Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:05:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686614
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 10mm ACW project kick-off...  (Read 3668 times)

Offline Kugelfang

• Bookworm
    • Petite Guerre
10mm ACW project kick-off...
« on: March 30, 2016, 02:17:19 PM »
Hello fellow LAF denizens,

It's been years since I've taken up a new project. Or played a game for that matter. But inspiration has hit. I'm twiddling my toes into the ACW river. No pictures yet, but my blog has some of my initial thoughts: http://petiteguerre.blogspot.com/

Does anyone here have any experience with Bob Jones' 'Die Fighting II'? I've purchased the rules and I'm liking what I see but first hand experience is always a good sign post.

I'm looking forward to this.

--jeff
http://www.petiteguerre.blogspot.com

"The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there."
    -- 'The Go-Between', Leslie P. Hartley (1895-1972)

Offline Kugelfang

• Bookworm
    • Petite Guerre
Re: 10mm ACW project kick-off...
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2016, 06:16:23 PM »
And they're off!

Some progress made on my 10mm ACW on t'blog: http://petiteguerre.blogspot.com/ . Now with pictures... I'd love to hear your thoughts.

--jeff

Offline General Lee

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2016, 09:31:29 PM »
Some nice little figures! They look great. Goes really fast I presume
\"It is well that war is so terrible, or we should grow too fond of it.\"

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2016, 09:58:21 PM »
Those look very good, nice start to the collection.

For smaller scales you may want to consider making your bases a shade or two lighter/brighter.
You need something to replace the detail and associated colours normally visible on 15mm and 25mm figures, as without it regiments of smaller figures on dark bases will appear very monotone (ACW not being one of history's more colourful eras).
Once you get down to 10mm and more so 6mm the total base becomes what catches the eye as individually the figures do not.

Nice blog also....really like your Ironclads collection.

Offline Kugelfang

• Bookworm
    • Petite Guerre
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2016, 11:14:50 AM »
Thanks, gentlemen.

@General Lee, yes the painting goes faster than I expected. I think maybe 3 hours of actual painting time not including the priming phases. Maybe another hour there. I've always read that 10mm figures paint up faster than you'd think and in my experience it seems to be true. And I've never been known for speed.

@Robh, thanks for the tip. Yeah, ACW can be visually bland, especially in a small scale. I've got the Confederates on the painting sticks so I may try your suggestion when I get to basing them.

--jeff

Offline Kugelfang

• Bookworm
    • Petite Guerre
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2016, 07:30:21 PM »
Yet more progress... progressing.

At least now I've got opposing forces. Not many, but enough to start tinkering with a new set of rules.

More on the blog: http://petiteguerre.blogspot.com/2016/05/core-confederates_24.html

--jeff

Offline Deadestdai

• Assistant
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2016, 10:28:49 PM »
15mm was a pig to paint for me as my Rebs had all sorts of details that their 28mm counterparts also sported.

10mm seems far less of a struggle in contrast.

Very nice start sir. Not familiar with the rules set that you've mentioned. Brigade/Division/Army sized?

Offline jambo1

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2016, 07:57:03 AM »
Looking good, nice start to your project, I am currently building up forces myself, still to paint them tho!!!

Offline n815e

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2016, 01:16:06 PM »
Great work.  I've always liked the look of the Cracker Line/Plank Road miniatures.

Offline Kugelfang

• Bookworm
    • Petite Guerre
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2016, 03:48:35 PM »
Thanks, guys.

I really appreciate the Cracker Line/Plank Road figures. I just received some Magister Militum figures and I don't think they come up to the same standard. Don't get me wrong, they're good figures. They're a good match in size, though the MM horses are noticeably smaller. But the figures aren't as cleanly cast (a BIG DEAL in my view these days--I HATE cleaning figs!). Nor is there much variety in posing. I'll paint 'em up and add them to the forces but I'll probably stick to the CL/PR from here on out.

The Die Fighting II rules caught my interest because of a couple of interesting mechanisms. I think of them as rather 'Old School' in style and generic in approach which appeals to me. The author doesn't explicitly say that they are for any particular level, though in my my mind I consider them as regimental level because your units are split between a number of stands so that you can represent line, column, square, skirmish, etc. I just see those as regimental commands (though I suppose they would have been issued at the company level in the real world). You don't remove casualties due to losses, but the unit's morale is adjusted as it takes losses and is forced back. So basing is not terribly important as long as you can represent the various formations.

What really interested me, though, was they way army efficiency is handled via the number of dice you use during the game. You start out with a set number of dice and as you issue commands you remove the dice from play. While you do get some of them back, they slowly (or quickly depending on how demanding you are of your troops) dwindle away. When you're out of dice, essentially you lose control of the army. I think this is an elegant way of tracking command control and the deterioration of control over the course of battle.

The other mechanism that intrigues me is that the order in which players accomplish actions is randomized through the use of phase cards. While play alternates between sides, each side may be executing different phases. For example, one side may turn a card that allows artillery fire to take place, while the opposing side's card may allow cavalry actions. Each side has the same six phases (more or less depending on the scenario) but the order in which they progress through those phases is randomized for each side. Overall, I think these are fairly simple mechanisms that introduce the appropriate amount of complexity to decision making. To me, that's the part of a war game that makes it interesting. It should be difficult to decide what to do, difficult to balance the pros and cons of any action. But once the decision is made it should be simple to execute. 

The author, Bob Jones, is also the author of Piquet. I think some of these ideas probably had their genesis in that game.

--jeff

Offline Kugelfang

• Bookworm
    • Petite Guerre
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2016, 02:17:18 PM »
The next installment of my ACW project: some terrain making. At this rate it will be a loooonnng project.

More info on t'blogger thing...http://petiteguerre.blogspot.com/