Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 11:50:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690340
  • Total Topics: 118326
  • Online Today: 594
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Ogrob's fantasy projects - We need axes 17/3  (Read 131216 times)

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Re: Ogrob's fantasy projects - Rohan watchtowers 17/9
« Reply #690 on: September 17, 2022, 07:08:17 PM »
Great progress  :)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #691 on: September 17, 2022, 08:27:46 PM »
Thanks fellas! No progress on the Hall yet, I really should get on with that. I've also built a stables and I think I have sprues left for one or two regular size buildings. The plan is to have a whole walled settlement, I just need to get on with painting and building it.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #692 on: September 18, 2022, 09:14:58 AM »
Those turned out great! I like the colours and highlights on the wood- it looks weathered, but solid.

Yes, I quite agree with Pattus Magnus. Great work! 👍
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #693 on: September 25, 2022, 10:02:21 AM »
Right-o, back with some Rohan scenery. As I think I've mentioned back when I built the great hall, I got the Rohan settlement from GW when it was last available. It has six Rohan house kits as well as two sets of walls and towers. You've seen the towers and I'm about halfway through painting the walls. When it comes to the houses, converting the Great Hall takes four kits worth of roof pieces, but a lot less in walls, meaning I have plenty bits to spare.

I built this stables from just a single kit, a simple conversion leaving one wall off, adding some horse head posts and sticking two bits of fence inside. I found some 3D print horses in standing positions, but they are super low detail so not giving you any closeups.

And then I put together some surplus walls into an L-shaped building and made a roof out of plasticard. This is intended as a farmhouse, possibly the main residental building on a farm or a larger house in the small town with a little vegetable patch outside. The roof is covered in dirt texture as I'm going to be doing a Norwegian-style grass roof.

What do you think?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2022, 10:09:12 AM by Ogrob »

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
Re: Ogrob's fantasy projects - More Rohan buildings 25/9
« Reply #694 on: September 25, 2022, 08:59:14 PM »
They look good, I keep thinking about grabbing some as they don't have the overly fantasy look to them.

As a side note, if you want some rather good horses, you might want to look at some of the cheap plastic sets in the cheap stores. I'm in the US, and keep finding them in the Dollar Tree where there's about 20 horses in a pack, though that leaves about 6 horses, 2 ponies, and 2 of what looks like a donkey in it...though it's divide by 2 for the sculpts. Only work I had to do was shaving filing the copyright off their bellies and the injection port, and a couple needed a bit of filling at the injection point.

I've got about a dozen of the horses and a few of the others that I based on heavier, wooden craft discs because I offset them enough and based in order to leave space for a 1" miniature base to sit safely on the base besides the horse due to D&D and similar games...but the sculpts tend to be quite good and detailed, just need a good primer option that works on plastic.  I've also used them as wild horses and similar, they don't tend to have a bridle or saddle on them

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #695 on: October 06, 2022, 02:38:28 PM »
So I managed to get a game in the other day. My regular opponent came over and the baby was cooperative enough that we could play a solid game of SAGA. I've mentioned that I was going to be using the Rohirrim as several different historical factions, but plans completely changed when my opponent let me know about a couple of book finds. In Age of Invasions the Goth faction, specifially the Ostrogoths, have exactly the right equipment options for me: mounted hearthguard, mounted warriors, archer levy and added benefit they use the green saxon dice, which look very Rohan!

I bought the Age of Invasions book and liked what I saw, but we also noticed that there is an option in Age of Vikings to use the Goths as Lombards. Only difference is other mercenary options, including Breton Horsemen who are javelin cav.

I went with a unit of 8 hearthguard on horses, 2x8 warriors on horses, 8 breton horsemen and 12 levy with bows. My opponent played Jomsvikings, with 2x6 hearthguard, 2x10 warriors and a cheerlead squad of 4 warriors.

We rolled a random scenario in book of battles, notably ending up with fog (three turns of no shooting or charges from more than M away) and survival points. Because of the fog I played very defensive, just tossing out the bretons, trying and failing to do some small damage. My opponent was a bit scared of the unknown Goth board and held back as well, doing minor damage on range with his battleboard (the jomsvikings have no shooting, but an ability that makes a small shooting attack with no range restrictions) and wiping out the bretons.

