Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 02:04:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690823
  • Total Topics: 118354
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Ozark Mountain Moonshiners - Find Granny, Bury Pops Game 2  (Read 1563 times)

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
    • Vagabond's Wargaming Blog
Ozark Mountain Moonshiners - Find Granny, Bury Pops Game 2
« on: August 27, 2017, 04:42:06 PM »
This is a folow on from a previous game posted recently here - http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=103226.0
If you have the stamina you might want to read that 1st because this is the following day.

I have also posted the follow on game to this one here - http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=103611.0

Ozark Mountain Moonshiners - Recovery

After what should have been a normal moonshine delivery trip into Horsemans Flats had turned in to a nightmare for Pops, Granny and their 3 granddaughters the only one who escaped and known to be still alive is Betsie May.

She, has to go back into town to see if she can find out what has happened to Granny, Ellie May and Daisy May, and give Pops a decent burial.

She also needs to collect the pick up truck with the fuel, get the supplies, as well as find Tank if he is still there. Molly, Wang Mei and the kid decide to go and help her. Betsie May and Mollie have smg’s, Wang Mei is armed with a wood chopping axe but she is also a master of Kung Fu, the Kid is just a liability.

Horsemans Flats – looking very quiet. Same town - same layout

The white card squares are the encounter markers. I have lost the table that showed what they were, but they will become apparent as the story unfolds – I hope.

You can maybe just see Betsie May lurking in the bottom right corner of the board. The group have to cross the town to the corrugated iron building on the left side where they hope to find Pops and bury the old man, then go to the Deli, the building in the far left corner looking for Granny and the other two and then leave the table. Easy as that.

Straight away one of the encounters comes streaking out of the house and across the road straight at them. It is Lola chased by a Clutch of Zombies. Betsies nerve fails her and she ducks back behind the shed. Molly opens fire with her smg and rolls 1,1,1, her gun jams irreparably.
Wang Mei charges out wielding the axe two handed like some desperate Viking and attacks 2 of the zeds, swiftly followed by Molly wielding the now useless smg as some kind of primitive club.
Herd of Cows, Murder of Crows, Clutch of Zombies – what do you think. :D

Lola encouraged by Wang Mei and Molly has turned around and also attacks the zeds. Betsie is nowhere to be seen. A desperate fight ensues, Wang Mei and Mollie are both victorious but Lola only manages to hold her zed to a close draw. Come on she is only using a wine goblet as a weapon, what do you expect. The odds are now stacked against the lone shambling creature, and it is beaten to the floor by Lola with help from the other two.

Just as Lola is kicking the zombie to death, James Lamour the National Guardsman comes round the corner of the row of terraces further up the street. James was one of the Guardsmen who had cornered Wang Mei in the shed in the last story. She recognises him straight away and sees red.

She charges up the street yelling words that are unprintable on a family forum, swinging the big axe, he gets the jitters, doesn’t fire - just stands there. This is not going to end well.

Fighting is done by throwing a number of D6 dice depending on how good you are, weapons etc. She has 6 dice to his 2, but he hold out 1, then 2 then 3 times before falling to the ground Out of the Fight (OOF) in the 4th round of melee. She takes his shotgun for Molly, and his pistol and truncheon for Lola.

Molly and Wang Mei decide to search the forge first - where they find a base ball bat and then search the barn - where they find Tank.
“Hey Tank, Betsie is outside”, he sort of growls and then with out any warning attacks Molly and kills her before Wang Mei can help. She buries her axe in his head and he flops to the floor dead. Another zombie she exclaims disgustedly.

RIP Molly - dead on the floor - zed bodies (skulls) all around and in the distance another 4 shambling figures are slowly making their way down the street towards them. They rush across the street into the terrace of houses and find a small arms cache. Good news, they are going to need it.

Coming out of the house on the far side Wang Mei is 1st out and runs straight into a zed, she has 6 dice to it’s 1 and still takes 4 turns of melee to kill it. She must be getting tired.
The girls form a conga line and set off for the corrugated building. Off to their right is another Clutch of Zombies who see them but …

They see James the guardsman and start to chew on him rather than chase after the girls. The die indicates how long he lasts before they are ready to feed again. Good die for the girls, not so good for James.

