Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:20:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686498
  • Total Topics: 118103
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Live [Kickstarter] for Wreck Age VEHICLES + Free Beta 2E Quick Start Rules  (Read 8843 times)

Offline Manchu

• Mad Scientist
    • Life on Jasoom?
KS LINK

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hyacinthgames/wreck-age-post-collapse-vehicle-kits

Included in the upcoming range are two cars, one pick-up truck, two motorbikes, and an ATV. There will also be optional extras to create unique vehicles, and faction specific add-ons. Hyacinth Games has a number of great pledge levels planned, including a $75 pledge that nets you three vehicles of your choice and access to add-ons and stretch goals.

Get your free 2E Beta Quick Start Rules here:

http://www.wreck-age.net/index.php/forum/3-news/947-wreck-age-2nd-edition-basic-rules-beta

Hyacinth is looking for feedback through February 11, 2017.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 05:17:50 PM by Manchu »

Offline Manchu

• Mad Scientist
    • Life on Jasoom?
Also check out this upcoming hulk for the ARKH Corporation faction:

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
I am really disappointed in the direction that Hyacinth have taken Wreck Age with Shangri LA and the later releases.

It was a superb "low tech" character based apoc setting with real personality and a distinct flavour. But has lost that in favour of following the mass of other apocalyptic games into Mad Max style vehicles, Power Armour and big guns.

:-[

Offline Manchu

• Mad Scientist
    • Life on Jasoom?
IIRC, the Wreck Age setting is not as simple as pre- and post-apoc like many other settings in the same genre. Rather, Wreck Age portrays both societal resilience as well as societal fragility: the timeline involves cycles of collapse and recovery that affect various regions and institutions differently. As I understand it, Shangri LA is a comparatively built-up region dissimilar to anything we've seen in Mad Max movies, which are more rural-oriented. The older stuff was actually more Mad Max-ish, while Shangri LA is more original IMO.

Offline Manchu

• Mad Scientist
    • Life on Jasoom?
Some pics for scale - I posted a lot more with descriptions on my blog:

http://lifeonjasoom.blogspot.com/2017/02/gallery-wreck-age-and-broken-contract.html

Offline Cait Sidhe

• Scientist
I supported the orginal kickstarter for some minis but I never realised how much the rules swing toward tabletop skirmish, I thought it was more of a pure RPG. I got excited for a bit but reading the rules... dice based movement is just terrible, why would anyone even do that...

The beta vehicle rules seem really arbitrary as well, light buggies can have various types of turrets equipped while cars and trucks can't have any... really odd.  :-I

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Everything is Better with Vampire Supermodels
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
Do these rules were actually playtested????  :o
"Because life is made of inspiration, dreaming and insanity in about equal measure."
- Erzsébet Báthory - 1560-1614 (?)

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
Movement in Wreck Age is not by dice, there are tests for actions like jumping from rock to rock over a toxic pool or running across a beam between 2 buildings but those are for the characters agility not the movement.
Characters in WA have a base move (usually 3" or 4") per action that can be modified by traits and skills.

They are a superb set of rules, playable as a tabletop skirmish by only using the standard Archetype characters or as a pen and paper rpg with full on unique character generation by skills and resource points. Between those extremes you can add in as much or little extra character detail as you want.
They are a fairly involved and quite complicated set of rules but have a distinct feel and are well worth trying out.

The vehicle rules are a stand alone expansion that is not part of the main game (nor should it be IMHO)

Offline Cait Sidhe

• Scientist
Movement in Wreck Age is not by dice, there are tests for actions like jumping from rock to rock over a toxic pool or running across a beam between 2 buildings but those are for the characters agility not the movement.
Characters in WA have a base move (usually 3" or 4") per action that can be modified by traits and skills.

Movement is 3" but running is 3 + d6" and sprinting is 3 + 2d6". Vehicle rules are a beta yeah but currently they're going with dice for that too... at full speed a motorbike moves 14d6, anywhere between 14" and 84" which is mental...

The rules might well be good but those movement rules are not great. I'm actually looking at them cause they sounded like they could be perfect for what I want but I would definitely want vehicles for post apoc and not random movement (or at least to that extent, perhaps as a result of failed skill rolls etc) so I would need to change that.

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Everything is Better with Vampire Supermodels
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
Movement is 3" but running is 3 + d6" and sprinting is 3 + 2d6". Vehicle rules are a beta yeah but currently they're going with dice for that too... at full speed a motorbike moves 14d6, anywhere between 14" and 84" which is mental...

That's why I seriously doubt the rules were REALLY playtested! lol

Offline therepoman

• Scientist
That's why I seriously doubt the rules were REALLY playtested! lol

The rules have about 500 hours of playtesting, and that's not actually how the vehicle movement works.

