's just a fish tank ornament to which I've glued a bit of flock, I haven't even painted it. It's not massive, (5 x 2.5 x 2.5 inches) so at some point I might get a large one.

And the second building for the settlement, a Perry miniatures North American Farmhouse. I have another of these on the painting table which I have done with the alternative shop frontage.

Thanks for all the comments so far, and if you have any suggestions for improvement, please let me know.  :)

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2016, 02:55:33 PM »
Your weathered wood looks okay to me.  But a thought - how old would the building be in the game?  A lot of the still existing structures from the period are well past a century old and thus have that very gray patina you are going for.  Now, if this is near a salt water coast, that gray happens pretty fast.  Otherwise, it takes a long time to get to that colorization (though not a hundred years, of course), especially if effort is being made to maintain the structure.  So, ask yourself whether the building should be that color or look 'newer'. 

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
    • Vagabond's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2016, 04:43:19 PM »
Thanks for posting these bits

There are some very good ideas which I will have to borrow, the camp beds are great, the hut roof  has come out very well, is the midden  bought or did you scratch build it?

Look forward to the next lot.

Offline Monkey

• Bookworm
    • KT Nestboxes
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2016, 01:51:30 PM »
Thanks for the comments so far.

Your weathered wood looks okay to me.  But a thought - how old would the building be in the game?

I think on reflection I'm not going to get too bogged down in historical accuracy, if it looks good that's good enough (as shown by the mix of adobe and wooden buildings I guess?)

the camp beds are great, the hut roof  has come out very well, is the midden  bought or did you scratch build it?

Thanks. The camp beds and tents came in a set made by Renedra (http://www.renedra.co.uk/product.php?product=117). I just mounted it on an MDF base and added a few bits from my bits box. I've kept it generic so I can use it with Otherworld fantasy skirmish. The midden is a resin model that was bought from Stronghold Terrain - (http://stronghold-terrain.de/index.php/terrain/medieval/dunghill.html) along with some of the other resin pieces. I think they do some really nice (and affordable) stuff.

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
    • Vagabond's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2016, 03:09:04 PM »
Affordable is always good.

I've seen the Rendra tent set before - never realised they were camp beds with it - doh

Thanks for response

Offline Monkey

• Bookworm
    • KT Nestboxes
Re: Coyote Rock - An Old West Outpost - Update - Nodding Donkey
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2016, 11:57:12 AM »
So for Christmas I got a couple of the TT Combat Oil Pumps. I'm not 100% sure how historically accurate they are (although from what I understand they existed since the 1860's, and they also didn't look out of place in Red Dead Redemption) but I like the idea of them as a feature/thing on the edge of the settlement so I thought I'd paint them up and see how they turn out. here's the first one.

I have no idea how they would have looked, so I've gone with rusted steel (would they be painted? I know modern ones are) which I think looks ok. I was really unhappy with how it looked until I started adding in the orange rust, then suddenly it seemed to come together. What do you think? Is it any good, will it fit the setting?

Thanks,

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
Re: Coyote Rock - An Old West Outpost: Update - Nodding Donkey
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2016, 06:29:16 AM »
Oil pump looks good and I know you aren't too worried about history but you are pushing the envelop for the Old West with it - probably 1920's for that type of pump, certainly post 1900.  But the old west lasted into the 1920's in a few locales.  What was that old TV show set in the west with a car, a Stutz Bear Cat I think it was?

Offline Black Burt

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2016, 10:50:31 AM »
Love your terrain pieces they look great.

Offline hentzau

• Librarian
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2016, 04:13:10 AM »
Oil pump looks good and I know you aren't too worried about history but you are pushing the envelop for the Old West with it - probably 1920's for that type of pump, certainly post 1900.  But the old west lasted into the 1920's in a few locales.  What was that old TV show set in the west with a car, a Stutz Bear Cat I think it was?

Bearcats!

Offline whill4

• Librarian
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2016, 06:35:47 PM »
Generally the oil pump you modeled is powered by an gas/diesel engine and sometimes an electric motor.