Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:48:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Andy's Pulp misadventures...  (Read 45617 times)

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • BMC Miniatures - All things wargame related.
Re: Andy's Pulp misadventures...
« Reply #90 on: March 07, 2022, 12:48:42 AM »
That is rather nifty - you should do a pole with an windsock see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windsock

Offline Andy in Germany

• Scientist
« Reply #91 on: June 05, 2022, 06:47:57 PM »
That is rather nifty - you should do a pole with an windsock see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windsock

I should have thought of that. Maybe later.

things have stalled (again) because I need to find another apartment, and the search is taking a lot of time and energy, so I'm working on painting some figures in the hope I'll be able to make a game work after I move...

Only primer so far, but I'll add a bit each day...

Offline Andy in Germany

• Scientist
« Reply #92 on: June 08, 2022, 07:49:02 PM »
I'm working on the figures, slowly. This is mainly because after seeing the work on here I'm getting all ambitious; again; I'm building up a league of Dusenjetjäger or "Jet Troops"

In my personal Pulp Universe WW1 ended in 1916 or thereabouts and Germany had a series of revolutions then dissolved into the old states of the German Confederation. The South West of the country will be a bit chaotic but is dominated by three major players, the largest of which is Württemberg. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W%C3%BCrttemberg) The flag of Württemberg is a dark red and black, hence the red details.

In our own timeline Württemberg has always been at the forefront of technology, and obviously it is the home of the Zeppelin and Mercedes et c. So I'm assuming that their military will enthusiastically adopt any new technology, much of which will undoubtedly be as dangerous to their own troops as any enemy.

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #93 on: June 10, 2022, 01:47:49 AM »
Great thread! I just read all 7 pages of it. I love your scratch building and in particular your insistence on creating everything yourself rather than just buying an MDF or resin model. I used to be that way and wish I had time and your life passion, Andy. You are an inspiration!

Mike Demana

Offline Andy in Germany

• Scientist
« Reply #94 on: June 10, 2022, 05:43:17 AM »
Great thread! I just read all 7 pages of it. I love your scratch building and in particular your insistence on creating everything yourself rather than just buying an MDF or resin model. I used to be that way and wish I had time and your life passion, Andy. You are an inspiration!

Mike Demana

Thanks Mike. It's largely due to lack of cash, but I confess the process of making interesting things out of other things is fascinating in itself.

Offline Andy in Germany

• Scientist
« Reply #95 on: June 10, 2022, 05:43:31 AM »
I've worked out how to improve phone photos of my figures. I'm still working on the "gluing figure to base" quality...

Offline Andy in Germany

• Scientist
« Reply #96 on: July 22, 2022, 06:29:03 PM »
The Dusenjäger are complete:

Also, the flat hunting which has been plaguing me for several months has finally been resolved; it wasn’t helped by the need to be within easy cycling distance of work because I’m a tree hugging hippy and refuse to own a car.

In the meantime I'm painting my way through a stack of Pulp Figures as represented by “Lev the Anarchist” who is carrying enough explosives that he’s probably a danger to friend or foe within about 20 metres in a combat situation, I particularly like the way he has a detonator on his back but appears to be lighting a fuse on the dynamite in his hand.

He’ll soon be joined by some comrades in arms to travel the world and awaken the proletariat to their oppression, or possibly of course, oppress them a bit more in service of the highest bidder; even anarchists gotta eat.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2022, 06:33:54 PM by Andy in Germany »

Offline Andy in Germany

• Scientist
« Reply #97 on: September 13, 2022, 06:57:50 PM »
I'm getting seriously addicted; these arrived this evening, from Miniatriculum:

I'd also really like to have a female league based on the largely female groups of thieves from London in the 20's and 30's; they tended to be very, even ostentatiously glamorous during their heists.Are there any figures available that would fit this description? I've looked around but I'm still not familiar with the ranges of figures in Pulp...

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #98 on: September 13, 2022, 07:24:34 PM »
Gorgeous stuff Andy

Offline rumacara

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
« Reply #99 on: September 23, 2022, 06:11:36 PM »
I'd also really like to have a female league based on the largely female groups of thieves from London in the 20's and 30's; they tended to be very, even ostentatiously glamorous during their heists.Are there any figures available that would fit this description? I've looked around but I'm still not familiar with the ranges of figures in Pulp...

Try the gangster ranges both from Pulp figures, Copplestone castings and Great Escape Games. You may find what you are looking for.

