Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 01:17:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690978
  • Total Topics: 118361
  • Online Today: 706
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shadows of the Past Board Game  (Read 14165 times)

Offline Freelancer

• Mad Scientist
Re: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shadows of the Past Board Game
« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2016, 03:00:20 AM »
Triceratons are from the original comic series (and the better of the TV animated series). Big humanoid triceratops'.

Offline Teskal

• Student
« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2016, 01:38:57 PM »
Haha. This is exactly why I think Obsidian3D is correct. The version of the turtles that I know and love is the original 80s Eastman and Laird comics, and the associated cartoon series from the early 90s. I've never even seen the 2003-2012 series (what's a Triceraton?). This probably explains why this Kickstarter isn't for me  lol !

If you read the original Eastman and Laird Comics, you should know Triceratons. They appeared already in these comics and also in the 87 series.
The original comics are much nearer to the 2003 series as the 87 series.

The IDW comics are a good restart, mostly mix of the old comics and different early series (do not know 2012 series much), including Bebop & Rocksteady, Krank, Shredder, Utroms, Slash and more.

Offline flags_of_war

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Flags of War
« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2016, 02:31:27 PM »
If you read the original Eastman and Laird Comics, you should know Triceratons. They appeared already in these comics and also in the 87 series.
The original comics are much nearer to the 2003 series as the 87 series.

The IDW comics are a good restart, mostly mix of the old comics and different early series (do not know 2012 series much), including Bebop & Rocksteady, Krank, Shredder, Utroms, Slash and more.

:D 1986

« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 02:33:48 PM by flags_of_war »

Offline psyberwyche

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2016, 05:30:38 PM »
It's been a very, very long time...

Offline Oldben1

• Mastermind
    • My Terrain Projects
« Reply #49 on: February 19, 2016, 06:03:05 PM »
TMNT issue 1-7 is one of the best runs (in my humble opinion) of any comic series ever.  The amount of imaginative work that went into those early comics was staggering.  It's too bad Eastman and Laird decided to focus on business rather than art.  Although the return to New York series had some good work in it.

Does anyone have the triceriton miniatures painted from Dark Horse?

Offline Teskal

• Student
« Reply #50 on: February 19, 2016, 10:01:29 PM »
The Heroclix turtle van, is it already available or was it only for the convention?

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
« Reply #51 on: February 19, 2016, 10:12:18 PM »
I think it first appeared at the convention. They often filter out soon after, and in some cases the molds have been re-used with slightly different dials. If I see one locally I'll quite likely pick one up and remove all traces of heroclix-i-ness from it.
obsidian3d
www.o2media.ca

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #52 on: February 20, 2016, 02:06:37 AM »
Actually that's better put than my post. The ones in the base set don't resemble the Turtles I grew up with... So to find out it's Works only was a bit of a let down. Im looking at some of the minis you do get thinking "Who are these guys?"

Aye. The latest movie turned them into Hulks in a half-shell, but these guys look like preteen mutant ninja turtles. (Somewhat similar to the most recent cgi tv show - how connected is that to the IDW comic?) Also, I dunno if flat, smooth digital sculpting really captures the grungy two-kids-and-an-uncle's-money look and feel of the original comics. I agree that the clix versions look much better - to some of us 80s-90s grognards anyway. (They're not perfect, but the grimaces and inflated musculature remind me of the Leonardo action figure I used to have...)

And not to gain meself an unfortunate reputation of being hypercritical of animal-men, but the Bebop render looks too lanky, and the Rocksteady render too bulky! Though I gather that's based on IDW designs too. So help me, but I actually think this is one time Michael Bay did it better.

Offline Freelancer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #53 on: February 20, 2016, 07:44:25 AM »

So help me, but I actually think this is one time Michael Bay did it better.

Isn't that one of the signs of the Apocalypse?

They may have stayed my hand from cancelling my pledge. I've wanted a Fugitoid mini for ages, and its just possible Triceratons may be following.

Offline flags_of_war

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Flags of War
« Reply #54 on: February 20, 2016, 08:07:48 PM »
I have to say I'm more than happy with what im getting for my money with Rocksteady and Bebop added but i do feeling a litttle dissapointed at the gaps between the stretch goals now. I get a hint that they have not been prepared for the KS being as this succesful and have ran out of things to give. They making it harder to get anything extra by increasing the gaps which is a little unfair imo.

Offline flags_of_war

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Flags of War
« Reply #55 on: February 20, 2016, 08:50:49 PM »
These are the Turtles that the game is based on. Id have loved a cartoon version but hey i quite like these guys too. Apart from giving Leo a shit pose....TWICE!!!

Offline fergal

• Mad Scientist
    • Crossover Miniatures
« Reply #56 on: February 22, 2016, 09:55:09 PM »
I just threw in the towel.  While I love TMNT, I don't really care for the IDW versions, at all really.  The game itself looks a bit more complicated than I'd ever play as well.  I might pick it up retail when it's all said and done.

I feel good about the decision as they've more than met the funding goals they were looking for.  If it was a little guy, I would totally have stuck it out, but there were only really the turtles I was after, perhaps some mousers.

Offline CptJake

• Mastermind
  • Hooah!
« Reply #57 on: February 22, 2016, 10:28:00 PM »
I'll likely be dropping my pledge as well.  Not showing anything but renders, and those being pretty softly detailed, is killing it for me. 
Every time a bad person dies, a Paratrooper gets his wings.

Offline Freelancer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #58 on: February 23, 2016, 12:57:58 AM »
They are really stringing backers along. " Big anouncement .....tomorrow!"
and all their strech goals are just ally CARDs, not even a miniature to back it. I'm out.

Offline psyberwyche

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #59 on: February 23, 2016, 09:42:07 AM »
Yeah, I don't feel bad for dropping out. The campaign is almost over and we haven't seen a single actual mini, and
I don't really like the renders. I think there's not only a disconnect between fans of different version of the turtles, as discussed here earlier, but also between guys (like us) who want miniatures to paint, and guys who just want a cool board game.