Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:07:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686604
  • Total Topics: 118111
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: [kickstarter] HMAS Furious - project launched  (Read 6937 times)

Offline fergal

• Mad Scientist
    • Crossover Miniatures
Re: HMAS Furious [KS Make 100]
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2017, 03:26:34 AM »
Made some more pieces and improved upon one bit that didn't work.

I made some tail fins for the ship today, I really like how they turned out, give the ship a bit of a slick feel I think.

After spending many hours on the initial design, I found out I didn't have a material that would bend to the curve I had designed the turret protrusions to, so I had to increase the radius by 20mm, but that adds a nice bit of deck room for playing on as well.

To save building the entire ship again before I knew if it would work, I just built the relative bits. 

Here's what it looks like from the top and it should give a good idea of the footprint when it's finished.  I've already modified the files, so the next build will have this size protrusion on it.

Now I just need to make the second and third levels a bit less long to better accommodate the smoke stacks.  Once I do that I'll build it again and then I'll add the texture, doors, and portholes.

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2017, 01:09:05 PM »
After spending many hours on the initial design, I found out I didn't have a material that would bend to the curve I had designed the turret protrusions to, so I had to increase the radius by 20mm, but that adds a nice bit of deck room for playing on as well.

I call 'good thing' as it look a bit crowded for the gun I had in mind. Figures would help to gauge, but sounds right.

Quote from: fergal
Here's what it looks like from the top and it should give a good idea of the footprint when it's finished.  I've already modified the files, so the next build will have this size protrusion on it.

*ahem*

"Okay, get a couple of yardsticks, put the ship on the floor framed in an L by the sticks,..."  >:(

;)

Doug

Offline fergal

• Mad Scientist
    • Crossover Miniatures
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2017, 02:15:48 PM »

*ahem*

"Okay, get a couple of yardsticks, put the ship on the floor framed in an L by the sticks,..."  >:(

I'll see what I can find, perhaps my wife has a yardstick around.  I work in metric (as metric actually makes sense).  Thought it won't do as much good until the new build is complete with the new measurements for accuracy in pictures.

Here are the numbers from my plans

width at widest point: 383mm (≃15 inches)
length at longest point: 613mm (≃24 inches)

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2017, 11:32:29 AM »
 lol

Metre rules would be fine; I'm getting pretty good at conversions. 'Yardstick' is old guy talk. Did I mention I'm one?  :D

I think it helps when gauging parts as well as the whole; not sure I'd have given my opinion on the 'protrusions', but if I had, I'd have had a better idea of what I thought would work.

Doug

Offline fergal

• Mad Scientist
    • Crossover Miniatures
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2017, 05:42:22 AM »
Here we are, the final fittings are being done now.  I think the first level is set.

O
I'm going to work on the nest level and get the posts finished nest,
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 05:47:02 AM by fergal »

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2017, 07:19:23 AM »
One quick question, Fergal, based on my experiences painting these - is it possible to cut the details a little bit deeper, to make them stand out better when painting and drybrushing, or is that a technical difficulty I don't know about because, well, I don't own a laser?
"There is no known cure for the wargaming virus, only treatments with ever increasing doses of metal."

Offline LCpl McDoom

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2017, 12:31:45 PM »
It's a lovely design. I like the Aberdeen-Class up on the site, and will one day put that order in, and I think this would compliment that well. Only thing I might be tempted to do is to replace the highest upperwork level with a 'flying bridge' and leave space for a gun mount - something akin to the Frederik layout. But that's all just tinkering ideas as I sit and look at this  :)

Awesome work, well done sir.

Offline fergal

• Mad Scientist
    • Crossover Miniatures
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2017, 03:08:54 PM »
One quick question, Fergal, based on my experiences painting these - is it possible to cut the details a little bit deeper, to make them stand out better when painting and drybrushing, or is that a technical difficulty I don't know about because, well, I don't own a laser?

There are a number of ways to do it.  The most economical and the one I use is to pass over the detail as a 'cut line' and just go quickly and use a lower power.  This still is probably the most costly part of the build as it adds lots of laser time to the ship, which is how I figure out what the prices is.

