Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:05:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Cohen the Barbarian inspired figures.'Tin Sheds Fantasy Thread '  (Read 22912 times)

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
A while ago I mused on picking up an age old project .So rather than pick one.I'll take the lunatic logic of thr Hive mind and do them all.
First choice is start with some Dwarfs . Now do I stick with the original painting style or sell off and start from scratch from the lead pile.(sounds and odd way to start I know.)Using a similar styling to the Giant and the ski dwarf.

I'm not sold on either course of action .So I'm starting with some allied units(and now you know why the whole fantasy army project got shelved in the first place ;D)

« Last Edit: June 26, 2022, 08:30:46 PM by tin shed gamer »

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
Re: Tin sheds Fantasy Armies thread.(a long term plod)
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2019, 06:01:48 PM »
Oooh, I do like that Giant!

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Belgian

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Wargame News and Terrain
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2019, 06:18:42 PM »
Looking really good!

Out of curiosity, have you already sculpted fantasy miniatures yourself?
Wargame News and Terrain Blog, daily updated with the latest wargame news

Interested click https://wargameterrain.blogspot.com/

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2019, 08:46:21 PM »
Great stuff,love the chap in the plate with the specs :)
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2019, 08:48:09 PM »
Fantastic.

And I love the banners.

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2019, 07:54:36 AM »
Cheers Chaps,Glad you like them.

The banners aren't brilliant.They're all done to lool good at a distance.The dwarf banners took a couple of hours each(mainly because they're on paper and it doesn't do to rush painting acrylics as180gsm paper scares easily.)
The cavalry banner took 40 minitues for both sides.Gram plays with brushes alot so he could attest to the brush strokes and limited pallet been done at speed(had to sneak that in yesterday as the Mrs thought I was working on restoring an antique chair she bought in the morning.It took less than an hour to repair If she'd know thats she'd have made go with her for tea at her friends. No No No -dropped off picked up- kids at the cinema -chair mended -sneaked in some painting - Brownie points earned .=Win Win for all parties)
The cavalry are from the old Battle Masters game.
Just a minor tweak of a plastic head , plastic banner ,and two shield details.
The horses have a surprisingly wide gate.Didn't notice until I went to pop them onto standard cavalry bases.
I'm also doing a test unit of plastic archers from the game to.All with head swaps as the heads are undersized.
As for sculpting fantasy not for a long while(no ones commissioned any lol)
But some of the cultist for the follies range would fall under that heading(not released yet ;))

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: War hammer Fantasy Armies thread.(a Tin shed long term plod/wip)
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2019, 05:16:11 PM »
I decided on continuing with the old school three colour shade method .As I'm going to be continuing to expand units as time allows its probably the most sustainable method as it just uses off the shelf paints no mixing shades. So the first figure should be pretty much the same as the last.

I've managed to get the two test cavalry figures to a table top standard which should give an idea of the colour scheme for the battalion. A little bit of sods law (draw back of working at speed). The knights foot marked the cream barding whilst gluing him on.So only a little retouching required.Still its lost time.
Also a quick picture of the basic head swaps that are going to allow the archers to sit more comfortably with my other figures

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2019, 05:18:12 PM »
Purdy.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Belgian

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Wargame News and Terrain
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2019, 06:15:49 PM »
Cheers Chaps,Glad you like them.

The banners aren't brilliant.They're all done to lool good at a distance.The dwarf banners took a couple of hours each(mainly because they're on paper and it doesn't do to rush painting acrylics as180gsm paper scares easily.)
The cavalry banner took 40 minitues for both sides.Gram plays with brushes alot so he could attest to the brush strokes and limited pallet been done at speed(had to sneak that in yesterday as the Mrs thought I was working on restoring an antique chair she bought in the morning.It took less than an hour to repair If she'd know thats she'd have made go with her for tea at her friends. No No No -dropped off picked up- kids at the cinema -chair mended -sneaked in some painting - Brownie points earned .=Win Win for all parties)
The cavalry are from the old Battle Masters game.
Just a minor tweak of a plastic head , plastic banner ,and two shield details.
The horses have a surprisingly wide gate.Didn't notice until I went to pop them onto standard cavalry bases.
I'm also doing a test unit of plastic archers from the game to.All with head swaps as the heads are undersized.
As for sculpting fantasy not for a long while(no ones commissioned any lol)
But some of the cultist for the follies range would fall under that heading(not released yet ;))

Somebody should, would be interesting to see your sculpting style being used for fantasy miniatures! Great painting by the way.

Offline Maddoc

• Librarian
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2019, 06:17:10 AM »
Urgh.. More reasons to start painting my Oldhammer, lol:D

Offline Neldoreth

• Mastermind
    • An Hour of Wolves and Shattered Shields
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2019, 06:54:15 PM »
Those cavalry figures, aren't they from an old board(ish) game that you could buy like in the 80s? I always thought the models were absolutely terrible, but you've done a wonderful job making them look amazing.

And those red archers... what are those? I really suddenly want a whole unit of those turban-wearing archers for my old-hammer Bretonnians :)

Thanks
n

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2019, 10:18:05 PM »
 Yes they're from the MB Battle Masters game.
The Human infantry figures are poor. But if you've got spare heads floating around then they're a seriously cheap alternative.The cavalry arent two bad a little tweat and cover up of a mould line and they workout around £3 a figure rather than £10-£15 for empire plastics on eBay.
Cubs has a thirty or so unpainted plastic Bretoninan archers he's selling( he obviously needs the money for the electric meter otherwise they wouldn't be that cheap    ;))
Belgian.
All ready had some enquiries from a small company near me.
Just double busy .This week just gone I've been sculpting Russians , Had people collecting commissions, Stripped and cleaned six .303's a Bren. Built two sand bag frames for bayonet practice displays (only told last second they need a healthy and safety inspection plus a Coshh sheet for straw and Hessian  :o ).
In morning I'm off for four days on a dig.So taking the Mrs and the youngest with me camping near the site.plus Ive a bucket load of deadlines that have been bumped for Partizan 2.
People wonder why I always look for the bar at a show .Simple drop off -job done- stuck here for a couple of hours whilst your mates plod round- so might as well relax - it all starts again on Monday.

Offline MagpieJono

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2019, 05:56:46 PM »
Those old metal dwarves are absolutely fantastic. Brings back so many good memories of gaming in the early 90s.

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: War hammer Fantasy Armies thread.(26/08 update.)
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2019, 09:17:25 AM »
Partizan is all done and dusted.
So I managed to fit a general/hero in.Over the last two evenings.(So around six hours.) Now I've seen it in day light it does need a little tlc.
It's an EBay find already undercoated and half painted and had a thick layer of dust.Quick wash and chuck paint at it.
With hind sight big big mistake. lol In my rush to keep this project on track.I'd totally forgotten how much softer these castings are compared to todays metals.Plus thirty year old superglue doesn't like soapy water.
Then you add in the fact I use a hairdryer to speed up washes and inks.
I finished painting and thought I'd give it one more blast with the hairdryer before adding sand to the base .Just to make sure sand didn't stick to the figure.
And Jenga! It totally fell apart .not just a little but completely .Wings, chair, body the lot!. Whilst painting I thought to my self 'I could have sworn the rider was in two parts . Turns out I was right lol.
 After swearing a bit I had a chuckle at my own stupidity.I always strip clean and re glue second hand figures .But apparently I know better and took a short cut. So its my own fault.
To day if there's time I'll go back and hide finger prints and check gaps.
But Hay ho. ::)

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: War hammer Fantasy Armies thread.(26/08 update.)
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2019, 11:40:34 AM »
just magnificent.