We're certainly open to suggestions, since we're in Beta for a few more weeks on it, so feel free to drop an email to: info at wreck-age dot net with your suggestions.
post-collapse tabletop adventures: www.wreck-age.net

Offline therepoman

• Scientist

The rules might well be good but those movement rules are not great. I'm actually looking at them cause they sounded like they could be perfect for what I want but I would definitely want vehicles for post apoc and not random movement (or at least to that extent, perhaps as a result of failed skill rolls etc) so I would need to change that.

I know a lot of people don't like random movement, but to me, it leads to a lot more excitement and risk/reward analysis. If you know you can move or charge 8", and you've played games for years, you know exactly how close you need to be to your target or goal. That doesn't take into account your character having a good or bad day: tripping, having an excellent charge, or just being middle-of-the-road.

The dice average it out to 7+3 on a charge... 10". If you use that as a baseline, and you plan accordingly, the roll can go your way, or maybe not. The best laid plans of mice and men, and all of that....

In regards to vehicle movement, you can control the spread and get a lot closer to the exact speed you want from the RAW. A speed of 5 has you roll 5 dice +/-5... for a total of 0-35... if you roll a 17, you can choose to move 12-22, which is quite a bit of control. If you have other strong opinion on movement, feel free to adjust them yourself to whatever works for you, or if you think you have some ideas, send us an email! But please try it out first as we've intended before making a final judgement.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 04:07:14 PM by therepoman »

Offline Cait Sidhe

• Scientist
I know a lot of people don't like random movement, but to me, it leads to a lot more excitement and risk/reward analysis. If you know you can move or charge 8", and you've played games for years, you know exactly how close you need to be to your target or goal. That doesn't take into account your character having a good or bad day: tripping, having an excellent charge, or just being middle-of-the-road.

The dice average it out to 7+3 on a charge... 10". If you use that as a baseline, and you plan accordingly, the roll can go your way, or maybe not. The best laid plans of mice and men, and all of that....

In regards to vehicle movement, you can control the spread and get a lot closer to the exact speed you want from the RAW. A speed of 5 has you roll 5 dice +/-5... for a total of 0-35... if you roll a 17, you can choose to move 12-22, which is quite a bit of control. If you have other ideas on movement, feel free to adjust them yourself to whatever works for you, or if you think you have some ideas, send us an email! But please try it out first as we've intended before making a final judgement.

Apologies, I missed the part where the 1" leeway was per die but yeah I'm still not a fan of it being so random even if I understand your argument. I can't stop picturing a bad-ass post apoc raider buggy sputtering and lurching forward as it's speed constantly changes.  lol

As for the limited customisation of vehicles, I guess it's just balance reasons? It just seems odd stuff like a buggy gets more options than a car or truck.

Offline therepoman

• Scientist
Apologies, I missed the part where the 1" leeway was per die but yeah I'm still not a fan of it being so random even if I understand your argument. I can't stop picturing a bad-ass post apoc raider buggy sputtering and lurching forward as it's speed constantly changes.  lol

As for the limited customisation of vehicles, I guess it's just balance reasons? It just seems odd stuff like a buggy gets more options than a car or truck.

There are more options for customization that we're planning, and if you have anything you'd like to see in specific, now's the time to let us know! The sculpts are currently being worked on, and we're going to have a lot of options for each of the 3 chassis' that we're doing for the kickstarter (car, truck, and buggy). We also have some motorcycles, an ATV, and some horse riders in the works too.

If you like the rules, but can't get over the variable movement, feel free to modify that, we certainly don't mind! It's all supposed to be fun and we certainly don't want to tell you how to have fun!

Try it out though, and see if it feels right. If not, do it however you'd like. We've played some really big games (with 10-15 vehicles on the table at a time, and up to 100 miniatures in addition) and even at that scale it all ran fairly smoothly. If you have a firm handle on the rules, it all goes very quickly, and nobody is sitting around doing nothing (we've had up to 12 people playing in one game before, each with different crews). With that many people, you definitely need a dedicated narrator though, to help make sure things run smoothly.

We're going to have some videos posted soon with gameplay, so people can see how it all works in more detail. Also, I seriously want to encourage you (and everyone else) to get in touch with ideas of what works best and what will make the game as good as it possibly can be. We'll keep refining it to make it better, clearer, and more user-friendly, while maintaining some teeth and individuality that help portray the setting that we're trying to build (bleak and desperate, with slight tinges of hope).
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 04:30:37 PM by therepoman »

Offline therepoman

• Scientist
Launching up at the end of the week! So far, 3 car chassis, 1 truck chassis, 2 bikes, an ATV, some horse riders, and 2 buggies will be rolling off of the assembly lines, with your help!

What kind of post-apocalypse vehicle would you want to see on your painting table?