The girls see a zed and fail their bottle test and all run for it, the zed gives chase. Slowly.

Bugger this running around thinks Betsie and she turns and attacks the zombie with the base ball bat and can only manage a draw. Damn these zombies are tough.

Next turn she kills it and moves off to the barn to see if she can find and bury Pops. The other two look in the pickup and luckily the keys are still in the ignition, I guess the zeds haven’t learned to drive yet.

They all enter the barn, Pops is there laying on the floor, but he is groaning and cussing in equal measure. A lucky dice roll and he is still alive, not happy but alive, Wang Mei and the kid stay to look after him.

Betsie and Lola go looking for Granny and the other two last seen in the Deli. There is lots of blood but no sign of them, the blood trail goes out the back door.
Betsie follows the trail which leads to the road out of town, Lola checks out the E Type, plenty of gas but no keys and then she heads off to the right where there is another parked car.

This does have keys and she starts up and drives back to the barn. Not a clever move the noise generates 2 zeds and the ones eating James have finished the entrée and are now ready for the main course. They move towards the noise.

The next turn the girls fail to activate but the zeds do and so get closer. Next turn Lola runs into the barn to get Pops and Wang Mei but leaves the engine running, which attracts more zombies. And it was all going so well.

Betsie runs back but is cut off from the barn by zeds.

She can see others coming.

She attacks the nearest, killing it with the bat, and shouts to her mates that she will lead these zeds off and for them to meet her at the Pearsons house outside of town. So she sets off running in the opposite direction, she is the lone figure going down the road to the right, as fast as her little lead legs can carry her.

Followed by a large Clutch of Zombies. The car engine is still running, the noise generating still more zombies, but most of these follow down the road after Betsie and the rest of the zeds.

With most of the Zeds gone Wang Mei, Lola and Pops sneak out of the barn to the truck. There are only 2 zeds baring the way.
Wang Mei decides to attack them, leaving Lola to get Pops and the Kid away in the pickup truck, I’ll get the car and follow you she says optimistically. Pops is moving slowly due to his wounds and needs to be assisted. He does seem to be leaning very heavily on Lola but I guess we all would.

Wang Mei has killed the 2 zombies, Lola has got Pops and the kid in the truck, and only has to get in herself, start it up and they are out of here.

But it doesn’t start, not this go, not next go, meanwhile Wang Mei has got into the car, the engine is still running, she reverses into the group of zeds behind her and drives down the road towards the pickup. Lola finally gets the truck started and sets off.

They are driving down the road neck and neck and I’m feeling quite confident that they will get away when this yellow hated zombie jumps out right in their path.

Wang Mei hits it, killing it outright, but looses control of the car, runs into Lola who also looses control and…

They both crash into the walls by the side of the road and stop, there is a lot of noise generating even more zombies. However they were both very lucky and didn’t stall the engines, they also passed their guts test and so remained calm. Note the yellow hated zed, regenerated immediately, I was running out of figures.

Here are the rest of them, shambling up the street looking for food.

Lola managed to reverse the truck out of the wall, but Wang Mei was inactive, I guess suffering from shock, problem is she is blocking the road. The zeds are getting closer.

And CLOSER.

Lola gets the truck moving forward but Wang Mei is still in shock, Zeds are banging on the roof and trying to tear the doors off, only a question of time before it gets really nasty.

But finally with a good dice roll Wang Mei finally got her act together and drove off like a bat out of hell, closely followed by Lola, with zeds trying to hang on but unable to do so.

Well another close call, what a game, I was sweating a bit at the end, it all seemed under control until that daft Lola left the car engine running, hasn’t she read the rules, that’s the worse thing she could have done to generate zombies.
Then to be driving down the road – home free and to lose control at the last minute, I thought – they are all going to die, what a bad way to end, but they didn’t die – big sigh of relief.

