Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 05:19:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: ACW board  (Read 9546 times)

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
Re: ACW board
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2009, 08:54:33 AM »
I don't have any Perry yet  >:( I'm hoping they will blend in well with Redoubt, but may be a little small. My Perry ACW fit in very well with Foundry, so hopefully any disparity won't be great.

Offline Terrible Tim

• Scientist
    • The Wargamer
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2009, 09:58:23 AM »
I too have been tempted with ACW lately and will be buying mainly from Perry's range. I have ordered a Artizan gattling gun (the Perrys don't list one on their ACW list, I think they have a navy one - it has a round magazine) and a Pairie wagon, Buckboard and Stage Coach (for LOTOW) from Dixon.

TT.
...Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen....

Blog: www.the-wargamer.com

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2009, 01:18:20 PM »
Redoubt has a great range and the head are okay size wise but they are often more or less miscast (At least those I buy – Both from Redoubt UK and from MSC in the US).

Perry’s are great too and you can easily build basic unit using their plastic figures. Plus the range is (slowly) growing. I think they match well with Redoubt size wise but they are "slimmer" figures.

I like the "caricatural features" of the Dixon figures as that make them easy to paint but they are smaller than both Redoubt and Perry’s

I can’t comment on Sash and Sabre as I don’t own any….

I don’t own Old Glory figures either and I didn’t like them before but their "Second Edition Range" do look good… plus they look like great value for money
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 01:44:52 PM by Calimero »
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline Yankeepedlar01

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://talesfromghq.blogspot.com/2011/11/you-are-very-welcome-at-tales-from-ghq.html
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2009, 01:55:08 PM »
Redoubt have awful heads, too small for bodies. Perrys look nothing like ACW soldiers in photo sources and don't have anywhere near enough hair/beards. Renegade are enormous. Old Glory are very variable in quality, but some nice figures. Sash & Sabre are nice, but very small by modern standards. For me it has to be Dixon figures, excellent characterization, wonderful and accurate detail, enormous range and can buy individual figures. [But, awful horses, hit in the face by a spade perhaps?]
However, in our hobby its very much each to his own, seeing beauty where others see ugliness. So, make a choice and stick with it and ignore everyone else. ;)
"There is no point in being stupid unless you show it!"

http://talesfromghq.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2009, 02:00:17 PM »
 lol Well, if we remove all the figures that are not "100% historically accurate" from our games, we won’t be left with much to play with…  :D

Offline TMcNulty

• Assistant
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2009, 12:46:41 AM »
I too like the Dixon ACW range, Excellent detail easy to paint.

Redoubt is another excellent range. Along with their basic infantry figures, they have a few special unit packs, Zouave, Iron Brigade, Berdan sharpshooters to name a few.

Sash and Saber excellent figures. Love their Artillery pieces.

Foundry, except for the price they are also excellent.

Perry also excellent.

Crusader is fairly new to ACW. I've ordered some and was very pleased with them.

I've mixed all these lines with no problems.

Online Leapsnbounds

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2009, 01:28:31 AM »
I really want to thank all you Lead Adventurers for your valuable input.  I appreciate it more than you know. Despite the controversy that this causes.