Offline aircav

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • the aircav saga
« Reply #100 on: September 23, 2022, 06:28:21 PM »
« Last Edit: September 23, 2022, 06:31:38 PM by aircav »

Offline Cacique Caribe

• Mastermind
  • Gelatinous Legal Alien
« Reply #101 on: September 26, 2022, 09:55:22 AM »
Andy

Excellent discussion and inspiring work!  How thick are the acrylic bases you’re using?  Thanks

Dan

Offline Andy in Germany

• Scientist
« Reply #102 on: October 01, 2022, 11:50:48 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions and replies, apologies for my delayed response; I didn't get a notification.

More figures being painted at the moment and I really would like to try some kind of airship...

Offline Andy in Germany

• Scientist
« Reply #103 on: October 01, 2022, 11:51:53 AM »
Andy

Excellent discussion and inspiring work!  How thick are the acrylic bases you’re using?  Thanks

Dan

Thanks Dan. I bought a set of 3mm bases, but I'm trying 2mm to see if they're a bit less obtrusive.

Offline Andy in Germany

• Scientist
« Reply #104 on: February 04, 2023, 07:56:59 AM »
Having finally got myself into gear for some Pulp games I've started experimenting with the solo deck. This week I tried another conflict between the Aroura League and the 'Auxiliary Police' in my 1930's Alternative history scenario, where the tiny island of Ascension is becoming a real hotbed of intrigue and politics.

In this Episode the Aroura League (Which are either a bunch of freedom fighter or con artists depending on who you ask) are keeping an appointments with a foreign agent, when they realise that the Auxiliary Police are already there; not only that but the AP have still got a box of Secret Chemicals that the Aroura League failed to capture in their last encounter. This is an opportunity for the Aroura crew for some payback...

Starting setup. The red dots mark the approximate locations of the plot points. They are (L-R): Power distributor; Foreign Agent (in the control tower, centre) Secret Chemicals (in the truck, with a perilous area from the noxious fumes they are naturally putting out). Gamma Ray on the Monowheel, and some Contraband Gold which someone has hidden in he water tower for reasons unknown.

Starting points are determined by dice roll, and the two leagues enter at right angles to one another, which means they very quickly come into contact, with Lawrence and the Auxiliaries near the camera and the Aroura League's Sharpshooter in the distance. Much classic Pulp (i.e. ineffective) shooting ensues.

A dice roll allows McPherson the sharpshooter to 'hit' Col. Lawrence. One quirk of the Auxiliaries is that 'Colonel' Lawrence is nominally in charge of the League but is classed as a follower in the rules, due to a complete lack of skills and abject cowardice. As one hit for a follower means he's 'out', it's assumed that he's run away. Again.

Lt. Gunning watches his supposed 'leader' run off and breathes a sigh of relief. Now they can get on with the job. His Sidekick, Seaman Dundass, and Ally 'Commandant'  Allen are running to the power distributor to prevent sabotage. MacPherson is doing an Obi Wan and taking the high ground.

Meanwhile Betsy goes to her contact but it seems the Agent is spooked by all the shooting going on and doesn't want to talk. Or to put it another way, Betsy has to get two successes in cunning or might to get this plot point and despite having 3d10 in either still manages to fail this turn.

While Betsy tries to talk the Agent round, her ally, Friederick Johannsen who doesn't do the talking thing, instead decides to grab the Gamma Ray on the Experimental monowheel. Dundas sees him distracted and makes a foolhardy attempts to ambush him...

[/url]

...this doesn't end well.

With his league either abandoning the conflict or down, Gunning decides to cut his losses and get himself, the chemicals, and possibly his subordinates out of there. He leaps into the truck and starts the engine, just missing the control tower as he tries to avoid Allen.

2023_02_01_Secret_chemicals_10 by Andy in Germany, on Flickr

Allen tries to jump onto the truck but fails, while Ramirez (at left) runs around the control tower. Meanwhile Betsy, having got the important information, comes and fires at the truck from practically point blank range, supported by Friedrikson. The truck shows British engineering at its best; soaking up the punishment and bouncing over the rough terrain.

After her failed attempt at jumping aboerd Allen plays it safe and runs alongside the truck. Gunning drives slowly to shield her from the fury of the Aroura League...

Betsy and her team watch the truck leave; they didn't get the chemicals back but they have some very valuable information and a Gamma Ray which someone will certainly pay them handsomely for. The Auxiliaries can have this victory...