Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:51:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Tudorish Town (Three Dormer Window Roof FINISHED!)  (Read 6281 times)

Offline Coronasan

• Scientist
Tudorish Town (Three Dormer Window Roof FINISHED!)
« on: September 09, 2020, 06:34:12 PM »
Some time ago in the days when we could still go to wargames shows and buy stuff, I bought a rather great cobblestone mat from Deep Cut Studio.

Now all I needed was a few buildings to put on it. I could have gone off and bought some, but I decided that would be too easy and I wanted a project, because lets face it, we all need a project or ten to keep us busy.

Over the last couple of years, I have been learning how to use a rather dodgy Chinese CAD package for laser cutting and working out what it can and can't do. It really is very basic, but through trial and plenty of error, I can get it to do what I want, just about...

Cobbled streets need Tudor style buildings so I started a simple design to see what I could do, the first prototype was okay but need a lot more work to make it half decent.

I slapped some paint on to get an idea of what needed to be improved, quite a bit really, but that is what a test is for...

The next version had thinner beams and a more irregular beam design, a huge improvement I think.

I have ended up with a few designs based on this first basic structure which are okay for my first attempt.

My next design is a square building with a few options allowing several different looking buildings to be created from the core design.

There are a few others in the design an prototype stage and I hope to have enough to fill the cobble mat one day.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 03:11:04 PM by Coronasan »
So much to do, so little time...

Offline PhilB

• Scientist
    • A Dragontooth Grognard
Re: Just another Tudorish town
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2020, 07:22:30 PM »
Looks good! The modular design seems to be just the thing.
The "irregular" beam layout seems... a bit too irregular. I'm sure the finished buildings will look fine, though.

Offline khartoum2

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2020, 11:55:53 AM »
look great - really interested to see how this goes

Offline Coronasan

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2020, 12:45:34 PM »
I have been on a building binge over the last couple of weeks, quite a few of the Tudor style houses are coming along.

I have used a nice mustard colour again on this one.

...and then a dark brown for the beams, which I still need to highlight before gluing it all together.

Offline Coronasan

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2020, 07:25:29 PM »
I now have each of the floors built.

These are square buildings so each floor and the roof can be rotated 90 degrees.

I try to avoid a flat and plain surface so added some extra beams under the roof eaves.

Offline caveadsum1471

• Bookworm
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2020, 09:52:45 AM »
 Very impressive build with your own laser cutter and cad work! Could I suggest an inexpensive book called Discovering timber framed buildings  by Richard Harris and printed I think by Shire? Its a really excellent and comprehensive little book with lots of useful detail that I think might be helpful for you.
Best Iain

Offline Coronasan

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2020, 10:57:20 AM »
Another Tudorish building is finished, this is a test spire roof that was not easy to make. I ended up having to use matchsticks on the inside to get a join alongside the edges.

I did quite a light drybrushing of red over a black undercoat, I am pleased with how it came out.

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
    • Vagabond's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2020, 12:33:59 PM »
Very impressive, you are right the red over black has come out nicely.

The windows look particularly good.

Offline Coronasan

• Scientist
Re: Tudorish Town (Dice Tower)
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2020, 09:56:36 PM »
The latest work in progress addition to my expanding Tudorish town is a dice tower.

As it is in sections, it can get pretty high.

I have some fixes to do, but I should be able to paint this version up anyway as none of the fixes are that big a deal.

I am adding barn style doors to where the dice come out so it will hide the dice exit point if necessary.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2020, 10:01:52 PM by Coronasan »

Offline Coronasan

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2020, 07:19:42 AM »
Thee are a few minor changes needed to the outer detail, but this is almost done.

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2020, 05:48:02 AM »
I think that's a good idea- I should probably make one for our ECW games.

Offline Coronasan

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2020, 11:51:11 AM »
Could I suggest an inexpensive book called Discovering timber framed buildings  by Richard Harris and printed I think by Shire? Its a really excellent and comprehensive little book with lots of useful detail that I think might be helpful for you.
Best Iain
Thanks Iain, I got that book off a used book website for a couple of quid. It goes into plenty of detail, but I will have a go at a design that more closely follows period design.

Offline Melnibonean

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Boiled Beans
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2020, 01:41:03 AM »
That's going to look great and help to keep your table tidy too!
Below is a link to my blog. It's the place where I write uninteresting things about little toy soldiers. I do this because I refuse to grow up and behave like an adult.

http://this28mmlife.blogspot.com.au/

Offline Coronasan

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2020, 03:46:47 PM »
You would think at the moment there would be time to finish projects off, why is it so hard to stay focused?

Even the cat is accusing me of being a lazy.

It has been slow going the last few weeks...

Offline Coronasan

• Scientist
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2020, 11:24:29 AM »
I needed to get a couple of bits recut for the dice tower, so have also started on another Tudorish design.

This will be something along the lines of a rich dudes town house.

To start with I have just mocked up the general ground level and what will be a balcony level, and I am trying out a new way of having the floors interlock.

I want to add stone effect etched mdf to the ground floor and have mostly half timber on the first floor and roof.