Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 02:55:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691078
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 722
Total: 727

Recent

Author Topic: Bye, comfort zone! - Super Dungeon Explorin'  (Read 13324 times)

Offline Battle Brush Sigur

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
Re: Bye, comfort zone! - Super Dungeon Explorin'
« Reply #75 on: November 22, 2019, 12:03:04 AM »
Right, another WIP shot!

To be honest, I had to put the Frog Knights to the side for a bit. I just couldn't go on at this point and I'll finish them later. Instead I started working on Bashful Boris (the purple bear). Hope you like them!

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #76 on: November 22, 2019, 10:15:47 AM »
fabulous, as ever.

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #77 on: November 22, 2019, 09:53:52 PM »
@Bloogard: Once again, many thanks! Getting comments between updates is always nice. :)

Right, here's a tiny little update!

...mainly because I wanted to test something on the camera. I have to admit, that I'm glad when I get done with gold NMM again and go back to painting more 'realistic' things again (well, next on the schedule: Space Orks. :D ). But really, I'm very, very happy that I get to do these here. If there's one thing I like about miniature painting/gaming it's all the diversity we get in styles, minis, companies, rules, etc. and I'm very glad I get to do pretty much all of it! I wouldn't mind doing Space Marines for a long time, but it's all about shaking things up. Of course the fact that I do a wide variety of things means that I'm not a 'household name' in any genre really (and that's probably not the best thing in terms of 'advertising' and whatnot), but the range of stuff I get to do is cool. Couldn't be happier and fingers crossed that things stay that way.

Tomorrow I'll do a bit of an experiment - attending Comitatus' wargames club (who are located in Salzburg, Austria) Late Fall event for the first time. No painting workshop, no showcase stuff. I'll just go there as ....well, basically a punter. (basically becaue it was a very short-term decision on my part because I happen to have the time) However, for the first time in foreeeeever I'll be at a wargames show as just that. I even might get to play something! The experimental part of the whole affair is that I'll do the travelling back and forth (3.5 hours each) on the same day. Let's see how that goes. If there aren't any updates on this or other threads for the next weeks it means I ended up in a ditch next to some Autobahn. Good thing is that I won't have any showcase minis with me, so those won't get damaged if that's the case.

Anyway, hope to write a nice report of the show once I return and not be too dead to get some painting done on Sunday. I hear there's going to be a bit of a GW-/Fantasy overhang to this (as opposed to Austrian Salute run by the same group in March, which I usually attend). Gonna see Warcry and all of that. And I'll deliver some finished minis and pick up some new ones people want me to paint.

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #78 on: November 25, 2019, 12:15:26 AM »

Right, update time!

I opted for a group shot this time, because it's good for morale, covers up individual little problems, and just looks pretty (colours! Yay!). Basically the big purple bear's done now (just needs a final overhaul on the golds) and the big bunny Executioner is new.
That leaves me with getting the Fairy Dragon painted (it's a big one too), as well as a whole lot of treasure chests and Mimics, as well as some japanese looking temple lanterns.

Apart from that I spent about six hours abroad last Saturday. Here's my travel report of Comitatus club's Late Fall Battle Day:

https://www.battlebrushstudios.com/2019/11/show-report-late-fall-2019.html

Just a small event, but really nice to see the guys, see some nice tables, and all of that. At the same time Vienna ComiCon was on over in Vienna. I regret nothing.

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #79 on: November 26, 2019, 06:31:33 PM »
Right, yet another update. Bunch of treasure chests! Watch out though, there mightbe a Mimic or two among them. :P

Hope you like them!

Offline Reed

• Mad Scientist
  • Once bought, must be painted.
« Reply #80 on: November 27, 2019, 09:12:43 AM »
A very eclectic mix. I might look how the game plays.

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #81 on: November 29, 2019, 01:30:27 PM »
@Reed: Certainly is! Which is one of the reasons why they take so darned long to paint. :D I never played the game myself, but I hear it's a really fun dungeon crawler. The only problem is that the company who makes it seems to be in a bit of a rough spot after a kickstarter miscalculation or something, so I'm not sure what the availability is like in the years to come.

