Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 12:58:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Warren's General 15mm Fantasy Thread  (Read 3405 times)

Offline Warren Abox

• Scientist
    • War In A Box - New Location!
Warren's General 15mm Fantasy Thread
« on: August 11, 2016, 09:20:52 PM »
2016 has been the year of 15mm Fantasy at Chez Inabox.  I've posted a few shots of my dungeon tile project over in the Workbench forum, but after a few months of stabbing figures with brushes now have a tidy little collection of heroes and monsters with which to populate the dungeons beneath Castle Meatgrinder.  Here's a few choice shots, more are available at my blog, War In A Box.

Right now I've just got one mercenary warband painted up.  These are from Ral Partha Europe's Blighthaven line.  More adventurers to come.

Everybody's favorite villains, the evil cultists:

I've also had some fun looting Reaper Mini's line of Bones figures for useful monsters like this Filth Beast

And these familiars that work great in 15mm:

Or these Hordelings:

Right now the undead figures are painted, but waiting for a little basework touch up.  The unpainted lead pile still has a couple packs of random adventurers from 15mm.co.uk, frogmen and pig-faced orcs from Splintered Light, and some other odds and ends.  So there's a lot more coming down the pike.  I'll try to remember to cross-post them here as they cross the workbench finish line.

Offline Globlin

• Librarian
Re: Warren's General 15mm Fantasy Thread
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2016, 09:38:46 PM »
Impressive paintjobs for 15mm! I tried my hand at the Ral Partha mercenaries, but my eyes couldn't cope with strain and nor could my sausage fingers  lol
Adventures? Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner!

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2016, 09:55:42 PM »
Great stuff! I really like those mercenary archers - you've made them look splendidly unsavoury.

Offline Hybrid Alpha

• Assistant
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2016, 10:12:59 PM »
Great paint jobs on some characterful miniatures. I think I might get some of those cultists and use them as necromancers for my undead. The Reaper Bones work really well with  15mm miniatures too.

Offline Oldben1

• Mastermind
    • My Terrain Projects
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2016, 02:44:32 AM »
Cool stuff, I really like your color palette.  I like lighter colors on the tinier models.  I went with the 10mm for my dungeon, I wish I had waited for all the 15mm awesomeness.

Your sci fi stuff is cool too.

Offline Warren Abox

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2016, 10:31:07 PM »
Thanks guys.  I've found that the 15mm.co.uk cultists (both fantasy and sci-fi) work great with the Partha figs.  If somebody wanted to make a 15mm 40K Inquisition force, that'd be the way to do it.

The colors look great in close-up photos, and I'll be sticking with them for consistency.  But frankly, on the table, they tend to get lost.  If I were to start over, I'd probably use a little brighter palette.

Offline Warren Abox

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2016, 06:52:56 PM »
Skeletons this time around:

Offline Hybrid Alpha

• Assistant
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2016, 09:00:31 PM »
Nice!  :)

The zombies on your blog are great too. I've never considered using 15mm miniatures for dungeon crawls. Now I'm wondering why not! It would take up less room on the table, and my daughters actually prefer 15's to 28's. Maybe I'll breakout the old Red Box D&D basic and run some good old fashioned dungeon crawls. I going to go look for your dungeon tiles workbench thread now :)

Offline Reed

• Mad Scientist
  • Once bought, must be painted.
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2016, 10:51:43 PM »
I'm considering to step into 15mm for both fantasy and sci-fi with projects like this.

Offline Warren Abox

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2016, 12:21:28 AM »
I've never considered using 15mm miniatures for dungeon crawls. Now I'm wondering why not!

Until relatively recently there just wasn't enough variety to make it work, particularly in the player character realm.  Orcs, goblins, and lizardmen armies were easy to assemble, but the sort of variety in figures and poses that you need to make a dungeon crawl work just weren't there.  That's to say nothing of finding all the odd sorts of non-humanoid monsters found in every iteration of the dungeon crawl.  You can have all the orcs in the world, but without otyughs, beholders, ropers, and slimes, itwould always lack something.

These days with outfits like Ral Partha Europe, Splintered Light, HOT at 15mm.co.uk, and more than a few suitable 10mm figures from Pendraken, we have an embarrassment of riches.

Offline Steam Flunky

• Mastermind
  • Stop the world.I want to get off!
    • My Miniature collections on Flickr
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2016, 06:27:59 AM »
Lovely collection. Looking forward to seeing some game pics on your dungeon tiles.
laf medals by Robert  (steam flunky), auf Flickrhttps://www.flickr.com/photos/torq42/sets/

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2016, 07:56:13 AM »
Cracking stuff! 15mm fantasy is the way forwards!

Offline Steam Flunky

• Mastermind
  • Stop the world.I want to get off!
    • My Miniature collections on Flickr
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2016, 08:45:15 PM »
Cracking stuff! 15mm fantasy is the way forwards!
Damned right!!!

Offline Warren Abox

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2016, 01:14:50 AM »
Got my first few genuine PC figures painted up:

These shots are taken right after the dullcoat.  Those lingering grass threads will get worn off naturally during normal play.

And painted up a pair of pack animals for use as well:

The smaller horses are 10mm figures from Pendraken.  The rest of the figures are from 15mm.co.uk. Together they make for good variety, as the smaller look like pack ponies compared to the larger packhorses.

My painting has slowed to a trickle, but I'll keep them coming as long as I can.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 01:16:34 AM by Warren Abox »