Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:48:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686462
  • Total Topics: 118101
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Ogrob's fantasy projects - We need axes 17/3  (Read 128645 times)

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Ogrob's fantasy projects - Riders of Rohan - lots of pics 28/7
« Reply #630 on: July 27, 2022, 11:41:31 PM »
I think they’re very well done,spot on :-*
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #631 on: July 28, 2022, 12:22:42 AM »
I think they look great and will fit right in with the rest of your excellent Rohan army! I like your line of thinking about how these fit into the army as trained part-time warriors. In most places those would make up the bulk of the foot soldiers, but in Rohan it makes sense that they would be ‘medium’ cavalry. Nice work all around!

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
« Reply #632 on: July 28, 2022, 01:10:57 AM »
They look great! A really dynamic feel to them!

And those new tufts work really well too!

Offline Little Odo

• Mastermind
    • Little Odo's Grand Days Out
« Reply #633 on: July 28, 2022, 07:00:29 AM »
Those riders are excellent stand-ins - how do they scale with the GW Riders of Rohan? Your paint jobs really make them look like a trained and drilled militia as opposed to the hearthguard professionals. Excellent work.
Little Odo's Grand Days Out
http://littleodo.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #634 on: July 28, 2022, 09:05:01 AM »
Thank you!

Little Odo, not entirely sure unfortunately. I have not had any GW Riders for a long time. I imagine that they are a bit bigger, especially the horses. The minis I get for this project tend to be bang on 28mm to the eyes, and LotR of course is slightly smaller than that. If you 3D print yourself you can scale them of course, or perhaps even ask a seller if they can scale them down a touch for you.

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #635 on: July 28, 2022, 05:41:07 PM »
Cracking on, I've built another four hearthguard. Looking at the lists I am most like to play first, Horde and Normans, hearthguard without javelins is going to be my priority first. Probably four more once these four are done. For Horde I also have the option of Warriors with mounts and composite bows, so I may have to give some thought to making some archers....

Anyway, four hearthguard with mounts. Used plastic cloaks for these, might go with that for the rest as well. Sculpting has pros and cons, but a big con is certainly the time it takes. The leftmost cloak is from Wargames Atlantic irish kit, I both like and dislike it - it drapes beautifully over any shield arm, but is so very thick that it looks a tad unrealistic.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2022, 05:42:44 PM by Ogrob »

Offline Belgian

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Wargame News and Terrain
Looks a bit too large for the model but still good enough in my opinion. Might be good as a base for some greenstuff where you use the cape but slightly resculpt the part covering the chest and shoulders. Great conversions though.
Wargame News and Terrain Blog, daily updated with the latest wargame news

Interested click https://wargameterrain.blogspot.com/

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
Re: Ogrob's fantasy projects - Riders painted pg 42, new Knights built pg 43
« Reply #637 on: August 02, 2022, 12:42:36 PM »
I did not originally have any plans for mounted archers in the Rohan project, but I was asked on Instagram about suitable models and it got my gears whirring a little bit. It also occured to me that the Horde list for SAGA Age of Magic has no javelin troops, but does allow Warriors to be mounted with composite bows, so it might be fun to have that option.

I did up a trial model using Oathmark human cavalry as base, with Victrix dark age archer arms and head. With the first model coming out quite well, I decided to built another two and see how I feel about them. I think in the end they look quite good and should blend decently with the other figures in the project.

What do you think?

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
Re: Ogrob's fantasy projects - Rohirrim with bows 02/08
« Reply #638 on: August 02, 2022, 07:35:27 PM »
Those 3 horse archers look great

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #639 on: August 02, 2022, 07:48:08 PM »
I think they look quite good. Using the (very lively) Oathmark horses for mounted archer/ light horse units seems like a great way to get some mileage out of that set.

Just curious- how difficult was it to get the Victrix bow arms to work with the Oathmark riders? The poses you came up with look quite natural.

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #640 on: August 02, 2022, 07:52:38 PM »
I think they look quite good. Using the (very lively) Oathmark horses for mounted archer/ light horse units seems like a great way to get some mileage out of that set.

Just curious- how difficult was it to get the Victrix bow arms to work with the Oathmark riders? The poses you came up with look quite natural.

Thank you. They were not to bad really, especially if you select the arms that are full length. There are some combinations possible that do not require greenstuff at all, but most will need some as many victrix arms do not connect at the shoulder but rather at a sleeve or elbow joint. The aiming pose is going to need greenstuff for the right upper arm, but it was a simple job to glue and pose it first, and then sculpt the arm in once the glue is dry.

Another method would be to just cut the hands off Oathmark arms and replace them with Victrix hands. You could get the same aiming poses with slightly bulkier sleeves and no greenstuff needed.

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #641 on: August 05, 2022, 12:12:35 PM »
A small update for today, finished to character figures that I have been working on. Minis are Footsore's Aethelflaed and an Oathmark human spellcaster. I swapped both horses from some resin V&V horses.

The Shieldmaiden I imagine as a leader, perhaps the Lady to my Warlord. She might even be the true military mind behind this force. Not sure what I am using her for in game, but I love the mini and it fits well here.

The Spellcaster is a must for SAGA Age of Magic, but I feel like Tolkien never mentions lesser wizards or humans who know magic spells, does he? Anyone better versed in lore than me?

What do you think?

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
Re: Ogrob's fantasy projects - Shieldmaiden and Sorceress 5/8
« Reply #642 on: August 05, 2022, 01:16:22 PM »
It seems the small update turns into a big update as I found some more hobby mojo today. Managed to finish the four Hearthguard posted earlier and finished sculpting cloaks on my Riders with bows. Also took a shot of the whole force so far.

First of the hearthguard, or Knights of the Mark as I am fond of calling them. As you can see I have been going overboard with tufts. Massive credit to Serious Play Scenics for their lovely diorama tufts.

And then we have the mounted archers. In the end I am really quite happy with the oathmark bodies and horses, they work better than I had originally anticipated. Sculpting the cloaks was a bit of a job though.

And finally, here is what i have painted for far:

In theory this is 9.5 points for SAGA, but I have not been super focused at list building and I need to finish a few bits and pieces to have playable lists for all the factions I want to run,

What do you think?

Offline Olsson

• Librarian
Re: Ogrob's fantasy projects - Lots of Rohirrim 5/8
« Reply #643 on: August 05, 2022, 02:11:48 PM »
A fine force you're collecting, the Rohirrim are looking fierce. I always enjoy seeing people approaching the world of Middle-Earth in the more Dark Ages spirit that the written works put it as, much as I do like some of the GW products. It always creates something unique to the person, and I'd say you've managed it here very well! Sculpting all those cloaks must have been a hassle indeed.

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Ogrob's fantasy projects - Lots of Rohirrim 5/8
« Reply #644 on: August 05, 2022, 02:53:41 PM »
That looks great! I have never played a cavalry-heavy force like the Rohirrim and I will be interested to hear about your experiences once this army has a few battles. (I think the cloaks are worth the effort - they look convincing)