Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:59:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Happy Chappy's Jaunt to Burgundy! - (12/11, P.10 - 1420s Foot Knights)  (Read 27428 times)

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
Hi again!

I'm back with something...technically unrelated to Burgundy at all, but rather some War of the Roses content!

I wanted to practice my heraldry painting, and try my hand at making a vignette (I've not done one of those before!), so inspiration struck, and I decided to make a small vignette recreating the (rather dramatised) death of Edmund of York, Earl of Rutland, where he is executed by Baron John Clifford in a revenge-driven attack, murdering the earl with his dagger in some sources, to avenge his father (killed at the first battle of St. Albans). This version of events may not actually be true, but it makes for a dramatic image! So I set to painting...

For this Vignette I've got the unfortunate Rutland, bound and captured, before a furious Lord Clifford, and one of his men at arms, wearing the Clifford wyvern livery

Here's the individual figures from the vignette

The Clifford man-at-arms

John Clifford, "The Butcher", 9th Baron Clifford

Edmund Plantagenet, Earl of Rutland (who took an unreasonably long time to paint!)

Let me know how it's turned out! I tried out a different way of taking photos so hopefully that's made a difference to how they've come out!

Offline jamesmanto

• Mad Scientist
Very well done indeed

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Great vignette. Well done  8)

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
Your efforts were worth it. They look great!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 11:11:34 PM by commissarmoody »
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
Thanks for the kind words all! Glad it turned out ok!

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Nice done with the heraldry. Lovely vignette.
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline SirGromit1879

• Librarian
Beautifully painted figures, and i feel sorry for the poor chap about to be murdered, he is posed so well!

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
Thanks again for all the kind words with the Vignette! I may try more in future!

But for this week, I've finished off a block of infantry for Antoine the Grand Bastard of Burgundy at Montlhéry (in 1465). I'm using them to represent Coutiliers in his service, fighting dismounted as a group of polearm-equipped infantry (I use 'billmen' in the post title mostly because I'm a sucker for alliteration!)

For their banner, I decided to give them a pennon in the style of some of the later Ordonnance pennons, but in the colours of Beveren, a town associated with Antoine, and conveniently with the same heraldic colours as Antoine himself!

Let me know how they've turned out! My plan is to have a large block of archers, and a few men at arms led by Antoine himself, as part of his contingent as the rear-guard at Montlhéry

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
Excellent, I really like this unit.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Fancy!  8)

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
Nice!  :D

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
Hi again everyone!

Got some more of the Grand Bâtard's retinue finished, this time a big block o' archers de corps!

I wanted to take some liberties with the banner for this unit, being Montlhéry era (i.e pre Ordonnance), I assumed the standardised company banners wouldn't have been adopted yet, but I took the basic layout of some of Duke Charles' "Je Lay Emprins" banners that you see in his later archer companies, and make them more Antoine-y, so replacing the motto with "Nul ne s'y frote", adding the barbecane, and having the colours in blue/yellow rather than blue/white.

For reference, the image I'm using as a comparison is the depiction of Antoine's banner in "La Mission de Jeanne D'Arc" which has a reconstruction in there...although trying to paint the font on the letters they use was a nightmare!

It's not strictly historically accurate, but I thought it'd lend a bit of variety to each unit.

Let me know how they've turned out!

(edit: I've updated the photos because the focus/lighting was a bit wonky on the first try!)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 08:06:15 AM by HappyChappy439 »

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
They have turned out really rather well!!!

I can’t believe the detail and complexity you are painting on the livery jackets, halved colours are usually enough for me.

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
Hi again!

I've been busy trying to finish this first contingent of Burgundians so I've knocked together a unit of men-at-arms to finish off ol' Antoine's battle. The men-at-arms themselves are straight-builds from the Perry MAA box, with added plumes, and green-stuff sashes on the cuirasses (inspired by painterman), while the standards are based on Antoine's heraldic banner, and an illustration of his personal standard given in La Mission de Jeanne D'arc (itself based on a decription by Jean de Haynin)

Antoine himself is a converted Perry Warwick. I added a plume to his helmet to make him more 'Burgundian,' and a half-caparison for his mount, based on a description on the Mémoires of Olivier de la Marche (Charles the Bold's captain of guards). In his account, Antoine the Grand Bastard, has his horse draped in tan velvet, embroidered with a gold Barbecane, and gold letters representing his motto "Nul ne s'y frote"

I wasn't quite sure how those letters would be laid out on a caparison, so I based my painting on an example in a manuscript:

So with those men-at-arms finished, I've completed my retinue for Antoine the Grand Bâtard of Burgundy, so here's some group shots (with hastily airbrushed out Westerosi!)

Let me know how they've turned out! Plan is next to focus on a similar retinue for Charles the Bold, as count of Charolais so lots of black/purple!

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
They look great! Keep up the good work.  :D