Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 03:59:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: What scale is 'best'?  (Read 3789 times)

Offline Damas

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
  • Re-enactor, modeller, stooge
What scale is 'best'?
« on: April 10, 2016, 08:06:04 PM »
Hi all,

After reading Amalric's awesome thread http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=88876.0, I want to dabble in zombie related stuff.

I know that there is a plethora of 28mm zombies, survivors, scenery etc., but for value for money and scale I have been considering 20mm and 15mm and it is there that I am getting a bit stuck.

1/ What is the preference of the learned collective here? 20 or 15?

2/ Who are the best go-to stockists for 'stuff' in said scales? (UK for preference,)

3/ The ATZ rules look good but my google-fu is weak and I can't work out where to get a copy and which books I would need.

Thanks for any help and guidance you can give.

"Old gamers don't die, they just smell like that."

Offline Rob_bresnen

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: What scale is 'best'?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2016, 08:28:12 PM »
why would you consider anything other than 28mm?

(that is something of a loaded question)
Theres more 28mm Superhero Madness at my blog, http://fourcoloursupers.blogspot.com/
And for Ultra-modern Wargaming check out Hotel Zugando at http://ultramoderngaming.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2016, 08:55:39 PM »
1/ There are plenty of 1/76, 1/72 modern military vehicles and toy cars about, so if you're not going with 28mm, I'd go for 20mm

2/ No idea for 20mm or 15mm, sorry. Platoon 20 is still about, so you might find something useful there

3/ Two Hours Wargames sell print and pdf versions - link. I bought the pdf and printed it myself. It's mostly tables and words, so not too heavy on the ink (although I may have skipped the cover page). Final Fade out is the core book, so start with that one. Personally, I just can't get into the rules, but others like them, so it's probably just me :)

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2016, 09:06:12 PM »

Because he is not correct.
 ;D

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2016, 11:34:11 PM »
As much as I love the post-apoc stuff, I am no help either, as I only collect God's own scale - 25mm/28mm/32mm.  And yes, I write like that on purpose, because I have been able to make all three together look appropriate as long as you base and paint them adequately.
"There is no known cure for the wargaming virus, only treatments with ever increasing doses of metal."

Offline horridperson

• Mad Scientist
  • Doing the Will of The Horned Cat
    • Void Spaces
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2016, 11:38:51 PM »
You have to ask yourself what your modelling/gameplay preferences are.  The smaller your scale the more epic your table could be.  In 28mm+ my table will never see true skyscrapers on the other hand the character/unit models can be painted more elaborately without ruining the illusion of the scale.  At two such small scales as you are suggesting it is important to carefully consider your manufacturer.  While I have no desire to play at such small scales I have been pleasantly surprised by the high detail that some companies have managed to create.  My preconception of smaller scale miniatures are lumpen masses hardly recognizable as human.

Like the last couple posts I could rib you about avoiding the scale of the master race but I'll leave that alone.  Whatever scale you are modelling or playing at your own enjoyment is most important.

Offline Wilkins

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2016, 11:55:13 PM »
If you opt for 15s I can recommend Khurasan Miniatures. They're not based in the UK but I've ordered from them before and the transaction was seamless and the minis arrived very quickly

lhttp://khurasanminiatures.tripod.com/15mmzombie.html

Offline MrHarold

• Mad Scientist
  • Leading the way to where ever it is we're going...
    • ClearHorizon Miniatures
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2016, 02:27:21 AM »
15mm... obviously. ;)

Check out rebelminis.com

and Ground Zero Games

and tons of others too
ClearHorizon Miniatures - 15mm Sci-Fi Miniatures
http://www.clearhorizonminiatures.com

ClearHorizon Salavge - 15mm Miniatures Blog
http://clearhorizonsalvage.blogspot.com

Offline Damas

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
  • Re-enactor, modeller, stooge
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2016, 07:22:11 AM »
Thanks for the responses chaps!

