Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:58:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: SAGA: Aetius & Arthur – new rules for the Late Roman period  (Read 25589 times)

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
Re: SAGA: Aetius & Arthur – new rules for the Late Roman period
« Reply #75 on: December 06, 2016, 11:09:36 PM »
Thanks very much for that Coenus. You are halfway to having done a proper review of the supplement  lol

I get the impression Britons versus Saxons won't be that different to Anglo-Saxons versus Vikings? The Romans do seem interesting with their artillery and I believe they get cataphracts?

Offline Nord

• Mad Scientist
    • Nord's Painting Saga
« Reply #76 on: December 09, 2016, 12:51:31 PM »
Any commentary on the Picts, think they appeal to me as a painter more than anything else, but would like to know how they play too.

Offline Coenus Scaldingus

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #77 on: December 09, 2016, 05:16:33 PM »
I get the impression Britons versus Saxons won't be that different to Anglo-Saxons versus Vikings? The Romans do seem interesting with their artillery and I believe they get cataphracts?
That's probably a pretty fair assessment, at least the impression I got from looking at the boards. I suppose that tends to be the strategy of raiders and island dwellers! Then again, they will behave quite differently in terms of set-up (big units vs close deployment) and thankfully (as my opponent is growing his Saxon horde) the invaders have no access to crazy berserkers with a massive hoard of re-rollable dice! Anyway, the Romans can have cataphracts indeed; hadn't looked at them much as they're a 'named' unit, but they're pretty interesting: aside from being a bit tougher, they also allow warriors in the army to be mounted, but more importantly, all abilities on the board that reduce the impetus value will do so by 1 point less, which is rather a massive boost. Don't suppose GB's next plastic set will be Late Roman cavalry? Because I have a sudden desire to have a pile of them...

Any commentary on the Picts, think they appeal to me as a painter more than anything else, but would like to know how they play too.
Haven't looked at them into any great detail (guess I'll have done a full review before too long after all!), but they're along the lines of Welsh and Irish as a skirmishy force that likes terrain, if you're familiar with those. Very much melee oriented however (although one unit of levy can have crossbows), with some offensive and defensive abilities, as well as various tricksy movement ones. The most eye-catching aspect is the ability for a warlord to ride into battle on a chariot! A more commanding presence (increased We Obey range), but no Side-by-Side. An additional benefit is the ability to retreat L after a lost combat - heroically running away, I suppose...
~Ad finem temporum~

Offline Coenus Scaldingus

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #78 on: December 21, 2016, 11:38:13 AM »
Well, your wait is.. not quite at an end. But the end is in sight! http://www.grippingbeast.co.uk/SAGA_Aetius__Arthur_Supplement_PREORDER--product--5432.html

Offline ayak333

• Librarian
« Reply #79 on: January 22, 2017, 07:44:42 PM »
Any looks at the Gothic faction, unit compositions, and board abilities?

Offline axabrax

• Mastermind
« Reply #80 on: April 16, 2017, 05:42:49 PM »
As usual GB has under-produced the new Romans and Britons dice. They are sold out everywhere. This seems to be a continuing refrain with Saga that is really disappointing. When the game first came out I had to wait 8 months for the dice to be available. By now one would think they had enough experience to match their manufacturing with demand. Anyone have an extra set they want yo sell?  ;)

Offline Dags

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #81 on: April 16, 2017, 06:03:00 PM »
The Roman dice are produced by Studio Tomahawk.... nowt to do with GB

Edit: We've got stock at Ainsty
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 06:56:52 PM by Dags »

Offline Lt. Hazel

• Mastermind
    • The Leutnant´s Diary
« Reply #82 on: April 16, 2017, 07:05:21 PM »
As usual GB has under-produced the new Romans and Britons dice. They are sold out everywhere. This seems to be a continuing refrain with Saga that is really disappointing. When the game first came out I had to wait 8 months for the dice to be available. By now one would think they had enough experience to match their manufacturing with demand. Anyone have an extra set they want yo sell?  ;)

Ask Michael at Miniaturicum. He asked me a few days ago of I need some Roman dice.