Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:22:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 6mm dieselpunk, Diorama p.22  (Read 75714 times)

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
Re: 6mm miyazaki fantasy project. Renders galore!
« Reply #105 on: July 24, 2016, 02:20:33 PM »
"EDIT: The girl made me re-do the renders as the compositions were bugging her. "
"Personally, I prefer the Laputa style fins, but that's just me "
"...but they would be a challenge to print. (and cast if anybody is up to the challenge)..."

Normally, the challenge can be lessened in casting by making it multi-part. Have you tried this with printed objects? Oh, and what was 'bugging her?'

Thanks guys, printing a sword and shield armed one right now, Most of the unit should be heavy rifles though.

Multi part is still an option, but these things are pretty simple in shape, but would require a lot of support point to keep them stable. I think if I want to do something like that I'd be better of scratch building it rather then trying to clean up those prints.

Probably nobody actually saw the originals, I replaced them pretty quickly, they had the point of interest of in corners and strange cut-offs mostly. Basically they were badly framed pictures.
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline VoidValue

• Assistant
Re: 6mm miyazaki fantasy project. First infantry painted page 6
« Reply #106 on: July 24, 2016, 03:01:59 PM »
This kinda just happened. There goes my Sunday morning.
<snip>

These are excellent.

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #107 on: July 24, 2016, 03:02:47 PM »
These are excellent.

In two hours we will know if they print OK.

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #108 on: July 25, 2016, 08:03:51 AM »
you are a machine of production at the moment

Don't tell Nic, I have been a bit slow on his stuff at the moment.  :?

Offline N.C.S.E

• Scientist
« Reply #109 on: July 25, 2016, 08:24:20 AM »
Love your ideas, big fan of Miyazaki.

On comment I'd make on your designs is that they look a little too art nouveau/deco with all the plant like curves etc. When I look at Miyazaki's craft, they do have a certain sleekness to them, but they also have this extremely grey industrial slabness to them as well.

Just my 2 cents/yen :P

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #110 on: July 25, 2016, 08:30:21 AM »
Love your ideas, big fan of Miyazaki.

On comment I'd make on your designs is that they look a little too art nouveau/deco with all the plant like curves etc. When I look at Miyazaki's craft, they do have a certain sleekness to them, but they also have this extremely grey industrial slabness to them as well.

Just my 2 cents/yen :P

I get what your saying, but most of the stuff I've done so far has been almost directly copied from existing ghibli designs.  :D
On the aircraft though your right, this is mostly because I need the curves to look good and then will flatten of some areas with more mechanical details.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #111 on: July 26, 2016, 09:08:04 PM »
This kinda just happened. There goes my Sunday morning.

They look great, wish I could source some 28mm figs for Nasica. :D
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Mr.Marx

• Mastermind
    • Bloggity-Blog-Blog / "The Zone"
« Reply #112 on: July 26, 2016, 10:29:28 PM »
This is just fantastic.

That airship captures the look of the one from HMC perfectly. I'm not sure about the new 'spiky bit off the top of an iron gate' tail fin though. Are you going to add big guns like the ones on the Goliath or the ones from HMC? And how big would the thing be when printed out?

Will be watching this one.

MM.

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #113 on: July 27, 2016, 07:59:40 AM »
This is just fantastic.

That airship captures the look of the one from HMC perfectly. I'm not sure about the new 'spiky bit off the top of an iron gate' tail fin though. Are you going to add big guns like the ones on the Goliath or the ones from HMC? And how big would the thing be when printed out?

The tail fin is very much like the ones in howl, which in turn were inspired by the work of Albert Robida, most of his airships have fins like that. I wanted to incorporate some more of that influence as well, just for the fun of it.

But I get what your saying, on the whole the back end does still need something, probably something horizontal.

Oh yes there are going to be a lot of guns on the airship, mostly small turrets like the Goliath I think. A few of the HMC designs of cannons that are just too large imho. I'm aiming at making this one something between 7 and 10 Cm. I'm aiming for a game to be played on a very small (table 3x3 feet) so it would be pretty big at that size.

Offline Mr.Marx

• Mastermind
    • Bloggity-Blog-Blog / "The Zone"
« Reply #114 on: July 27, 2016, 01:32:47 PM »
The tail fin is very much like the ones in howl, which in turn were inspired by the work of Albert Robida, most of his airships have fins like that. I wanted to incorporate some more of that influence as well, just for the fun of it.

But I get what your saying, on the whole the back end does still need something, probably something horizontal.

Oh yes there are going to be a lot of guns on the airship, mostly small turrets like the Goliath I think. A few of the HMC designs of cannons that are just too large imho. I'm aiming at making this one something between 7 and 10 Cm. I'm aiming for a game to be played on a very small (table 3x3 feet) so it would be pretty big at that size.

On the tail fin, have you coincided something along the lines of the tail of the early Lebaudy airships? I've always seen them as the perfect combination of elegance and practicality.

All sounds fantastic. Will be watching this one.

MM.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 02:00:16 PM by Mr.Marx »

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #115 on: July 31, 2016, 08:46:53 AM »
Yes those tails are definitely something to think about.

The armored guard printed pretty nicely, the only thing that didn't really show up was the face slits, which I would have loved but you can't have everything. I printed two sword and shield guys, two with rifles, one with a big old axe for a leader and a second row of the guys without their arms showing.

Clearly I also wasn't the only one with nausica on the mind, looks like somebody is releasing an articulated version of those winged tapeworm things. Looks pretty cool but a but rich for my blood.

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #116 on: August 01, 2016, 12:05:02 PM »
Luvly airships! Can't wait for a gander at your final design.

I've considered the onslaught stuff, but tbh most tyranid designs don't have enough legs to my taste.  ;D

Quite right, quite right. :D

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #117 on: August 01, 2016, 01:18:25 PM »
Quite right, quite right. :D

Looking at the epic nids, I like the bigger stuff, but not the small scale versions of existing models. Thinking about what it was I didn't like I concluded that they are far to human for me. I want actual bugs, not the guy in a rubber suit most 28mm nid stuff has. More legs is a big part of it, but there are epic specific tyranid critters I do like.

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #118 on: August 01, 2016, 02:05:08 PM »
I'm probably preaching to the choir, but have you seen the 6mm bugs from Dark Realm Miniatures? Ironically I passed them over because they didn't look tyranid-y enough for my liking, but they might suit a Miyazaki-themed project. :)

Linking to Microworld because DRM don't have pics up on their site. Some that might be more suitable (less man-in-a-suitish) but there are others:

http://www.microworldgames.com/collections/dark-realm-miniatures/products/critters-defenders
http://www.microworldgames.com/collections/dark-realm-miniatures/products/kraon-beast
http://www.microworldgames.com/collections/dark-realm-miniatures/products/leapers
http://www.microworldgames.com/collections/dark-realm-miniatures/products/malcore-beasts
http://www.microworldgames.com/collections/dark-realm-miniatures/products/skyth-beast-1

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #119 on: August 01, 2016, 03:28:27 PM »
I know them, and while most of them don't have the humanoid aspect they aren't bug like enough to my liking. I'm being rather pedantic I know. I might just end up sculpting them myself in the end.