Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 09:45:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
  • Total Members: 10485
  • Latest: Zombiu
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1694527
  • Total Topics: 118614
  • Online Today: 576
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: New Copplestone Africa at last  (Read 5328 times)

Offline Steve F

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Pedantic bugger, apparently.
New Copplestone Africa at last
« on: September 17, 2016, 09:25:25 AM »
Just saw this new pack of "African Princesses" from Copplestone:

http://www.copplestonecastings.co.uk/prod.php?prod=411

The one in the wrapped headdress, in particular, could be used in so many settings right up to the present.
Back from the dead, almost.

Offline Stu

• Mad Scientist
Re: New Copplestone Africa at last
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2016, 10:25:03 AM »
Looks like my next purchase.

Offline The Dozing Dragon

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • The Little Soldier Company
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2016, 10:45:13 AM »
At last!

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2016, 11:00:40 AM »
Well well. The great man springs back into action after a looooooooooong lay-off.

Let's hope this is the shape of things to come.

Prompted by 'Congo' no doubt, and the incipient resurgence of all things Darkest Africa for the next year or two. To be fair though, Copplestone pretty much single-handedly invented the original DA genre as a wargames setting, first with his massive range for Foundry and then with his own range. So if anyone is entitled to come back for another bite of the cherry it's him.

I'm just glad to see him sculpting again. I know he's done a few figures for Frostgrave, but apart from that, it's been an almost entirely fallow 4 or 5 years. So great news :)

He's still simply the best.

Offline Steve F

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Pedantic bugger, apparently.
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2016, 11:22:48 AM »

Prompted by 'Congo' no doubt

North Star's Twitter says, "When we were reading Congo, the new game from Studio Tomahawk, one of the scenarios needed a Princess figure...."

I'm just glad to see him sculpting again. I know he's done a few figures for Frostgrave, but apart from that, it's been an almost entirely fallow 4 or 5 years. So great news :)

There are also five new packs of Halflings in the "Copplestone Collection" category.

Offline Dr. Moebius

• Scientist
  • - per aspera ad astra -
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2016, 11:28:53 AM »
Fantastic!

A while ago I asked Nick from Northstar about news in regards to the new version of Death in the dark Continent. He mentioned that Mark will do some new miniatures for the Darkest Africa setting soon.

Here we go! I'm very excited and hope to see more stuff in the near future. Darkest Africa wargaming is still my favorite.

The princess on the far left looks like a Mangbetu women. I always wanted a Mangbetu tribe army for my collection though converting these would be a time consuming project.

Let's hope to see some new warriors of different tribes as well as the missing parts from the list Foundry printed in a catalogue nearly 16 years ago (German sailors, German Askari command etc.). That was before Mr. Copplestone decided to go for his own company. Though after that he still released miniatures from that list for Copplestone Castings like the Germans and Ngoni that never saw life as Foundry miniatures.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 11:47:14 AM by Dr. Moebius »

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2016, 01:06:07 PM »
They're nice figures. It would be great if there were some new Copplestone DA releases.

Offline Juan

• Mad Scientist
    • Manche´s Walpurgisnacht
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2016, 02:48:57 PM »
Very nice figures and a great news to see new Copplestone´s figures in the market! He is one of the best sculptors, IMHO, with models full of character and a very good balance.
Don´t stop here!

Offline axabrax

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2016, 04:36:07 PM »
Fantastic! This is an inspiration. Really want to see Copplestone return to historical matters as what output there has been over the last few years has been mostly fantasy--although I'd make an exception for Barbarica Romans  :D

I do indeed hope there will be an African Renaissance!

Offline Sir Barnaby Hammond-Rye

• Mastermind
    • The Tekumel Project
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2016, 07:56:49 PM »
There is an African adventure scenario that I have run several times that always features a "Tribal Princess" figure as an encounter. She joins whatever expedition (ie. Player) that meets her and can sometimes help with natives. The game has both strategic and tactical moves on the same tabletop. The table represents miles of wilderness and I just telescope time and space as necessary. The expeditions are each trying to grab the treasure from the temple at the far end. The table is divided (using terrain features) into large squares, each of which is assumed to have 4 smaller squares inside. Each turn an expedition moves up to 3 small squares. Each time they pass into a new large square I check for an encounter. There is always a river sonewhere that they have to cross. When they do, a roll of '6' means a crocodile has taken one of their men.

In one game the British player had the gold treasure plus the princess. Of course, now all the other players were trying to catch him.

He crossed the river, losing his trusted Sgt.

Then they forced him back across again. He rolled another '6'!

Oh No! It was just him, the treasure and the Princess.

I said: "You can throw the treasure at the croc and save the Princess!"

What do you think he did?

Bye, bye, Princess! :-)

Offline Leapsnbounds

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2016, 02:02:45 AM »
This is wonderful news, I hope to be able to add these characters to my African Adventures.

Offline Sir Rodney Ffing

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2016, 10:23:29 AM »
Welcome back to Mr Copplestone.  I hope the arrival of Congo will have stimulated his creative juices, woken up his muse, helped him find his Darkest Africa mojo or whatever, and there will be more to follow.

Offline Ivan DBA

• Bookworm
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2016, 08:50:42 PM »
You guys make it sound like he hasn't sculpted anything in years; not true. He's done fantastic 15mm Fantasy figures, and great stuff for Frostgrave, just to name the two I'm familiar with. 

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2016, 09:04:39 PM »
Excellent news!

Offline Arthur

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2016, 09:39:54 PM »
You guys make it sound like he hasn't sculpted anything in years; not true. He's done fantastic 15mm Fantasy figures, and great stuff for Frostgrave, just to name the two I'm familiar with.  

He didn't stop sculpting but his output was greatly reduced over the past few years. I think I read somewhere that he got himself a regular day job at some point, which didn't leave much time for putty pushing.