Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 02:35:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690983
  • Total Topics: 118362
  • Online Today: 706
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Downed Vickers Type 56 Victoria (former BSC 2017 entry)  (Read 20861 times)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
Re: Downed Vickers Type 56 Victoria (former BSC 2017 entry)
« Reply #135 on: May 10, 2018, 06:37:41 PM »
"And Enoch walked with God: and he was not; for God took him."

I find the presence in ancient Rabbinic literature of a name that was obviously meant to be used in a Sci-Fi story about giant robots to be clear evidence of time travel.

This has seriously freaked me out, because I had just been reading about James Bruce discovering extant copies of the Book of Enoch in Ethiopia when I saw this.

I thought Metatron, 'The Voice of God', would be an apropriate name for a Mk. V (only one ever made) armed with heavy 1930s ghetto blasters...

« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 06:41:04 PM by Hammers »

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #136 on: May 10, 2018, 06:49:01 PM »
Well he's a fallen Angel now. That much is for sure.

Really cool plane, I kind of want one. I would probably use it to inflict Abba, Boney M,  Motorhead and the Dead Kennedys on my neighbours if I had one. I wonder exactly how many rebels were actually "cowed" by those "verbal bombs?" More than none?

By the way, look at those two dirty devils in the nose. What an earth are they up to? I mean, you expect that kind of thing in the Navy, but the RAF?  lol

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #137 on: May 10, 2018, 06:53:51 PM »
The sheets are bran new and I use Microset and Microsol. I think it is all about me being out of practice. The white decal sheet feels rather thick though(?)

Did you clean the areas where the decals where put with white spirit? The metal sheet might of had a thin coating on them.
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
« Reply #138 on: May 10, 2018, 07:00:21 PM »
Did you clean the areas where the decals where put with white spirit? The metal sheet might of had a thin coating on them.

What am I, a surgeon? No I did not and probably paid for it.

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #139 on: May 10, 2018, 07:02:27 PM »
What am I, a surgeon?

Might want to look at your career choices then  ;D

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
« Reply #140 on: May 10, 2018, 07:02:58 PM »
Well he's a fallen Angel now. That much is for sure.

Really cool plane, I kind of want one. I would probably use it to inflict Abba, Boney M,  Motorhead and the Dead Kennedys on my neighbours if I had one. I wonder exactly how many rebels were actually "cowed" by those "verbal bombs?" More than none?

By the way, look at those two dirty devils in the nose. What an earth are they up to? I mean, you expect that kind of thing in the Navy, but the RAF?  lol

I think it is quite possible to cow the rowdy Wazirs with a *really* witty Noel Coward tune. Possibly Abba to.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 08:28:04 AM by Hammers »

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #141 on: May 10, 2018, 08:35:46 PM »
Cor,

There's been a fair gallop of progress since I last looked in.
 I admire the sheer effort you've poured into this. I'd have thrown a shiny metallic spray paint at it and said near enough.

I must confess I'm looking forward to the finished model.

Mark.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
« Reply #142 on: May 10, 2018, 08:44:47 PM »

I think it is quite considerate AND progressive how the RAF furnished their bombers with litte intimate chambres separee for the crewmen who get overcome with *hrmhrm* lonliness. Just look how they’ve mattressed the walls and everything...
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 02:05:09 PM by Hammers »

Offline Rich H

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #143 on: May 10, 2018, 10:06:01 PM »
Bloody hell.  Amazing!

Decals vary hugely in quality and they also don't survive storage very well.
When building models with the cadets I buy the cheapest kits I can (mostly as a) if you can build them you can build anything and b) they'll bollicks them up anyway) and the decals vary from amazingly easy to fragile-butterfly-wing-delicate-tests-of-patience.  The thin ones give better results but boy are they hard work!

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
« Reply #144 on: May 12, 2018, 08:09:35 PM »
Today, a lovely summer day, btw, I decided I needed a flat game board section to place my crashed Victoria on. Said and done...

I had a few boards prepped a couple of years ago: 60 by 60cm, 10mm thick MDF laminated with 10cm pink XPS. To give it a flat but natural  look I applied a naked flame to the surface with a minitorch, makimg soft indentures and grooves ehre and there.

I use the same established and tried receipt for the ground work. I have a large box of Celluclay brand paper mache which dyed with water based wood stain, Herdin#71  'Modebrun'. That particular stain, together with the grey paper mache makes for a nice burnt umber earth color with I have chosen as a base for all my NWF terrain and miniatures. Squeezing the paper mache into a clay-like, but not wet, mass was a source of great amusement to my son and his friend, as they though I was hands deep in unadulterated shit. Finally a good dollop of carpenters glue was kneaded into the mach and a thin layer of glue was brushed onto the XPS to ensure a good grip.

The paper mache was spread out by hand (I use disposable rubber gloves as the stain stains like a bastard, no surprise there!) and patted down with a little water to get it fairly smooth.

On top of the paper mache I poured a few patches of glue. On to this I sprinkled gravel and sand in large and small aggregations.

When it all had dried (it only took a couple of hours this sunny day) I dry brushed the burnt umber tone with my standard NWF dirt colours, raw umber and titanium buff.

When the paint was dry I glued patches of static grass in two nuances on top of it. Finally I glued little balls of lichen as shrubs.

The battalion priest, the reverend captain Noeclew, having difficulties finding back to the battalion head quarters after a brisk promenade in the arid landscape of the Valley of Smut.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #145 on: May 12, 2018, 09:51:32 PM »
The board is looking nice. But what I really like is the daisies. It was a lovely day here too, but I didn't go out and enjoy it. I was chained to my LPL bench, my only comfort being that my adopted Indian team, The Royal Challengers Bangalore finally remembered how to play cricket, now that it is almost too late in the season for it to do any good.

Looking forward to more. The excitement levels are rising.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
« Reply #146 on: May 14, 2018, 09:31:39 PM »
Time for some weathering and superdetailing.

The big box is a set of dry pastels. I don't expect to get a lot of use for the neon pink, but you never know... The various earth shade is what we are looking for here. I rub them against rough sandpaper and apply the powder with a soft brush. I have a set rust and soot powders to. The rust wont be necessary on an all aluminum plane like this but the black soot is applied to engines and exhaust. The Tamaiya beauty kit is labeled 'Sand', 'Light sand' and 'Mud'. The pigment is a bit greasy and is applied with a sponge. Looks good.

For shading rivets and such I use the old thinned enamel, brushed on lavishly and whiped of when half set.

I will go easy with this though. I think the wreck will look the best quite shiny.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 02:28:25 PM by Hammers »

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
« Reply #147 on: May 14, 2018, 09:34:33 PM »
Oh yeah, I forgot, super detailing... It is not all that super, but some things need to be scattered behind the broken fuselage: a Wolseley, a Enfield rifle, a cot, a luggage rack, some luggage. Not much but just to add some interest and further chaos to the scene.

Offline marianas_gamer

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Our Man on Guam Watchman in the East
« Reply #148 on: May 14, 2018, 09:46:40 PM »
Looks great! I quite like the contrast of the shiny wreck against the earth tones of the base. I think that your proposed scatter will work well. You might consider a couple of brightly colored bits of detritus for a bit of contrast. I am quite sure that something odd or amusing will spring forth from your fertile imagination  lol
Lon
Got to kick at the darkness till it bleeds daylight.

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #149 on: May 17, 2018, 05:22:41 AM »
This is fantastic, so glad this particular project has been dusted off and is being completed!

The metal tape makes for a really good looking aircraft skin, especially where it's damaged and shredded.

Onward!