Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 02:55:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The less-than-brilliant modelling club  (Read 35100 times)

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
Re: The less-than-brilliant modelling club
« Reply #165 on: April 29, 2017, 12:06:45 AM »
STOP! Morning coffee time people, morning coffee!
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #166 on: April 29, 2017, 06:33:21 AM »
#102 - Hospitalising yourself.

When cutting wire for use in sculpting, don't leave it laying around so that it punctures your arm and begins sliding through flesh and scraping against bone.

Check. I recently tried to push, for pinning, a length of steel piano wire throgh a tight hole. Went right through my tumb and hit the nail. From the inside.

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #167 on: April 29, 2017, 06:47:03 AM »
 :o :-X

Nooo

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #168 on: April 29, 2017, 06:47:11 AM »
Argh - please don 't post photos of these bone and nail scraping incidents! :o
Worst I ever did modelling-wise was try (unsuccessfully) to slice of a bit of my left index finger.
For my very worst feat I'd have to post in the secondary school chemistry lab less-than-brilliant club.

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #169 on: April 29, 2017, 07:25:42 AM »
I think I have done most of the stuff in this thread. I find that most af these accidents happen within seconds if you thinking "it'll be alright".

I was once cutting the head of a metal Ork. I put some muscle into it my blade slipped right into my thumb an I could feel it hit bone. It was a guillotine ish cut. There was quite a bit of blood I even managed to hit the wall and the couch. I got up quickly to go and fix the cut in the bathroom so I could clean off the rest of the blood that got spurted everywhere  (I am not even supposed to do hobby stuff in the livingroom). I got up way too quickly as I got a massive headrush and momentarily blacked out. In that moment missus Zombie walks in the door finding me groggily scrambling to my feet with blood everywhere.
To this day she tells the story as if she had walked in on a fight scene from Kill Bill

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
« Reply #170 on: May 03, 2017, 09:12:52 AM »
#103 Not Checking The Spray Primer Before Using It
A while ago, I'd created a nice piece with foam and melted the thing which is something I hear from a lot of people happens, but then there's the problem I had.

Ran out of my black primer and a friend was heading to the store on his way over anyway to pick up some food for our D&D game, asked him to grab a can. At a glance I could see that it was black spray primer, and used it this morning only to come back home today to notice they were still shiny...I both forgot to ask for a flat spray one and to check that it wasn't one. Now I've got a large pile of minis that aren't going to paint up as easily and it was the nigh impossible to remove spray intended for spray and paint in one coat for outdoor stuff...

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #171 on: May 03, 2017, 09:21:59 AM »
To this day she tells the story as if she had walked in on a fight scene from Kill Bill

lol lol lol

And no doubt you now have to try to convince people that she tells that story to that you have a very 'dangerous' hobby.
 :D :D

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #172 on: May 03, 2017, 10:05:29 AM »
I think she tells people that story to tell people that I am an idiot.

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
« Reply #173 on: May 03, 2017, 10:49:25 AM »
I know the feeling, my mother still tells the story about when I was rather small about me deciding to build a lake for the city I was building with blocks by way of dumping buckets of water...her first idea of what I was doing came from water dripping from the ceiling to the place she had her sewing stuff...

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #174 on: May 03, 2017, 11:37:43 AM »
I think I have done most of the stuff in this thread. I find that most af these accidents happen within seconds if you thinking "it'll be alright".

I was once cutting the head of a metal Ork. I put some muscle into it my blade slipped right into my thumb an I could feel it hit bone. It was a guillotine ish cut. There was quite a bit of blood I even managed to hit the wall and the couch. I got up quickly to go and fix the cut in the bathroom so I could clean off the rest of the blood that got spurted everywhere  (I am not even supposed to do hobby stuff in the livingroom). I got up way too quickly as I got a massive headrush and momentarily blacked out. In that moment missus Zombie walks in the door finding me groggily scrambling to my feet with blood everywhere.

Oh, you prize idiot, you!

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #175 on: May 03, 2017, 05:56:20 PM »
I know the feeling, my mother still tells the story about when I was rather small about me deciding to build a lake for the city I was building with blocks by way of dumping buckets of water...her first idea of what I was doing came from water dripping from the ceiling to the place she had her sewing stuff...
If we're doing stupiud stuff as children...

I apparently picked up a used syringe from the local park and put it in my pcket when i was about 4 with the intention of using it to make a model plane. Apparently even as a child i had no regard for safety when it came to scratch-building.
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #176 on: May 03, 2017, 06:11:29 PM »

I was trying to soften the blow for you a little, mate.
 ;)

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #177 on: May 03, 2017, 07:00:16 PM »
If we're doing stupid stuff as children...

I apparently picked up a used syringe from the local park and put it in my pcket when i was about 4 with the intention of using it to make a model plane. Apparently even as a child i had no regard for safety when it came to scratch-building.

Did the same. I guess AIDS was hitting the news waves full force about that time and my dad and his buddy were dumbfounded that I would pick up a syringe to make into something :)
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #178 on: May 03, 2017, 07:23:33 PM »
Off-topic, but speaking of syringes: We had a craze at school of sneaking syringes (sans needles) into the classroom and stealthily water-pistoling each other with them during lessons. I got a massive one for syringing pigs from my farmer grandfather, it was like a cannon compared to the puny ones my friends had.

Then one kid got caught with a bunch of them in his bag, there was a big moral panic amongst the parents and teachers that the school had a serious drug problem, and we got lots of talks and counselling about it.  lol

Those were more innocent times, we were like the kids from the Jennings or Just William books compared to schoolkids now. :)

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #179 on: May 03, 2017, 07:40:16 PM »
Off-topic, but speaking of syringes: We had a craze at school of sneaking syringes (sans needles) into the classroom and stealthily water-pistoling each other with them during lessons. I got a massive one for syringing pigs from my farmer grandfather, it was like a cannon compared to the puny ones my friends had.

Then one kid got caught with a bunch of them in his bag, there was a big moral panic amongst the parents and teachers that the school had a serious drug problem, and we got lots of talks and counselling about it.  lol

Those were more innocent times, we were like the kids from the Jennings or Just William books compared to schoolkids now. :)

That's a good one :) Ah the good ole' days...

I dressed up as a terrorist one year for Halloween, realistic toy UZI, ski mask, satchel... the works. No one batted an eye, even at school. Later, I was one of the 'black trench coat' crowd in high school, and good lord, the dark depressing emo poetry I wrote in creative writing... nowadays I'd be in the counselor's office for sure.

I don't have any real modeling mishaps to speak of, other than reaching for something while my brush was in my hand and painting a miniature that wasn't the target :P