Gosh, 28mm? I've never seen those before, are they popular?  ;D

Because he is not correct.
 ;D

Git. You, me, a 4mm drill bit and a long spoon are gonna have an 'in depth' discussion!  >:D;D

I'm looking for something a little more epic (as horrid person said) and I want a more civilian look to the scenery and vehicles. A scale with loads of cars and trucks available will give a better representation in my mind.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2016, 07:47:46 AM »
Git. You, me, a 4mm drill bit and a long spoon are gonna have an 'in depth' discussion!  >:D;D

lol lol
You would know more about that than most.
Was it good?
 ;) ;D ;D

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2016, 08:11:41 AM »
The Dr De'ath 15mm scifi project is a favourite thread of mine and even inspired me to have a go myself. TBH though, I didn't like the fiddly-diddly-ness of the teen-tiny minis. All the metals are sold on now. It doesn't stop me admiring Mark's project but for my own accumulating/painting/playing I much prefer the character of 28s. That said, making 15mm terrain was a blast!
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 38
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2016, 08:22:42 AM »
If you opt for 15s I can recommend Khurasan Miniatures. They're not based in the UK but I've ordered from them before and the transaction was seamless and the minis arrived very quickly

lhttp://khurasanminiatures.tripod.com/15mmzombie.html

Mark (Dr DeAth) has purchased lots of the 15mm Zombie stuff from Khurasan and they are lovely miniatures. They have not Walking Dead characters if that helps. Lots of very nice characterful figures.

:) I'd go with those.
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2016, 08:30:44 AM »
If I was to do a post apoc setting not with 28mm I'd choose 20mm (almost wrote 29mm then) it seems that is what the old matchbox cars scale to if I'm correct. Ramshackle do some nice bikers in 20mm if I recall.

Offline Redmao

• Scientist
  • Canadian Agent
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2016, 03:05:06 PM »
If you take the 1/72 route, I'd suggest looking into Caesar Miniatures plastic miniatures.
They make nice modern soldiers, militia and terrorists that can be used as gangers and they even released a box of zombies. The plastic is rather easy to work with and modify when you want to create unique characters.
Preiser also offer unpainted 1/72 civilians if you need them.

For terrain you could HO scale buildings and your local toy store will provide you with tons of possibilities for compatible vehicles like Hot Wheels and Matchbox.

Offline Maxim

• Assistant
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2016, 07:29:38 PM »
Hi all,

After reading Amalric's awesome thread http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=88876.0, I want to dabble in zombie related stuff.

I know that there is a plethora of 28mm zombies, survivors, scenery etc., but for value for money and scale I have been considering 20mm and 15mm and it is there that I am getting a bit stuck.

1/ What is the preference of the learned collective here? 20 or 15?

2/ Who are the best go-to stockists for 'stuff' in said scales? (UK for preference,)

3/ The ATZ rules look good but my google-fu is weak and I can't work out where to get a copy and which books I would need.

Thanks for any help and guidance you can give.

I went for 15mm.  Reason being, there's more figures for it.  HO scale buildings work really well with 15mm, and I hear for 20mm as well.

Now if you want to narrow down the range of figures, say you just want Weird War II with Nazi Zombies, there are some great 20mm ranges, but for sheer choice 15mm is the way to go.  Ultimately, it's your preference, but talk it out with your gaming group and see who's willing to go in with you.  Sucks being the only one providing the minis.

28mm is very nice for Zombieland, but as you specified 20mm or 15mm (they ARE way cheaper) here's a couple tips:

eBay is a great place to find HO scale buildings cheap.  #1 best reason for not going 28mm.  Not knocking 28mm, I have a lovely zombie horde in 28mm. But this means for the price of a very nice 28mm table, you can have 3 or 4 15mm/20mm tables.  Pre-assembled and often they're nice and paint them for you.  Screwed up buildings are sometimes better as well.  It is the apocalypse, you know.

Check out my thread.  The cool building with the wallpaper?  $15 on eBay, didn't do a damn thing to it, just plopped it on the table.

If you go 15mm, you want to collect Matchbox cars.

If you go 20mm, you want to collect Hot Wheels.  General rule of thumb there.  Not every Hot Wheel looks out of place with 15mm, and not every Matchbox looks too small with 20mm. But I'd say it's about 90%.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 07:38:38 PM by Maxim »