Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:18:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691074
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 804
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: THE LEAD PAINTERS LEAGUE 11 - THE RULES  (Read 27981 times)

Offline Neldoreth

• Mastermind
    • An Hour of Wolves and Shattered Shields
Re: THE LEAD PAINTERS LEAGUE 11 - THE RULES
« Reply #60 on: February 23, 2017, 04:53:42 PM »
Scythians as in ancient Black Sea / steppe  horse tribes? Yes.

Games Workshop Lizardmen? No, I don't think so, unless you can point me towards something in some codex or other that says they live in tribes.

Yes, Scythians... I use the 'k' sometimes because Phil Barker uses 'skythian' in the DBA army lists for some reason :) Thanks, perfect.

n.

Offline Muzfish4

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #61 on: February 27, 2017, 03:59:52 AM »
I am steeling myself to enter for the first time this year. After all, someone has to come last.

I think I am okay with the Copplestone cave people and am sure that a crew for a 'landship' won't cut the mustard for Round 5.

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
« Reply #62 on: March 01, 2017, 02:48:48 AM »
Would it count as 'Crew' if I did a, oh, biplane with the field crew? Mechanic, pilot, commander, etc?
"There is no known cure for the wargaming virus, only treatments with ever increasing doses of metal."

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #63 on: March 01, 2017, 03:11:05 AM »
Would it count as 'Crew' if I did a, oh, biplane with the field crew? Mechanic, pilot, commander, etc?

One model and four accompanying crew would count as a five model and/or figure team, yes.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #64 on: March 01, 2017, 03:13:04 AM »
I am steeling myself to enter for the first time this year. After all, someone has to come last.

I think I am okay with the Copplestone cave people and am sure that a crew for a 'landship' won't cut the mustard for Round 5.

Cave people are tribal, yes.
A land ship is transport, so wouldn't count as a 'big brother' for the round 10 theme bonus.

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
« Reply #65 on: March 01, 2017, 03:53:43 AM »
And one last question - I have been building an Easterling army for Dragon Rampant, and I am painting an armored troll along with some light conversion work to go with my Easterling troops - can I use that as a "Big Brother", as I am trying make him match paint wise and to some extent look wise?

Offline dbsubashi

• Scientist
« Reply #66 on: March 01, 2017, 04:27:39 AM »
Do Game of Thrones Hill Clans from the Mountains of the Moon near the Vale of Arryn count as Tribesmen?

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #67 on: March 01, 2017, 09:07:18 AM »
Hill Tribes, yes, definitely tribes.

5 men and a troll, no, afraid not. Not really related as a species.

Offline angstpuppet

• Bookworm
« Reply #68 on: March 08, 2017, 08:39:30 PM »

Round 5 – Ship’s Crew

A team comprising members of a ship’s crew. Any ship, any crew. From Jason and the Argonauts, through the Age of Discovery, Nelson, Das Boot, and any other crew you can think of. From the Enterprise to Serenity or the Nostromo. The Nautilus or the Black Pearl. Think of a ship, paint a team of at least 5 figures representing its crew, and earn 10 extra theme bonus points.

So for Ship's Crew would 40k Horus Heresy era Breacher Marines work as Ship's Crew?  Part of their role was ship to ship boarding combat in space.  Below is a lexicanum link explaining their role.  I am hoping to use this league as a chance to get some of my many Heresy Emperor's Children painted, if I can get myself motivated.  I keep trying to join every year and every year something blows up in my life.  Maybe this is my lucky year.  http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Breacher_Siege_Space_Marine

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #69 on: March 08, 2017, 11:52:55 PM »
Sorry, but I think it's a bit tenuous.
Space marines are space marines. They may travel by spaceship, but are they really the ship's crew?
'Ship's crew' means people who crew a ship.
There again, I suppose you would say that - for instance - colonial marines are part of the ship's crew of Battlestar Galactica.
But GW space marines?
I will consult with a higher authority, and get back to you...  :)

Offline Orange

• Student
« Reply #70 on: March 09, 2017, 12:50:41 AM »
One model and four accompanying crew would count as a five model and/or figure team, yes.

In response to Sinewgrab's thing above, does this mean the ship (or plane in his case) and four crew count toward the 'Ship's Crew' points?

And along the lines of Space Marines, would pirates count, or are they supposed to be non-combatant crew?

Have a couple of ideas along those lines :)

Offline angstpuppet

• Bookworm
« Reply #71 on: March 09, 2017, 01:42:49 AM »
Space marines are space marines. They may travel by spaceship, but are they really the ship's crew?
There again, I suppose you would say that - for instance - colonial marines are part of the ship's crew of Battlestar Galactica.
But GW space marines?
I will consult with a higher authority, and get back to you...  :)

It is fine e either way.  Basically that round is the only one where the miniatures are not built.  I have back ups and I am more in it for the idea of getting stuff painted than for winning.  Thanks for the quick response and for running this. 

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #72 on: March 09, 2017, 07:14:43 AM »
In response to Sinewgrab's thing above, does this mean the ship (or plane in his case) and four crew count toward the 'Ship's Crew' points?

And along the lines of Space Marines, would pirates count, or are they supposed to be non-combatant crew?

Have a couple of ideas along those lines :)

Pirates crew pirate ships, so qualify as ship's crew.

A team needs to include 5 figures or models. So usually, four pirates and a cannon would count as a 'legal' team according to the rules.
However, the theme bonus for round 5 specifically spells out 'paint 5 figures representing a ship's crew'.
So for this round, to qualify for the bonus points, it needs to be 5 FIGURES.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #73 on: March 09, 2017, 08:56:20 AM »
But GW space marines?
I will consult with a higher authority, and get back to you...  :)

Sorry, but to claim that marines are not a part of a ship's muster would have you answer to a lot of historical men of the service.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 09:16:35 AM by Hammers »

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #74 on: March 09, 2017, 09:10:55 AM »
Sorry, but not to claim that marines are not a part of a ship's muster would have you answer to a lot of historical men of the service.

Yeah, but the word "marine" is thrown around to cover all kinds of troops. Royal Marine Light Infantry weren't part of a ship's crew, neither are modern Royal Marines. French Troupes de Marine weren't part of a ship's crew. USMC aren't part of a ship's crew. These are all more properly called Naval Infantry if you want to be sniffy about it, yet they are still known as "marines."

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...