Heyhey! Still on the SDE figures, but this is the last one on this batch - the Fairy Dragon Glimmerwing

He's still a bit WIP, and the white background certainly doesn't do him any favors, but oh well. :D That's him. Hope you like the direction I went with this one, and I also hope that I'm done soon. :D

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #82 on: December 02, 2019, 05:13:16 PM »
DONE!

*phew* Got them done in time for the 1st of December (as scheduled), so I allowed myself to paint some of my own stuff over the weekend (10mm TYW Dragoons x2, Cuirassiers and Harquebusiers).

Anyway, I really love these group shots of SDE minis when a batch is finished. It's just an explosion of colour and contrast and pleasant shapes, colours and effects. Bold, pleasant, fun.

Hope you like them!

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #83 on: December 02, 2019, 08:13:36 PM »
a stunning set.

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #84 on: December 29, 2019, 01:29:22 AM »
@Bloggard: Thanks very much! :) Got another batch of SDE figures here with me now. Sadly, it'll be the last batch of 'em for this particular customer. Hope to do many more in the future though!

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #85 on: May 11, 2020, 10:36:17 PM »
Heyhey. Here's a WIP shot of the last(!) batch of Super Dungeon Explore figures, at least for this collection:

full size image:

Hope you like them so far!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 09:27:33 PM by Battle Brush Sigur »

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #86 on: May 15, 2020, 02:01:15 AM »
Good morning, people of the world.

Here's another WIP shot of the tortoise gang:

full size image:

Not that much new (since I had to squeeze in a little other thing I had to finalize), but I got the cannon turrets on the backs of the canoniers done and got a chunk of work done on TESTUDO TOWER (the boss, quite clearly). What's left to do on him is mostly finishing the top of the shell and some of the stuff on top (in the back of his shell there's a mining cart full of cannonballs as ammo, bolted to the shell and held in place with a big rubber band looking thing) and some other details (tongues, the "KEEP OUT" lettering in the front of the howdah on his back and so on). After that I'll have to do the bases on all of these chaps. And some general neatening up.

And then I'll be done with the last batch of SDE figures (at least until another lovely person decides they wanna have their SDE collection painted by me), which is kinda bitter-sweet. I think I started working on these in 2016? 2015? Extremely satisfying to work with, and they're one of these projects which pulled me out of my comfort zone and which I believe made me a more capable and well-rounded figure painter. The thing is that I paint ALL THE THINGS. There are people who only paint Space Marines, or only paint Warmachine stuff, or only GW stuff, or only historical stuff, or only 15mm stuff, or only single miniatures, or only armies, or only large scale figures, only showcase figures, only "tabletop standard" stuff - I do it all. Which I'm really happy with, especially since people of all sorts of genres seek out my services and so on. Which of course I'm very thankful for. And yet - there's SO much more stuff out there. At a convention last year I met a lady who does doll customization. Cool, cool stuff. So much material knowledge, such very different approaches. I'll never do it I suppose, but it sounds cool. Somehow handicraft things are just good. Making things. A while ago I used to watch a series of youtube videos by a Swiss(?) guy living in Germany who makes tools by hand. Cool stuff. There are many cool things out there. Things which computers won't do for us and which don't happen digitally.

Oh well, I better get these figures done swiftly, so I can move on to the next of the many projects I should be working on, preferably at the same time. Which is a bit stressful, but of course makes me very happy. It's very, very humbling. I don't deserve as much luck as I have really. :D Anyway, it's late. I better go to bed. G'noight.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 02:49:14 AM by Battle Brush Sigur »

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #87 on: May 15, 2020, 02:21:00 AM »
A very unusual set of figures, at least to me.  A very interesting and bright pallet.  Nicely done.
2024: B: 2220; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #88 on: May 15, 2020, 02:50:51 AM »
A very unusual set of figures, at least to me.  A very interesting and bright pallet.  Nicely done.

Thank you! :) Certainly unusual. Each time I start working on another batch of these (usually I do something entirely different right before that, like 25mm Napoleonic Minifigs or soemthing like that) I'm hit with a kind of 'painting style whiplash'. :D

Offline The Voivod

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #89 on: May 15, 2020, 08:22:05 AM »
I love them. Been fighting the urge to buy the game just to paint them for years.
They look like so much fun to paint. Really diffent models, extremely bright colours.

Lovely work as always. Not making it easier not to buy them.
'Mercy? I am far to brave to grant you mercy.'