Most of the game was played in turn four and five, where I had some cool charges, like taking out 6 hearhguard with 8 warriors with only one loss, but in the end my opponent took slightly more points from me and secured a very narrow win.

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #696 on: October 08, 2022, 11:08:04 PM »
Another little hobby update. I've really settled on playing the Rohirrim as Goths in SAGA now, really like the battleboard. If I use the Lombard variant as above, I only have access to a few mercenary options. On a whim I decided to model up the other main option, the Vagrant Warriors. In Age of Vikings these are foreign warriors, lost and desperate. I considered making some Beornings, but settled on something inspired by Dunedain of the North (love me some rangers). Perhaps even the Grey Company itself.

Minis are Victrix Saxons, a viking and an archer body, with oathmark human cavalry and light elf heads. The greenstuff is still curing, I may need to go back with a needle file and try to smooth down some of my mistakes.

I was also able to finish another impulse buy, started roughly at the same time as the city watch. Some GW Darkoath Savagers. Really like the Warcry warbands that they are making, and honestly proportions are really good. A lot of compatibility with my 28mm collection from elsewhere. Notice the one minis with a Victrix head. I think I will paint up the new Frostgrave necromancer and apprentice in this scheme and have myself another Frostgrave warband.

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
Re: Ogrob's fantasy projects - Grey company kitbashes and Darkoaths 9/10
« Reply #697 on: October 09, 2022, 02:40:39 AM »
Those Saxons with the Oathmark heads and hoods look fantastic- very well done!

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #698 on: October 09, 2022, 09:22:41 AM »
Great work, as always mate! 👍

Offline Knight-Captain Tyr

• Mad Scientist
  • Journal Keeper
« Reply #699 on: October 09, 2022, 11:49:49 AM »
Great work on the Vagrant Warriors, and really good to hear Saga's taken off so well for you. The Goths are a really fun board to use - they hit like a truck and handle Fatigue in a pretty unique way.
" ... the seventh wave of Thrall stumbled and climbed over the slippery, piled dead and Mazzarin saw The Watcher with them and at last knew the number of his days."

-Thrall Flavor Text, Myth: The Fallen Lords

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #700 on: October 09, 2022, 12:21:15 PM »
Great work on the Vagrant Warriors, and really good to hear Saga's taken off so well for you. The Goths are a really fun board to use - they hit like a truck and handle Fatigue in a pretty unique way.

Yeah, I kind of had to pick a game to focus on after becoming a parent, and SAGA is a good fit. It's nice to be back in it. Working on getting my clubmates to accept a bit more mixing of eras :D

The Goths are very cool, it is a fun thing to seriously consider arriving in a melee with two fatigue on the unit and still have it be on my terms.

Offline PineyPhantom

• Librarian
« Reply #701 on: October 09, 2022, 12:24:28 PM »
Do you ever find yourself wondering how you missed a thread, and then obsessively trawl through the said thread because it's amazing? I def just did that. Incredible work here. Your Sludge stuff always wowed me but these rangers, holy moly. I feel like I NEED to rebase my whole army with some real basing materials now lol.
"There are those who seek knowledge for the sake of knowledge; that is Curiosity.

There are those who seek knowledge to be known by others; that is Vanity.

There are those who seek knowledge in order to serve; that is Love.”

― St. Bernard of Clairvaux

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #702 on: October 09, 2022, 12:25:55 PM »
Do you ever find yourself wondering how you missed a thread, and then obsessively trawl through the said thread because it's amazing? I def just did that. Incredible work here. Your Sludge stuff always wowed me but these rangers, holy moly. I feel like I NEED to rebase my whole army with some real basing materials now lol.

One of my favourite things is reading through a massive hobby log thread for the first time, don't find too many new ones these days. Glad I could provide :D

Offline jon_1066

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #703 on: October 11, 2022, 11:39:19 AM »
The Darkoath lot look great but perhaps a little underdressed for the frozen north? Brrrrr!

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #704 on: October 15, 2022, 09:25:07 PM »
And here's what the Dunedain ended up looking like. Really quite enjoyed working on these. They will also be really useful as just the Goth/Lombar faction has access to four different types of sword and shield mercenaries.