Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 05:27:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690801
  • Total Topics: 118351
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Into the Badlands  (Read 1654 times)

Offline The_Baron

• Librarian
Into the Badlands
« on: March 20, 2017, 07:24:41 AM »
Hi,

Have you seen Into the Badlands? A bit different from the usual post-apoc type show, it is set 500 years after the fall of civilisation. The primary premise is that guns are banned, so martial arts and hand to hand are now the main forms of combat.

The world is controlled by Barons, who basically run different aspects of civilisation (weapons, opium, grain etc.). They are protected by and their will enforced by 'Clippers', who are their personal army. There's also the usual roving bandits. The Barons are always jostling for power and fights between Clippers are common - often joined in person by the Barons who are formidable fighters too.

There's a good run down here: http://www.amc.com/shows/into-the-badlands/exclusives/the-world

Acting is a bit wooden but the fight scenes are amazing, movie quality and very atmospheric. I think it is a very enjoyable show, and season 2 is starting soon.

It makes perfect wargames fodder - I'm thinking 'A fistful of kung fu' or other more sword-play type rules (Ronin, Way of the Samurai?)

I've cobbled together a few models from Wargames Factory models (ahem I mean Warlord Games). The protaginist, Sunny, and a prototype Clipper. (sorry about the crummy photos).

Greenstuff still needs a final polish. The chest needs to be cut down a bit and the holes filled. This photo is not flattering.

Can you spot where the bits are from?

I'm hunting around for some good rival Clippers to face them, but in the meantime I want to get a decent force up to support Sunny (and some paint on them too of course!)
Cheers, The Baron

My Blog: http://returntologansworld.blogspot.com.au/
Empire of the Dead, Strange Aeons, Old-School Fantasy and Rogue Trader, 15mm ATZ

Offline Ragsta

• Scientist
Re: Into the Badlands
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2017, 06:00:47 PM »
Very cool conversions, milord, made more so in the knowledge that those models are rather hard to manipulate. The Clipper looks like a very irate Prince Charles with that head :P

Offline The_Baron

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2017, 02:40:24 AM »
Very cool conversions, milord, made more so in the knowledge that those models are rather hard to manipulate. The Clipper looks like a very irate Prince Charles with that head :P

Hahaha cheers mate. Well clipper number 1 now has his nickname - the Prince  ;D    Man the greenstuff on Sunny looks so rough in these pictures, I need to give it a polish before painting. IRL it doesn't look nearly as hideous. It looks very flat as a result of the liquid greenstuff, will sculpt some folds near the armpits to help. I had a lot of trouble finding in-scale bare arms, in the end I went with the Woodland Indians kit which has heaps of cool bits.

I'm surprised this show doesn't have more buzz, it is really cool. Well worth a look if you like good martial arts fight scenes.

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2017, 08:46:01 AM »
Interesting show.

Sunny is very well done. I look forward to seeing it painted.

So how are you going to do The Widow?