Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 09:42:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690842
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Vikotnik's Denmark-inspired Pyrate Thread  (Read 13543 times)

Offline **GS**

• Mad Scientist
  • never enough time
    • Spitl.de
Re: Vikotnik's Denmark-inspired Pyrate Thread
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2012, 08:35:00 AM »
Great, missed the Goblins but am pleased to see, some people still paint Rackham stuff; those were funny days.

The boat is an eyecatcher too.
"You don't have enough magic in you to make cereals into breakfast!"Harry Blackstone Copperfield Dresden

Offline Admiral Benbow

• The Queen's Own Gizmologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • "Creativity is a drug I cannot live without."
    • The Benbow Workshop
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2012, 10:12:07 PM »
Superb rendering of this Käpt'n Blaubär ship, Karsten! I have this kit stored for quite some years now, but was never really motivated to convert it to a pirate ship. Now I'm really inspired ...  :-*

Offline vikotnik

• Moonman
  • Mad Scientist
  • Jack Radient Sky
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2012, 05:35:42 PM »
Thank you for the very nice comments, guys!  :)

Michael, do not hesitate to bring it to whatever convention we meet as soon as yours is finished! We could then have a small pyrate battle! How cool would that be?

Svenn, Disneyland is most definitely hitting the right nerve! you just have to wait until I applied the... sparkle...

DeafNala, thank you for posting the link.

Zafarelli at 01:00 am:
\"...everything is strange in a way. ... Always."

Offline vikotnik

• Moonman
  • Mad Scientist
  • Jack Radient Sky
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2012, 08:10:31 AM »
It has been a long time since I posted some kind of progress in this thread.

However, I have not been idle at all... But before I show some pics of the stuff I painted for this project, I wanted to give this...

...fellow the kind of treatment he deserves. Originally, the whole miniature is cast in one piece, including the windows in the helmet. Back when I bought the boxed set, I already thought that it would be cool to replace them for the real thing. So I decided to do it, even if, during gaming or in the photos of the finished miniature, nobody would notice at all! ;D

First, I drilled out the windows of the helmet with the frontal cavity large enough to have a goblin head fit inside of it:

Then, I had to sculpt a new goblin head. I did so by rolling a ball of putty and putting it inside the helmet...

...gave it a rough head-shape and pushed some eye-sockets into it...

...cut a mouth and shaped the lips and put some creases in the whole thing...

...added eyes...

...let it dry overnight and finally added teeth and a nose:

I then painted the miniature before adding the windows which I made from blister foil I fished out of my waste bin:

This picture was made before adding the metallic details.

I could kick myself for not having made any pictures while making the windows, but I was in a kind of frenzy, eager to get this thing finished! After all, this was only the third goblin I worked on and several other were waiting to get painted...!
Just a short summary of what I did: I made balls of Milliput that would fit into the cavities I ground into the helmet(there are three more, two on the sides and one on top of the helmet...), let them dry overnight, glued them to an old brush handle and polished them. Then, all I had to do was heat the blister foil and push them into it.
I glued them into place with PVA because superglue sometimes mists clear parts while drying. After everything had set. I simply added the tiny reinforcement beams by using green stuff and let them set, then I carefully painted the whole thing.

Done! Instant windows nobody will notice!

:)

« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 09:54:28 AM by vikotnik »

Offline Relic

• Mad Scientist
  • www.lead-space.net
    • Personal hobby blog
There is something slightly unnerving when vikotnik starts posting.

Some of us* are learning the guitar and practising a few chords and Eric Clapton comes into the room. :o :o

*some of LAf can jam with Clapton I just know I can't!

Couldn't have said it better :D

Fantastic painting and those eyes... Wow!

Offline Galland

• Scatterbrained Genius
Oh what a nice project, I havent seen it before, so finding it today was great, since I am sitting here with a very bad hangover and cant really paint anything my self, I am enjoying others work instead! :)
Tintin - Pulp Adventures in a orderly fashion
Gallows Falls - Western Village
Eisende - Mordheim costal village WIP
Rome - SPQR & Hail Caesar

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
Top notch, Karsten!

Offline Christian

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ... standing on the shoulders of giants.
    • INCLTVS REX - Late Antique wargames blog
Yes, this is a really nice project :) I think my favourite thing is the ship, though... what a beauty!

Offline Thantsants

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Somewhere the tea's getting cold...
Wow - great face you sculpted there.

Did you fit the window with a hinge for when folks don't notice all your hard work on the table?  ;)

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
The Face of the Deep Sea Goblin is FANTASTIC...it brings a FINE mini to a higher level; the sculpting & the brushwork are WONDROUS to behold. VERY WELL DONE!
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline vikotnik

• Moonman
  • Mad Scientist
  • Jack Radient Sky
Thank you for the nice comments, guys!

@Thantsants: What a brilliant idea! I will consider this when I do a similar thing in the future! ...and I mean it!

OK, here is the final picture with Pyrate Goblins, some rather injured gobbo and a ... chef:

Man, that injured one really looks nasty.
These two are rather hard to get it seems as they were not included in the boxed set and do not show up on ebay very often. I had to order them from the US and paid a lot for shipping. But what else can you do when you are on fire with a project? Just sigh and obey, it seems.

...on to the critters:

Very early on, I decided that I would use the sea demons by Four A Miniatures. The brilliant sculpts are by one of my favourite sculptors, Paul Muller, and look utterly mischievous and evil while having a slightly comical element to them. Perfect as opponents for the Rackham Goblins! These fellows are a pleasure to paint and have a very high casting quality; virtually no flash at all!

Champion and, ahem, another champion:

...and my favourite, the Sea Witch:

...she is holding some kind of squid familiar in her left hand, simply fantastic, is she not?

Some monsters were painted, too.

First, again a Paul Muller sculpt by Four A Miniatures:

...as you will see later on, the game will take place in some underground lagoon, so the Creature from the Black Lagoon was obligatory.

An undead crab by Reaper Miniatures:

'Undead?' I hear you ask. Yes, Undead! You can even see its last meal through the rotten carapace:

I do not particularly like the paint job on this, but it had to be finished, so I painted it rather sloppily. The colours, however, are not imagined, but taken from an example that really exists:

:o...unbelievable, is it not? Nature's inventions can be soo great to behold...

Last, there is some squid creature I painted:

That's it for now, hope you enjoyed the pics! Next up will be the table(...at long last!) and how I built it!

Offline aggro84

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Noble Pursuits
Re: Vikotnik's Denmark-inspired Pyrate Thread ---Even more Pics added---
« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2012, 06:05:21 PM »
You are an amazingly talented painter!

I love these guys and this thread!

:-*  :-*  :-*

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2012, 06:32:58 PM »
GREAT LOOKING THINGIES! Your brushwork & imaginative color choices ROCK! I love the way you do your eyes...you don't often see blue eyed Goblins. VERY WELL DONE as always!

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #43 on: October 14, 2012, 06:34:32 PM »
even better!

Offline Henrix

• Scientist
  • Fernwright
« Reply #44 on: October 14, 2012, 07:27:28 PM »
Having seen that diver in the flesh I can only attest to its virtues. Fantastic!
--