Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 02:17:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691077
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: A Stannis Baratheon Project Log (Update 30/08, pg 19 - Queen Selyse)  (Read 54477 times)

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
Fantastic! Some of those look really hard to pull off. I was going to do my version of Iron Islands types for the LPL one time, and really wanted to do that cephalopod-ish banner of theirs, but I rejected the idea as I didn't think I could do it justice given the time constraints. Love yours.

I can't help but think that the TV show version of the Bolton banner is so much better than the book one, mind. Most of them I really like, but I tend to think that one is a bit naff (the design, not the painting or anything).

I won't give the TV show much credit for anything, not once they ran out of book material, but I'm perfectly happy to give them that.  :)

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Smoke Frog

• Librarian
Really amazing looking banners!!

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
Thanks everyone!

Lovely work mate. I can vouch for how difficult the Targaryen banner is to paint

Ha yup! I spent a few weeks procrastinating on starting that one after seeing how detailed your Targaryen sail was!

I can't help but think that the TV show version of the Bolton banner is so much better than the book one, mind. Most of them I really like, but I tend to think that one is a bit naff (the design, not the painting or anything).

I won't give the TV show much credit for anything, not once they ran out of book material, but I'm perfectly happy to give them that.  :)

I think that and maybe their Umber variation, I almost included the book Umber one here, but I couldn't find a way I'd be able to paint a roaring giant banner that didn't look slightly goofy! (Though that might just be a limitation on my own ability at painting giants!)

(...I must admit though, the Bolton pink has definitely grown on me  lol )

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
Hi again,

Another slight diversion from Stannis, but with Antediluvian Miniatures adding to their Islemen range, I had some inspiration to make a start on some figures for House Greyjoy! For a start, I wanted to work on character figures for the Greyjoy uncles (Aeron, Victarion and Euron...and Rodrik the Reader), and Asha Greyjoy. I thought Victarion would be the most difficult to put together, so I did him first

For some background, Victarion Greyjoy is the captain of the Iron Fleet, and the younger brother of Balon and Euron Greyjoy. He's the most militaristic of the Greyjoy uncles, and a thoroughly unpleasant person, who spends most of his time being manipulated or outsmarted by just about everyone! Even GRRM talks about him as a brute who's "dumb as a stump!" So naturally he fits quite well as a bruiser at the core of a force on the tabletop!

Victarion very much buys in to the whole...squid gimmick of House Greyjoy, which made thinking of a way to model him quite difficult!

Notably he has a customised Kraken helm:
Victarion donned a tall black warhelm, wrought in the shape of an iron kraken, its arms coiled down around his cheeks to meet beneath his jaw.

And a cloak, cut into strips to look like a squid's tentacles
It was made of nine layers of cloth-of-gold, sewn in the shape of the kraken of Greyjoy, arms dangling to his boots.

Victarion specifically goes into battle in full plate, with a shield, so that part at least was fairly straightforward to represent!

The basis of the body is a Perry WotR Foot knight and his head is taken from an old GW Lokhir Fellheart, which seemed suitably ostentatious for a squid-themed helm!

The cloak is just green-stuff, I've decided to have it formed into eight 'arms', with six on the back, and two over the shoulders in the front...naturally it ended up quite fiddly to make!

I've also put together a later A Dance With Dragons era Victarion, after his run-in with R'hllor, I decided to give him some slightly lighter armour, to cope with the hot Essosi weather!

A lot of the reason for doing the ADwD Victarion was to have an excuse to sculpt up something to represent his crispy arm, which started life as a Perry Agincourt archer arm, with the forearm sanded down, and sculpted back up to give a cracked lava-ish look

I've also given him Victarion's Kraken cloak, which once again, was fiddly to do!

And here's the two versions together

Hopefully he's turned out ok! Let me know if you've got any different interpretations, he didn't make it into the TV show, so I feel like there's a lot of room for different ideas! 
« Last Edit: December 06, 2020, 12:47:43 AM by HappyChappy439 »

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Brilliant work!
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Very nice kitbashing  8)

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
That works well  8)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
Excellent kitbashing - hadn’t seen that head before, but it’s perfect for Victarion

8)

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
They are both excellent.

Offline Wellington Bonaparte

• Scientist
  • Strike Sure
Fantastic stuff, love that helmet its perefect!
Stand Fast - Strike Sure -  Carry On - Bydand

Offline Little Odo

• Mastermind
    • Little Odo's Grand Days Out
Looks great - both of them!
Little Odo's Grand Days Out
http://littleodo.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
Re: A Stannis Baratheon Project Log (Update 15/12, pg 14 - Fury Ready to Paint)
« Reply #206 on: December 15, 2020, 02:03:24 AM »
Thanks for the kind words about ol' Vic everyone!

Got another update today, this time with going back to putting together the Fury. It's been quite a few months since I posted any kind of update around it, but a pile of balsa wood, plasticard, cardboard and green-stuff later, I've finally made some progress, and I think I'm in a position where the construction is complete and it's ready to paint!

Turns out the ship is quite long, so the photos are on scenic "sofa with a dust sheet thrown on"  lol

I've added a forecastle on stilts, and a full cabin for the rear-castle. GRRM's ship descriptions seem to be a wild mishmash of things, but he does seem to consistently give galleys 'proper' cabins.

I figure, being the flagship of Stannis' fleet, the cabin would double up as the quarters of the commander, and as a war-room for the officers of the fleet. Davos mentions in A Clash of Kings that Ser Imry Florent summons the captains to the Fury to discuss battle plans, so I figured the cabin itself needed to be pretty large! I've added two sets of stairs, and two flagpoles to the rear of the castle

The forecastle is much smaller, and more just as a fighting platform for the ship

And here's a picture with the sail and mast attached to it

What I've not pictured are the hundred-something oars I'll need to paint up. That'll be a task and half!

Let me know how it's coming along, and if there's any glaring errors!

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #207 on: December 15, 2020, 06:11:58 AM »
Wow! Great work! Looking forward to seeing that painted.

Offline BZ

• Mad Scientist
  • https://oathgrave.blogspot.com/
    • Oathgrave
« Reply #208 on: December 15, 2020, 06:34:25 AM »
Thats a nice, big ship! What was the plastic base? Some roman ship?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2020, 06:42:39 AM by BZ »

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
« Reply #209 on: December 15, 2020, 08:35:23 AM »
Thats a nice, big ship! What was the plastic base? Some roman ship?

Yup! It was the Zvezda "Trireme of the Roman Emperor" kit originally