Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 08:44:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: hardness scale  (Read 1095 times)

Offline Park

• Assistant
hardness scale
« on: March 02, 2017, 07:29:22 PM »
Having just aquired chosen men it prompted me to dig out some napoleonics. This brought two conclusions, firstly whoever designed the uniforms in this period should have been taken out and shot but secondly and more importantly are napoleonics the zenith of miniature painting. Are these 28mm monstrosities in all their lace and pre bardin glory the end level boss of miniature painting!!
So with this and the moh's hardness scale in mind I would suggest a scale with space marines/saxon ceorls at the crumbly scratch with a finger nail end and those musket welding buggers at the other diamond hard end.
Would you you agree with this and if so what do you feel should sit between?

Offline v_lazy_dragon

• Mastermind
Re: hardness scale
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2017, 06:00:21 AM »
I would argue that accurate* modern camouflage is equally as hard as napoleonics

*I say accurate. One can daube enough different colours on a figure and end up with some sort of camo scheme. Getting it to look like the scheme you actually want it to is a different matter!
Xander
Army painters thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=56540.msg671536#new
WinterApoc thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=50815.0

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2017, 08:18:33 AM »
As said camo is hard but also tartan is difficult in any period where highlanders are present. I think Lace wars is equally or can be as intricate as Napoleonics.

Native forces such as Aztecs can be a real pain and also tribal warpaint too

I think the counter balance in some period like Napoleonics is the wealth of reference with more obscure armies, periods in gaming can increase the difficulty in getting it right, reference on techniques and colour guides

Ones I have found very easy are more skirmish periods, having painted gangsters recently for the 1920s they were quick and easy, dark drab suits, very little beyond a different coloured hat or waistcoat, wild west is also similar.

WW2 is relatively easy until you start moving into camouflage territory

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2017, 09:20:00 AM »
  • Choose a modern Infinity or GW figure.
  • Paint it, including all the details, nicely.
  • Cry in frustration at how long this takes and how much fiddly detail there is.

At the end of the day, whilst some figures are inevitably less cluttered and simpler to paint than others, how "hard" something is to paint is entirely subjective and depends heavily on what level you're looking to acheive.

For example, if you decide to paint a variety of coloured metals in a non-metallic paint technique, this will take longer if there is lots of metal on a model. If you want to add reflected light from a light source, this will take longer. If you want to paint textures into the model (like worn leather, rough fabric, stitching, etc), then this will take longer. If you want to add freehand details like embroidered elements, markings/heraldry, or a flag, this will take longer.

Even so, getting fine white and gold detailing that's often typical of many Napoleonic figures done neatly is a fair amount of work, in the same way that neatly painting all the small details on any model cluttered with them is.

So no, I don't think Napoleonics are automatically the top-end of painting difficulty, although I will agree that they are often quite involved. Rather, I think the amount of effort that you want to spend on a model determines that. ;)

Offline Park

• Assistant
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2017, 03:12:20 PM »
Whilst I appreciate skill level and and a person's willingness to spend time on a miniature/ to accept end result differs I would add the ammendment that I paint all rank and file along the same lines. My personal routine is neatly block colour followed by wash to shade and final highlights (this process differs for characters,command etc). Now I fin this provides an acceptable level between a good looking force and actually getting one painted. However, when applying this to napoleonics I feel like banging my head off the wall. I suppose by hardness I would maybe rephrase as difficult on a personal level

Offline Inkpaduta

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2017, 06:10:54 PM »
I would have to put Aztecs right up there.
Tons of feathers various animal hides ect.
It is why I gave up trying to paint mine.

Online JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2017, 08:00:41 PM »
I would question if you define "hardness" by painting standard or historical accuracy.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2017, 08:23:16 PM »
I agree. Painting Napoleonics is a chore. Difficult, but more importantly, tedious... gimme Non-regimented and identically uniformed figures every time  :)

Offline Park

• Assistant
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2017, 08:47:15 PM »
I would question if you define "hardness" by painting standard or historical accuracy.

Unless you are entering the realms of imagiNations painting napoleonics and historical accuracy would seem to go hand in hand, well to me anyway.

I agree. Painting Napoleonics is a chore. Difficult, but more importantly, tedious... gimme Non-regimented and identically uniformed figures every time  :)

The non regimented appeal has always drawn me, the main reason i think my painting queue tends to hover sub roman/early medieval. Keep your palate accurate but such a freedom of choice and individuality

Online JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2017, 10:15:43 PM »
Unless you are entering the realms of imagiNations painting napoleonics and historical accuracy would seem to go hand in hand, well to me anyway.

Fair dos then, I just wasn't certain what you were getting at from your first post.

In that case I agree, napoleonics has a level of anal retention that my vegetarian diet cant accommodate. 😀