Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:33:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Painting advice please -- and gluing  (Read 10765 times)

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
Re: Painting advice please
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2016, 10:17:27 PM »
I agree with the general use of muted shades with greens / browns / greys predominating. To help make the 2 sides stand out more, then I'd suggest you each pick a colour, say blue or red. Then do 1 or 2 items of clothing in that colour on each figure, and not necessarily using exactly the same colour but differing shades.

If you are each going to paint your own figures, then they will end up looking fairly different.

Offline Jennifer

• Scientist
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2016, 10:22:43 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  Any of you have a photo demonstrating this by any chance.  Like a photo of two opposing warbands in muted tones with colored articles of clothing ?

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2016, 10:42:19 PM »
Red, Blues, Purples were very expensive dye stuffs, so should be limited to special characters/champions etc, most ordinary troops would be in undyed cottons, browns, greens or grey.

That is true in this world. In occidental medieval times at least. The orient was always rich in colour and the lords showed their wealth by equipping even the lowest ranking with impressive fabrics. However Felstad is located in a fantasy setup with magic and all. An Illusionist might make his fellows appear in any bright colour even though they were actually clad in dull garments. Any other wizard could simply buy them every gaudi clothing from the loot found in the ruins if he likes to do so.
I painted my entire warband in bright red and yellow mi-parti uniform. This will make my miniatures stand out against any opponent on any Frostgrave table, I guess.

Offline Azzabat

• Scientist
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2016, 10:46:47 PM »
@stone-cold-lead did some wonderful miniatures in a muted yet tied in color scheme:

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=76643.0

Also look at the main Northstar painted Warband:

http://www.beastsofwar.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/Frostgrave-Soldiers.png

Or just use your Google-fu to search the inter web.   =
I know the voices aren't real .... but they have such FASCINATING ideas!

Offline mdauben

• Scientist
« Reply #34 on: February 29, 2016, 07:20:42 PM »
Liquid poly cement varies between manufactures. I've tried many different ones and would recommend only 2.
I've honestly never noticed a difference between manufacturers for polystyrene cement.  They all seem about the same to me.    YMMV of course. 

Plastruct Plastic weld
I do have a bottle of this I use at times.  IMO the advantage of this stuff is it works well on a wide variety of plastic types, not just the polystyrene used for most model kits.

I remember many years ago picking (1970?) a plastic figure that made out of some odd ball plastic that required you to use MEK as the glue.  In case you don't know, MEK is highly toxic.   lol
Mike

Offline Billchuck

• Scientist
    • Velociengineer.net
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2016, 05:39:50 PM »
Okay so I am getting a box kit of Frostgrave Soldiers and a 50/50 mix box kit of Viking Hirdmen and Dark Age Warriors.   That's around 60 soldiers or so -- more than enough for my nephew and myself to each form a warband or two.

I was just wondering since they are similar sculpts and we'll be sharing them.. what's the best way to make them stand out from each other, as a team?

Bases. Finish the bases differently between the two sides and you will be able to tell them apart easily. Give one side rocky bases and the other grassy, etc.

Offline Jennifer

• Scientist
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2016, 09:10:36 PM »
Bases. Finish the bases differently between the two sides and you will be able to tell them apart easily. Give one side rocky bases and the other grassy, etc.

I like this idea thank you!  I'll probably be using this.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 09:14:43 PM by Jennifer »

Offline CthulhuPunk

• Librarian
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2016, 06:51:52 PM »
I wasn't sure if in the original post you were simply asking about whether to use metal to practice or asking about generic tips for painting? If it's technique you are looking for then I do have a bit of quick advice.

I was out the hobby for a while and found when I finally returned I had a new found patience and ability to learn! My sister and brother-in-law have recently started and apart from my advice on how to start they found that the How to Paint Citadel Miniatures book to be great help. The new version comes with a DVD which is really good production quality. You can pick it up cheap on eBay, it's the version that is ring bound, just make sure the DVD comes with it. It obviously showcases GW version of every hobby product under the sun, but the techniques are still sound for any brand you eventually choose!
Follow more witterings on Twitter: @CthulhuPunk

Offline ChaosChild

• Librarian
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2016, 08:24:49 PM »
Paint each warband with a different colour scheme, that's how I'm differentiating between my forces.

Offline Jennifer

• Scientist
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2016, 04:39:42 AM »
I have this huge metal Ral Partha frost giant to glue together at the waist.

What glue should I use for this?  I have e6000, super glue & pva here.  along with glue gun.

Offline throwsFireball

• Scientist
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2016, 04:47:45 AM »
I have this huge metal Ral Partha frost giant to glue together at the waist.

What glue should I use for this?  I have e6000, super glue & pva here.  along with glue gun.

First off, drill and pin.

Second off, I usually use a mix resin epoxy and then green stuff around the gaps. Strong bond within about 3 hours and the green stuff secures it. Just... Make sure you don't fuck up. o_o

Also, I'm really upset that this is on eBay for £11 in America (but with £10 shipping) but for £35 in England. This kills the man.

It's a good looking miniature, can't wait to see what you do with it.

Offline Jennifer

• Scientist
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2016, 08:31:40 AM »
First off, drill and pin.

Second off, I usually use a mix resin epoxy and then green stuff around the gaps. Strong bond within about 3 hours and the green stuff secures it. Just... Make sure you don't fuck up. o_o

Also, I'm really upset that this is on eBay for £11 in America (but with £10 shipping) but for £35 in England. This kills the man.

It's a good looking miniature, can't wait to see what you do with it.

Oops, I superglued it.  Hope it holds.  I guess if it breaks, I'll clean it up and do the drill/pin thing like you say.

Offline throwsFireball

• Scientist
« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2016, 09:27:47 AM »
Oops, I superglued it.  Hope it holds.  I guess if it breaks, I'll clean it up and do the drill/pin thing like you say.

Honestly, if it's sticking, it'll probably stick (for a few years, at least). For me, it usually just falls off and I hate myself.

Offline stone-cold-lead

• Mastermind
« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2016, 09:37:10 AM »

If there's a big enough surface area for the join then superglue should be fine.

Offline Billchuck

• Scientist
    • Velociengineer.net
« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2016, 01:16:39 PM »
If there's a big enough surface area for the join then superglue should be fine.
Big enough and well-fitting. Superglue works best when there are no gaps in the join between the two parts. If the pieces don't fit tightly together, use epoxy instead.