Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 29, 2024, 01:50:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1695385
  • Total Topics: 118685
  • Online Today: 529
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 7
Guests: 516
Total: 523

Recent

Author Topic: Shieldwolf Plastic Shieldmaiden Infantry Review  (Read 3263 times)

Offline Belgian

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Wargame News and Terrain
Shieldwolf Plastic Shieldmaiden Infantry Review
« on: March 24, 2017, 05:38:09 PM »
Just published the pre-release review of the Shieldwolf Miniatures, received these a while ago but couldn't share any information and pictures until today.

The Shieldmaiden Infantry boxed set is the second hard-plastic kit to be released by Shieldwolf Miniatures. This particular set was succesfully funded during the War is coming: Shieldmaidens Army Reboot Kickstarter in early 2016. Gathering more than $80.000 and backed by more than 550 backers, these miniature were put into production and are now almost ready to be delivered and released for retail. Shieldwolf Miniatures is always trying to improve the quality and detail of their miniatures so let's take a look if they have managed to raise the bar on these new Shieldmaidens. This modular plastic kits contains 20 miniatures but you can kitbash 24 as there are more bodies than left arms included

You can find the review here - http://wargameterrain.blogspot.be/2017/03/shieldwolf-miniatures-plastic-fantasy.html

Should you have questions regarding the review and miniatures, feel free to let me know.
Wargame News and Terrain Blog, daily updated with the latest wargame news

Interested click https://wargameterrain.blogspot.com/

Offline manic _miner

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Four A miniatures
Re: Shieldwolf Plastic Shieldmaiden Infantry Review
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2017, 06:04:51 PM »
 They do look like nice figures and should go well with the Frostgrave Barbarians.

Offline Peithetairos

• Scientist
    • DaggerandBrush
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2017, 08:29:19 PM »
A good set for conversions etc.

I do like most of the heads, but some of the hairdos look very strange, more like a Medusa. My first attempt at sculpting hair looked similar and people advised me to do it rather in one piece than each string or strand separately.

I am also not a fan of mail on - apparently - skin without any padding underneath. I get that it is high fantasy, but are they so hardy that their skin turned into leather?

Overall still worth a look. Cool hooded heads, nice selection of weapons and I am sure many synergies with other sets for conversions.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2017, 08:39:45 PM »
That's a very useful and thorough review, thank you.
They do look rather nice, although quite tall. But it will be useful to have some female components fro kit-bashers like me  :)

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2017, 09:22:42 PM »
Looks like a pretty promising kit, especially if it's going to be compatible with later sets.  Certainly a subject that could use more options on the market.

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2017, 11:49:02 PM »
They do look better than I thought when I saw the kickstarter, especially the more reasonably clad ones.

Offline madzerker

• Bookworm
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2017, 02:48:43 AM »
I am happy they are taller, this means they will fit with the majority of my miniatures which are 32mm+!

Offline Belgian

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2017, 07:49:36 PM »
Thanks for the kind words about the review. This set will supply converters with a whole array of useful bits such as the heads, shields and weapons and I'm already looking forward in seeing cool conversions @Captain Blood especially looking at you, will these manage to infiltrate the GOT thread?

@Madzerker - The scale is on the large side for 28mm but in my opinion still suitable although confirmed by Shieldwolf they are producing heroic 28mm minis more towards the 32mm scale which is increasingly more popular among companies. If I find time I might take a picture besides a miniatures of the GW AoS line to show how they compare.

@Hobby Services - Had to check but they will certainly be compatible with the next plastic set which will be the Warmaidens to be funded on Kickstarter somewhere in Q2 2017 if I'm not mistaken.

@Orgrob and @Peithetairos I'm quite happy with how they handled the dilemma of going for the usual more bare skinned females or more sendibly clothed females in supplying bodies to make everybody happy. Will not please all people but commercially sensible to appeal to both groups when releasing expensive (as in production expensive) plastic sets.

Offline Bloodsbane

• Scientist
  • AKA FKSN
    • I'm a drawer
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2017, 08:04:36 PM »
Thanks for the review, and the scale shots especially. Much appreciated!

Edit: I'll add that I'm much more impressed with the final results than I expected to be from the art during the campaign. Kudos to Shieldwolf!
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 08:07:14 PM by FKSN »

Offline mweaver

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2017, 11:31:07 PM »
Thanks for the review.  They look fairly promising.

-Michael

Offline DoctorPete

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2017, 03:53:10 AM »
They have potential and I am trying to like them but the hair puts me off.  Perhaps with some head swaps they'd have a home in my fantasy collection.   :?
I am not a quack!  I'm a mad scientist.  There IS a difference!

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2017, 08:58:58 AM »
Nice review indeed! Will use them for my Wildling army for GoT . Very welcome addition
In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com

Offline Belgian

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2017, 11:17:26 AM »
Thanks, they would certainly fit in a GoT setting!

Offline Nord

• Mad Scientist
    • Nord's Painting Saga
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2017, 08:22:27 AM »
Thanks for the review, look like their most impressive set to date, nice to see that.

What's the deal with the left arms? I couldn't quite understand if there are 4 missing - too early in the morning for my brain to function.

Offline Belgian

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2017, 07:34:37 PM »
Thanks for the review, look like their most impressive set to date, nice to see that.

What's the deal with the left arms? I couldn't quite understand if there are 4 missing - too early in the morning for my brain to function.

They are actually not "missing" but there are 24 bodies in the box but you can only assemble 20 miniatures according to Shieldwolf Miniatures you can however kitbash a full 24 miniatures with some converting. Apologies for the delay but had to double check with the Shieldwolf crew.