A more detailed way would be to 'engrave' the details on, which could give you a wider/more defined detail.  This is when the laser head swings back and forth like an ink printer, but this is a very slow process, so much so that I've never used it for a commercial project. 

It really just comes down to time and wear and tear on the machine.  I'm trying to get a place where we are getting the best effect for the money. 

Offline fergal

• Mad Scientist
    • Crossover Miniatures
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2017, 03:12:16 PM »
It's a lovely design. I like the Aberdeen-Class up on the site, and will one day put that order in, and I think this would compliment that well. Only thing I might be tempted to do is to replace the highest upperwork level with a 'flying bridge' and leave space for a gun mount - something akin to the Frederik layout. But that's all just tinkering ideas as I sit and look at this  :)

Awesome work, well done sir.

Thank you LCpl! 

I'm least happy with the top level, but it's a nice little add on there.  I've been scared off of using the flying bridge in designs as that was my least popular design by sales.  Which is a shame as it's VERY common in ships in the 1890's and I think a very cool feature.  I'd love to see what you could do with it!

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2017, 03:27:58 PM »
There are a number of ways to do it.  The most economical and the one I use is to pass over the detail as a 'cut line' and just go quickly and use a lower power.  This still is probably the most costly part of the build as it adds lots of laser time to the ship, which is how I figure out what the prices is.

A more detailed way would be to 'engrave' the details on, which could give you a wider/more defined detail.  This is when the laser head swings back and forth like an ink printer, but this is a very slow process, so much so that I've never used it for a commercial project. 

It really just comes down to time and wear and tear on the machine.  I'm trying to get a place where we are getting the best effect for the money. 

Having a bit of experience running a router/engraver, I understand exactly what that means,  Huh.  Okay, carry on, then.

I do like this design - it will be a nice piece.  I may have to pick one up when she is in full swing.

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2017, 03:33:08 PM »
Okay, I'm confused. I thought both the Aberdeen and Frederik have flying bridges, though not protruding out the front. In the Frederik, with wings, also very common.

If you must have wings-without-'bags', just get Frederik and leave off the nether regions, right?

Edit:
One quick question, Fergal, based on my experiences painting these - is it possible to cut the details a little bit deeper...

I bought some lasered Xmas ornaments to section and apply to the kite (do you rmember the kite?) to add surface detail. Sort of bas-relief instead of engraving. Might that work?

Doug

Edit: "I do like some of the first 'torpedo-boat-destroyer' designs,"

So those ARE flying bridges, but you don't want ANY enclosures, and maybe add a bit wider deck to include the gun. Pins-and-string railing, and you're back to Bob.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 03:43:29 PM by The_Beast »

Offline LCpl McDoom

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2017, 03:33:36 PM »
My pleasure  :)

Naval architecture and design in 1890s really saw some incredible leaps, and after all, by 1905 we did end up with the Dreadnaught.

I do like some of the first 'torpedo-boat-destroyer' designs, and you have to wonder what it must have been like to sail and fight in these. I consequently take great inspiration from these for VSF ideas.

HMS Daring: https://defenceoftherealm.files.wordpress.com/2015/01/hms-daring.jpg
HMS Havoc: https://defenceoftherealm.files.wordpress.com/2015/01/hms-havoc.jpg
(Source: Defence of the Realmsite by Tony Wilkins)

Offline fergal

• Mad Scientist
    • Crossover Miniatures
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2017, 02:03:56 AM »

I bought some lasered Xmas ornaments to section and apply to the kite (do you rmember the kite?) to add surface detail. Sort of bas-relief instead of engraving. Might that work?

Doug

Pictures or it didn't happen.

Offline fergal

• Mad Scientist
    • Crossover Miniatures
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2017, 02:06:40 AM »

Only thing I might be tempted to do is to replace the highest upperwork level with a 'flying bridge'

I think you are right about this, I couldn't put my finger on it before, but I don't like the top level as I have it.  I'll whip up a flying bridge for the top level and that's what I'll go with.

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2017, 02:18:13 AM »

Edit:

Doug

Really? Huh. I didn't think you had opened the wrapping yet...  ;D