Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 09:34:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690750
  • Total Topics: 118346
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Happy Chappy's Jaunt to Burgundy! - (12/11, P.10 - 1420s Foot Knights)  (Read 27546 times)

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
They look really good.

And I’m impressed with the historical research you have done, and then been able to apply to the units.

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
Thanks for the kind words!

And I’m impressed with the historical research you have done, and then been able to apply to the units.

Honestly the research has been a lot of fun! I went into this pretty ignorant around Burgundy (and also VERY limited in being able to read French), so being able to learn all sorts of new stuff has been a great experience!

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
That’s really good to hear.

I think too often we take the easy route of published army lists and scenarios, going back to the history to find out more is always good. It’s even more impressive if you are going back to original language sources.

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
Hi again!

Quick update this time, before I get stuck in on Charles, Comte de Charolais' retinue (and possibly Baldwin, Bastard of Burgundy), I decided to put together and paint a figure to represent Philip the Good, Duke of Burgundy after 1430.

As the extremely wealthy and influential Duke of Burgundy I wanted to set him apart from both the men-at-arms and his vassals and knights, so he gets a full suit of gilded armour, and lots of embroidery! It's quite exceptionally gaudy! Just because he's a man of wealth doesn't mean he's a man of taste!  lol

The figure himself is a converted Perry Buckingham, where the rider himself is mostly unmodified (I thought with the big chaperon he made a good Philip!), while the horse has a plume attached, and a half-caparison done with green-stuff.

The caparison itself has Duke Philip's arms, in his personal device of a fire-steel, while his outfit I've tried to paint after the various portraits of Philip which have him in an all-black outfit (I've added some little grey detailing to change things up a little)

Hopefully he's turned out ok! Freehanding heraldry like that on such a small area is quite difficult!

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Brilliant work!
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
As a quick follow-up post, here's a family photo of my Valois-Burgundy characters so far!

Grandpappy John the Fearless, Philip the Good, and lil baby Great Bastard Antoine

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
He looks splendid. Nice job on the heraldry.

Offline SirGromit1879

• Librarian
Wow I love that red liveried unit brilliantly done, great to see them all toghether. Fantastic job on the heraldry too, really nice and crisp!

Offline jamesmanto

• Mad Scientist
As the extremely wealthy and influential Duke of Burgundy I wanted to set him apart from both the men-at-arms and his vassals and knights, so he gets a full suit of gilded armour, and lots of embroidery! It's quite exceptionally gaudy! Just because he's a man of wealth doesn't mean he's a man of taste!  lol

He is the height of early 15th century taste and elegance!
Absolutely brilliant!

Antoine's retinue is just FABULOUS!

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
Re: Happy Chappy's Jaunt to Burgundy! - (30/09 - Lambert Simnel)
« Reply #54 on: September 30, 2019, 12:56:16 AM »
Hi again!

So this update is a little bit of a tangent, and more of a jaunt FROM Burgundy, than to it! In my rather frenetic attention span, I ended up re-reading some old material around Margaret of York's involvement with supporting Yorkist pretenders from Burgundy, and it captured the imagination! The whole concept of a hidden prince sailing back to depose some usurper is a pretty engaging narrative premise (and probably was at the time too, given the success of the imposter pretenders at getting support!)

So with that in mind, I started work on trying to put together some figures to represent Lambert Simnel, the poor 11 year old who was set up to impersonate the Earl of Warwick (son of the Duke of Clarence), and rather unfortunately got caught up in the schemes of the Yorkist rebels in 1487. I wanted to get some practice doing some more sculpting, so this seemed like a good opportunity!

For this I've got the pretend-prince, and a couple of retainers provided by the Earl of Lincoln (with the trumpeter wearing the old Clarence colours of Murrey and Blue) on a bit of a command base for the three of them.

And here's the pint-sized pretender himself. I've given his outfit just the 'generic' royal arms of England, so potentially he could be subbed in for the Prince of Wales around Wakefield, with a swap of banners!

Let me know how he's turned out! I'll probably do some more Stoke Field adjacent stuff to go with the Burgundians (there's always room for some rough-tough Martin Schwartz types in the ducal armies after all!)

This was also my first foray into using Pete's Flags and I am VERY impressed with the quality of the flags, I highly recommend them!

Offline painterman

• Mad Scientist
    • le lay emprins
« Reply #55 on: September 30, 2019, 09:39:43 AM »
Love the teenage Pretender (and the other figures), a great idea which has loads of gaming uses!
Simon.

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #56 on: September 30, 2019, 09:42:36 AM »
Splendid  :)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #57 on: September 30, 2019, 10:20:16 AM »
Great job. At first I thought he was a hobbit, but he's a scratch sculpt? Impressive :)

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
« Reply #58 on: September 30, 2019, 10:53:41 AM »
Great job. At first I thought he was a hobbit, but he's a scratch sculpt? Impressive :)

Oh no, his top half is a Hobbit at least! I had to mutilate poor Frodo for that!

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #59 on: September 30, 2019, 10:55:43 AM »
Ah lol That explains it. I thought that cloak and hairdo seemed familiar!