Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 09:21:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691096
  • Total Topics: 118371
  • Online Today: 880
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The less-than-brilliant modelling club  (Read 35065 times)

Offline DS615

• Scientist
    • Fandango Alpha
Re: The less-than-brilliant modelling club
« Reply #180 on: May 04, 2017, 01:37:58 PM »
92.) When setting things aside such as rattle cans, pay attention to where you're setting them...

Was priming a pile of minis and needed to switch cans since I'd used the end of one and sat the empty one on the heater...those things explode and still leave bits of paint behind even if the thing is "empty"

Indeed.
It was a rare nice day, so I was priming white out on the deck.  Came in and set the can on the closet shelf.
Which, it turns out, is where my Wife kept her hair spray can.  :o
To be fair to her, it was a GW can, so looked much more festive than a regular spray can.
And to her credit, she didn't use too much!
 lol
She's the greatest, so she wasn't really mad at me.  I don't use that shelf anymore, though!
- Scott

Online Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #181 on: May 04, 2017, 02:03:13 PM »
I think I would have had to flee the country if that had happened in my household.

Offline jon_1066

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #182 on: May 04, 2017, 03:36:06 PM »
Indeed.
It was a rare nice day, so I was priming white out on the deck.  Came in and set the can on the closet shelf.
To be fair to her, it was a GW can, so looked much more festive than a regular spray can.
 lol
She's the greatest, so she wasn't really mad at me.  I don't use that shelf anymore, though!

Well I hope she bought you a replacement can to make up for lost product!

Offline ErikB

• Mastermind
  • Sometimes I feel like Schroedinger's Cat
« Reply #183 on: May 04, 2017, 07:38:27 PM »
Check. I recently tried to push, for pinning, a length of steel piano wire through a tight hole. Went right through my thumb and hit the nail. From the inside.
When I was in college I pierced my ear by pushing an earring stud through my lobe and right into my thumb.  Wow, that really, really hurt. 

The thumb got infected (wrestling practice then surfing in polluted Southern California water....)  That hurt even more.

Ear was fine, though.

Sorry about your thumb.  At least we (usually) have two, a primary and a backup....   ;)

Offline ErikB

• Mastermind
« Reply #184 on: May 04, 2017, 07:44:25 PM »
Worst mistake I made was allowing my then 3 year old baby boy take my x-acto knife.  When I removed it from his hand he moved in such a way that I cut the side of his ring finger open.  I wrapped his finger in toilet paper and held tightly before he saw any red.  Nasty cut running the length of his cute little baby boy finger.

Dear God, I'm scarred for life.  I can still feel that knife cutting him.  Worst feeling a parent can have is being responsible for hurting one's own little one.

He's fine, physically and emotionally and is doing great making tanks and airplanes (see other thread).  He is even competent with that x-acto knife under supervision.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #185 on: May 04, 2017, 07:54:44 PM »
I once had painted a load of LOTR models for a customer and went to varnish them .... with the GW Black Primer instead of the varnish. I genuinely wept. I had to completely repaint one side of about half a dozen models.

The usual mini-drill and hobby knife slips aside, I did once have an interesting experience with a bit of steel wire and a diamond dust cutting disk. I was cutting lengths of wire for something - pikes maybe, it might have been my ECW phase - and of course, being a daredevil hairy-chested male did not deign to wear such foolish things as protective goggles. A small fleck of steel flicked up into my eye and scratched the cornea. It wasn't serious, but it felt like I had something scratchy in my eye for over a week, I obviously kept rubbing at it, making it go red and weepy. After a visit to the doctor I had to wear a piratey eye-patch and apply a nasty goopy antiseptic gel to my eyeball several times a day.

These days I wear protective goggles every time. Every time.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #186 on: May 04, 2017, 09:15:51 PM »
Indeed.
 lol

I would have thought she'd be more annoyed about having to soak her hair in dettol/simple green for several days to remove the paint :D

Offline PortCharmers

• Assistant
« Reply #187 on: May 04, 2017, 09:28:36 PM »
Follow up on #80: a little part can even fall down and hide inside a shoe until you give up looking for it and make a new one.

And the one about too little hardener in a mix of resin reminds me of the opposite: misreading the instructions, and add one part of four instead of one part to four. After a couple of minutes, the mixture in the pot started smoking. Made the same mistake again to make sure. Surprisingly, the whole performance still yielded a usable result

Offline Pijlie

• Mastermind
    • Pijlie's blog
« Reply #188 on: May 17, 2017, 07:45:31 PM »
Not of my making, but too great to pass up and let's face it: we've all been there..

I wish I were a glowworm
'cause glowworms 're never glum
How can you be grumpy
When the sun shines out yer bum?

http://pijlieblog.blogspot.nl/

Offline ErikB

• Mastermind
« Reply #189 on: May 17, 2017, 08:45:13 PM »
Not of my making, but too great to pass up and let's face it: we've all been there..

Only solution I know of is to use some masking tape before cutting.

Offline PortCharmers

• Assistant
« Reply #190 on: May 17, 2017, 09:21:26 PM »
Oh yes, been there. Best when only part of the part flies off. It reminds me of the evening when a friend was over at my place, building an airplane model, and thought it was a fun idea to stick a Propeller in my dremel and spin it at 20000rpm. It generated enough thrust to work itself lose from the dremel, and fly across the room, inches in front of my face.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #191 on: May 18, 2017, 08:41:00 AM »
Only solution I know of is to use some masking tape before cutting.

There are a few sprue surgery techniques. I make cuts in the main sprue before snipping the delicate parts. This lessens the tension in the frame.

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #192 on: May 18, 2017, 11:20:19 AM »
Guess we're at around 109.

No. 109: Cut that won't clot
Causing a medium depth cut on the top of your finger by pinching a piece of skin with a pair of scissors (was trimming plasticard). Its a tiny circular crator. Slicing hurts, but clots up quickly. On the third band aid now.

I realised the worst thing with these injuries is that you can't get back to want you were doing straight away until the bleeding stops!
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline jon_1066

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #193 on: May 18, 2017, 12:00:12 PM »
Guess we're at around 109.

No. 109: Cut that won't clot
Causing a medium depth cut on the top of your finger by pinching a piece of skin with a pair of scissors (was trimming plasticard). Its a tiny circular crator. Slicing hurts, but clots up quickly. On the third band aid now.

I realised the worst thing with these injuries is that you can't get back to want you were doing straight away until the bleeding stops!

Well you could if you wanted very realistic blood effects :)

Online Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #194 on: May 18, 2017, 12:42:04 PM »
Sadly real blood does not look like real blood.