Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:41:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Lights Out in the Valley - a modest TSATF AAR  (Read 3043 times)

Offline Mad Guru

• Mad Scientist
    • Maiwand Day blog
Lights Out in the Valley - a modest TSATF AAR
« on: July 07, 2017, 06:31:14 PM »
Happy to report I actually played a game! (Something that doesn't happen very often these days.)

I took command of the Tribesmen and the British -- in this case a unit of Gurkhas -- were led by my older daughter/middle child.

I'm happy to report all fighting was limited to the tabletop.

It was a simple and modest affair, pitting one "Platoon" of Gurkha Rifles against two "Clans" of Pathan Tribesmen, both of which started the game hidden in rough terrain.

The Gurkhas were tasked with crossing a bridge over the Kabul River at one corner and proceeding to the center of the table, to learn the whereabouts of a Heliograph Team stationed in a Hilltop Tower, which had recently lost touch with base-camp.

Despite its small scale it was a dramatic and close-run action which could easily have resulted in victory for either side.

I won't tell you more, but if interested invite you to stop by my blog via this handy LINK:

http://maiwandday.blogspot.mx/2017/07/lights-out-in-valley-tsatf-aar.html

And here are a handful of teaer pics to further entice you...

« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 06:33:45 PM by Mad Guru »
"We shall see what wisdom lies beneath my madness!"

Offline Andrei1975

• Scientist
  • Пыль шагающих сапог
Re: Lights Out in the Valley - a modest TSATF AAR
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2017, 06:37:10 PM »
Mad, once again, a great game and an excellent terrain. I would also like the Gurkhas in my army, only I do not like miniatures from Faundy. Very much I wait when brothers Perry decide to make them.

Offline Leapsnbounds

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2017, 07:01:02 PM »
Three Cheers for the Sword and the Flame

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2017, 07:16:39 PM »
Hurrah! A dispatch from the Guru is always most welcome. Exciting stuff!

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline shadowking1957

• Mastermind
    • Shadowkings
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2017, 07:20:48 PM »
Beautiful table and miniatures a joy to view

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2017, 08:48:32 PM »
Great write up of a lovely game.
You played TSATF as it was mend to be played.
A small number of units, keeps the excitement up.
A question if I may.
In your first melee was there only one Gurkha left?
If all others were killed, wounded or ran away and he survive the battle,
did you roll to award him the V.C.?
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2017, 08:55:10 PM »
When he said the "last Gurkha" I think he meant the last one to roll his die, not the last one left alive. There are clearly still a fair few of them in the later parts of the encounter.

Offline Mad Guru

• Mad Scientist
    • Maiwand Day blog
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2017, 09:50:18 PM »
In a way you are both correct, sirs!

He was indeed the last Gurkha in the hand-to-hand fight, as his comrades had all been killed, wounded, or forced to Fall Back -- but as the sole remaining active participant for his side in the melee, he only engaged in one round of die rolling, which I don't think "officially" qualifies him to be considered for the VC.  I think he'd have to have engaged and defeated at least 3 enemy figures singlehandedly, though I may be wrong about that.  I'll have to check the rule book.

At the very least he should be "Mentioned in Dispatches" and perhaps promoted to Naik!

Plynkes, in TSATF, figures who lose melee die roll-offs with a 3-6 result on their D6 "Fall Back" from the melee and remain in place until it is fully resolved, at which point if their unit has won they rejoin it or if it has lost they join it in routing away.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 08:02:20 AM by Mad Guru »

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2017, 10:17:48 PM »
As moderator of Colonial Adventures, I feel a little bit ashamed that I am not more familiar with these much-beloved rules, that so many folks regard as the spiritual Grandad of all our little adventures here, so thanks for the clarification. :)

I have gone a little way to make amends. I do own a copy of the rules (if memory serves bought from Admiral Benbow), but I have still yet to actually play it. Really must remedy that, and this has given me much inspiration to get on with things and finally do it. I think it will be Zulu War when I do, though. I guess I'm firmly in Wolseley's African Ring rather than Kandahar Bobs' like your good self. :)

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2017, 10:46:01 PM »
Beautiful!

Miss you, mad Guru, glad I found you here  :)
Reigning USTA Florida, and National 50+ Singles Champion  (tennis)  TWO Time Florida 50+ Singles Champion!  Just won State 2019!

Offline SABOT

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
  • " Keep Loading !"
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2017, 10:51:15 PM »
Great write up - I can feel the atmosphere. Love the terrain.

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2017, 11:04:31 PM »
All good stirring stuff! I sold my copy of TSATF when TMWWBKs came out, after reading that AAR... wish I hadn't now!

:-* :'( :-*
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2017, 12:07:20 AM »
Harry,
you sold your copy. :o
All is not lost,
You can buy another copy.
This is history, the blood of our fathers
and all such other rot. lol

Offline Mad Guru

• Mad Scientist
    • Maiwand Day blog
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2017, 01:44:51 AM »
Wow, to all my fellow LAFers who commented above, your high compliments make me blush with embarrassment, and thanks for all of your comments!

Smokeyroan, happy to be found by you!

Andrei, though I respectfully disagree regarding Wargames Foundry colonial figures, I sympathize with your current plight.  Not just the Perrys but one would have hoped Artizan would have released some Gurkhas for their own Second Afghan War range, after coming on what I think will be 2 years since its introduction.  Oh, well!  Maybe the Perrys will get around to it relatively soon.  Up until about a year ago, Pontoonier's Third Burma War Gurkhas were still available from Newline Designs, but sadly no they no longer are, so right now it's Foundry or Old Glory or... the one pack of "Yeti Hunters" available from West Wind Gothic Horror -- which are actually very nice Gurkhas in poshteens, but armed with bolt-action rifles, which doesn't really work for 1878-1880.

RE: the Victoria Cross rules in TSATF... well, turns out I was wrong too.  

If a British figure is involved in a melee with at least 6 enemy figures, which the British side wins, and is the SOLE SURVIVOR on the British side, he is eligible to win the VC.

The Gurkha in question was indeed the sole remaining "fighter" in the melee during its final round, as many of his comrades had by then "Fallen Back," but he was not the sole survivor, so I think he remains ineligible, at least by the book, so to speak.

Plynkes, in full disclosure, to me you are something of a hobby legend, so I must confess, seeing you write that a, "dispatch from the Guru is always most welcome," filled my heart with pride and glee.  Thank you!

RE: your concern over lack of familiarity with TSATF... I have found over my many years as a colonial wargamer that the great majority of UK gamers have little or no experience playing TSATF, and if they do know it, it's mostly just by reputation and what they've heard from their American gaming cousins, so no need to feel too bad.

That being said, I would certainly encourage you to try and play even a very small game -- like the one I describe above.  The Zulu War was probably the most popular campaign the rules were used for back when they were originally published in 1979, as it was the centenary of that conflict, and it remains very popular to this day.  Of course you are correct about me being firmly ensconced in Bobs of Kandahar's "India Ring" rather than the more spiffy and uppercrust "Africa Ring" of his Immodest Majesty, the Modern Major General Wolseley... a fine officer no doubt, who of course showed up to take charge of that fight against the Zulus, only to discover they'd already been beaten.

Harry... I must say I'm a touch flabbergasted by your confession, but still, you must be commended for your honesty!  I join my fellow countryman, Marine0846 from up North in the Oregon Territory, in strongly encouraging you to make good on this... questionable act.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 08:04:00 AM by Mad Guru »

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2017, 06:49:29 AM »
:'( Epaulettes and buttons ripped, sword broken over knee in shame.  :'(