So if they all meet up at the Pearsons place will they decide to call it a day and go back to the cabin in the mountains or will they continue the search for Granny and the other two girls - of course they will continue the search.

If you are still here – thanks for reading.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 04:05:33 PM by Vagabond »

Offline Duke Donald

• Mastermind
Re: Ozark Mountain Moonshiners - Find Granny, Bury Pops Game 2
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2017, 10:42:40 PM »
That was another enjoyable read!

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2017, 12:51:19 AM »
Always fun to see your miniatures and terrain in action. THANKS for posting.

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Everything is Better with Vampire Supermodels
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2017, 01:07:34 AM »

Still here and looking forward to see what happens next in that GREAT series of adventures! ;)
"Because life is made of inspiration, dreaming and insanity in about equal measure."
- Erzsébet Báthory - 1560-1614 (?)

TikiCoast

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2017, 01:28:41 AM »
« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 12:07:20 AM by TikiCoast »

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2017, 02:16:00 AM »
BTW: nice Karmann Ghia!  ;)  I used to have a 1966 one in 1:1 scale back in the 80s!  ;)

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2017, 05:34:13 PM »
Thanks guys, I appreciate you taking the time to comment - so I know someone is reading this drivel.

One more game to go, it was all or nothing on the last game.

BTW: nice Karmann Ghia!  ;)  I used to have a 1966 one in 1:1 scale back in the 80s!  ;)

I wondered what it was, I picked this and the E-Type up in a flea market in Germany, they both have Fustenberg on the side so I assume that is a German beer, although I don't know, they are both a little smaller than 1.43 which I think is better but of course they don't scale well with other 1:43  vehicles. :'(
I keep meaning to repaint them to remove the logo but there is only so much time. :(

Looks like it was a nice car to own :o :o

Offline marianas_gamer

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Our Man on Guam Watchman in the East
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2017, 08:43:03 PM »
Good to see that Pops made it! Must be all that sipping whiskey over the years  :D Looking forward to your next bout of madness  lol
Lon
Got to kick at the darkness till it bleeds daylight.

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2017, 10:00:49 PM »
Looks like it was a nice car to own :o :o

Sometimes I tell my GF I would like to buy a convertible Karmann, and she moans: "Oh no, not another old man's car!"  lol

(old man's car = a convertible sports car and proven chick magnet that you buy when you're old and wise  ;) )

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2017, 09:23:09 AM »
Gordon Bennett....! I need a lie down and a large Jamesons after that. Breathless stuff and right down to the wire. I do admire your ability to see a solo game through to a proper ending, John. I usually quite quickly get to a stage when I want to end it and so rush through the rules, especially any rules governing "AI" controlled characters. Your games look great and the scenarios produce a splendid story.

Visually appealing as well - nice table.

How about a Stagger of zombies?

Doug

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2017, 11:46:47 PM »
Hi Lon good to see you here, what bout of madness would you be referring to. Playing with toy soldiers, thats perfectly sane, I suppose giving them names and characters might be a little eccentric.

Dino - just buy one - you know you want to.

Doug - a stagger of zombies might be so right.

I know what you mean, I've spent hours setting a game up,  100's of figures laid out in some precision, looked at it for a while and put it all away again. That's when I discovered smirnoff, small games, zombies, rules that work for solo play and vampifans blog. Not looked back since ;)

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2017, 02:03:33 AM »

Dino - just buy one - you know you want to.

YES! I will trade my Z3 for my neighbour's 1966 Karmann Convertible! lol

That's when I discovered smirnoff, small games, zombies, rules that work for solo play and vampifans blog. Not looked back since ;)

Yep, Vampifan's Blog is a serious menace to anyone's sanity!  ;D

« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 02:09:27 AM by dinohunterpoa »

Offline Gun bunny

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2017, 04:03:35 AM »
 :D :D :D

TikiCoast

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2017, 05:12:32 AM »
« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 12:05:29 AM by TikiCoast »

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2017, 10:33:27 AM »
What is this Vampifan of whom you all speak? It sounds like an anti-depressant drug or something to put the spark back into a gentleman's life but I suspect it is neither of those things.

Doug