Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 12:44:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Northstar Plastic Fantasy Dwarf Infantry Review - GW Gimli Scale Photo Added  (Read 6366 times)

Offline Belgian

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Wargame News and Terrain
Finally finished my review of the new Northstar Miniatures and Osprey Games Dwarf Infantry miniatures which are due to be released in support of a new fantasy mass battle miniature wargame, although some sprues were already available at Salute. During the review we take a look at the sprue, the different options, the compability with the Frostgrave Soldiers and also a scale comparison with plenty of miniatures. Really like these Tolkienesque Dwarves and looking forward in seeing these being released. You can check the review here you won't regret it.

http://wargameterrain.blogspot.be/2017/04/northstar-miniatures-plastic-fantasy_30.html
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 06:39:43 PM by Belgian »
Wargame News and Terrain Blog, daily updated with the latest wargame news

Interested click https://wargameterrain.blogspot.com/

Offline Angrypantz

• Assistant
Re: Northstar Miniatures Plastic Fantasy Dwarf Infantry Review
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2017, 06:48:45 PM »
Thank you for the great review. Really like the look Of these. Have you got a scale photo of these with other dwarf models?

Offline Bodvoc

• Librarian
    • The War Crow
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2017, 07:10:20 PM »
Thanks for your very thorough review, I am very keen to get some of these figures.
'If I throw a 6 I will do my happy dance.

Offline Momotaro

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2017, 10:02:07 PM »
A great review, thank you.  The more I see of these, the more I like them - the set has been thought out well. 

I like the idea that they will fit with the generic Frostgrave soldiers - a very smart move!  May even have some old GW crossbow arms kicking around...

Offline Hummster

• Scientist
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2017, 11:11:52 PM »
Those do look pretty good.

Offline mweaver

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2017, 11:52:21 PM »
Great review - thanks.  I am really looking forward to the general release of these figures.

-Michael

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2017, 02:48:48 AM »
I wanted stay below 20mm for all my figures in 2017 but these dwarf figures look very much like what I envision dwarf soldiers to look like... dang!

Maybe a box... or two.
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline Davout

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2017, 03:53:52 AM »
You know, when Warhammer Fantasy went kaboom I said to myself, "it's fine, I don't need to play a mass fantasy battle game, Dragon Rampant and AoS scratch all those itches" and then I keep seeing how cool well done Kings of War armies look and then Sword and Spear Fantasy comes out and I start thinking about how to fit my round based figures onto square bases and now these figures come out and I hear that Osprey is going to release rules for a ranks and flanks fantasy game (and you have to get it right, those rules are generally really cheap, no harm in having them around) and I realize that either I need to become independently wealthy so that I can just paint and game all the time or someone's going to have to increase the human life span by a few decades so I can finish painting up the lead/plastic pile.

Thank you for the good review and I'm excited to see the rest of the range. 

Offline bandit86

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2017, 07:21:40 AM »
Almost the same size as the humans bit bigger heads not well thought out
Barbarella: What's that screaming? A good many dramatic situations begin with screaming...
http://bandit86.blogspot.com/

Offline Munindk

• Mad Scientist
  • Denmark
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2017, 08:24:22 AM »
Great review the only thing I feel is missing is a comparison picture with other dwarf miniatures, say... LOTR and regular GW dwarves?

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2017, 10:00:44 AM »
They do look a bit big. I'm holding out to see a comparison with some LOTR dwarfs, but it doesn't bode well (sizewise I mean).

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2017, 10:22:06 AM »
Very handy I can't wait to see the goblins.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2017, 10:24:59 AM »
Wow! Just what the doctor ordered! 8)

I've been looking for suitable dwarves for a budding Lord of the Rings project for a while now, and have had no luck finding just the right ones I have in mind.

But these are the dwarves I was looking for! (no handwaves required, thank you very much :D )

+++EDIT+++ I'd just like to note that it looks fairly easy to shorten the dwarves by taking the integral bases off, but also by cutting off the legs below the tunic, shaving off a millimeter or so and re-attaching them, should you find them not as vertically challenged as you'd like.

Also; (through the link provided in the article) that previewed goblin looks really awesome too! Especially since those will undoubtedly come on multipart sprues as well. My take on Middle Earth is looking more and more promising...
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 11:08:51 AM by Daeothar »
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Belgian

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Wargame News and Terrain
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2017, 05:36:59 PM »
Thanks for the nice comments, took me the better part of a day to write this review but looks it has been widely shared online. Looking at the amount of views received. I was going to add some pictures with the Games Workshop LOTR Gimli character but he was still at my DnD group and I don't own any other dwarves. Will try and take some pictures this weekend with Gimli and a measuring tape, might be useful for you all but boys these look splendid! The only minor issue is that you have loads of weapons (and five heads) left and no bodies to put them on so maybe somebody could sculpt and cast some alternative bodies to use these weapons on as it's a shame to not use them or there could be a second sprue that we haven't seen yet but I highly doubt that.

Offline mweaver

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2017, 03:14:45 AM »
Well, once the goblins are out I am sure they can find spikes to place the spare heads on.

-Michael