Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:19:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686497
  • Total Topics: 118103
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Early 16th Century village and English army (update Aug 22 w/ battle pics)  (Read 3473 times)

Offline Baron von Wreckedoften

• Mad Scientist
Re: Early 16th Century village and English army
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2021, 05:21:52 PM »
The mounted archers are a bit of a sore point as the FoG:R rule writers refuse to acknowledge them (in fact, getting them to look at Stuart's "Army Royal" orbat was a "Battle Royal" in itself!!!  Minifigs did have some, but bear in mind I'm using the previous range of 15mm figures, which were replaced by the current lot in the mid-1980s (along with all of the 15mm Minifigs ranges), despite being vastly superior in my view!

Have you tried the Alternative Armies/Altuos Renaissance range?  I believe that they were designed by the guy who originally did the Minifigs 2nd Generations figures (the 1st Generation being the original strips of 5/6 foot and 3 horse), and so are compatible.  It also looks like they have been adding to the range since I last visited their website, as I don't recall there being anywhere near so many Landsknecht figures.  Unfortunately, despite being listed as "early 16th Century" the English figures are almost all from the 1540s, when the Henrician army was really (REALLY) crappy.

MRC01, 02 and 03 look like they would give you what you want, being a Burgundian M-A-A, a Mounted Longbowman, and a Coustillier.  I've linked to the archer below - see what you think:

https://www.alternative-armies.com/collections/15mm-renaissance-altuos-range/products/mrc2-burgundian-mtd-longbowman-15thc
No plan survives first contact with the dice.

Offline TheBlackCrane

• Mad Scientist
    • Tales of the Black Crane
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2021, 06:06:46 PM »
These look brilliant, both the army and the village - where do the buildings come from?

Khurusan's figures are great, I'm really tempted by the Early C16th range - but I have a lot of the Late C16th range for the English vs the Spanish (and/or Irish) so need to focus on one thing at a time.

How do you find the lances/polearms on the Khursan figures? It's the only issue I'd have with them, that they can be so soft and flexible, so most get replaced with steel wire if they're not cast in.

The Henrican army is looking more and more interesting though - any books you'd recommend?

Offline Ockius

• Scientist
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2021, 01:36:30 PM »
The mounted archers are a bit of a sore point as the FoG:R rule writers refuse to acknowledge them (in fact, getting them to look at Stuart's "Army Royal" orbat was a "Battle Royal" in itself!!!  Minifigs did have some, but bear in mind I'm using the previous range of 15mm figures, which were replaced by the current lot in the mid-1980s (along with all of the 15mm Minifigs ranges), despite being vastly superior in my view!

Have you tried the Alternative Armies/Altuos Renaissance range?  I believe that they were designed by the guy who originally did the Minifigs 2nd Generations figures (the 1st Generation being the original strips of 5/6 foot and 3 horse), and so are compatible.  It also looks like they have been adding to the range since I last visited their website, as I don't recall there being anywhere near so many Landsknecht figures.  Unfortunately, despite being listed as "early 16th Century" the English figures are almost all from the 1540s, when the Henrician army was really (REALLY) crappy.

MRC01, 02 and 03 look like they would give you what you want, being a Burgundian M-A-A, a Mounted Longbowman, and a Coustillier.  I've linked to the archer below - see what you think:

https://www.alternative-armies.com/collections/15mm-renaissance-altuos-range/products/mrc2-burgundian-mtd-longbowman-15thc

Yes, I think that Altuos figure will be the best option - I had seen him but didn’t like his beard! I’ve also just had a look and they have one in their medieval range too, with a padded aketon on, which may not be totally fitting period-wise but I definitely want a couple of variants.

I have a few by AA - they are more old school and less detailed, but I like them. I’ve got their billmen, whose coat fits the early Tudor period well, and a few of the Border Horseman and the early period gun crew. Agreed about the other models not being right though for early 16th century! I’ve steered clear of their pikeman and arquebusiers for that reason.
My armies:
- Henry VIII's army (WIP) 15mm
- Ancient Germans (28mm)
- Ancient Belgae (Gauls with German allies) (28mm)
- Massilian Greeks (Greeks and Gallic mercenaries/subjects) (28mm)
- A few EI Romans (28mm)
- Handful of WW2 British (15mm)
- A load of old 1993-1999ish Warhammer Orcs and Goblins

Offline Ockius

• Scientist
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2021, 01:52:33 PM »
These look brilliant, both the army and the village - where do the buildings come from?

Khurusan's figures are great, I'm really tempted by the Early C16th range - but I have a lot of the Late C16th range for the English vs the Spanish (and/or Irish) so need to focus on one thing at a time.

How do you find the lances/polearms on the Khursan figures? It's the only issue I'd have with them, that they can be so soft and flexible, so most get replaced with steel wire if they're not cast in.

The Henrican army is looking more and more interesting though - any books you'd recommend?

Thanks  :D
For books, the Osprey one on Henry VIII’s army is a good starting point, with great colour plates. Then I think these old George Gush articles are useful too http://warfare.gq/Renaissance/RenaissanceWarfare-AirfixMagazineArticles.htm.

On top of that, I read Charles Oman’s Art of War in the 16th Century. It’s old fashioned, a little pompous and I think outdated in some ways but I enjoyed it.

The buildings are from various places, a little summary:
- Peter Pig do two great timbered houses. Best quality of all the ones I own. At the small end of 15mm though. My church is also by them - listed as a Normandy church, but the closest fit I thought in 15mm to a convincing English church.
- Magister Militum have a wide range, some at the small end of 15mm, and some not. They mix fine for wargames use but would look off for a scale diorama type use.
- QRF do some cheap and cheerful ones - the least good quality, but also far the cheapest and have a good selection.
- Total Battle Miniatures - I have one stone barn from them which I really like.

Offline Ockius

• Scientist
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2021, 02:10:08 PM »
In case anyone wanted to see the scenery and army in use, me and a couple of mates fought our second Renaissance big battle - France invading south-east England, pushing to reach London.

We’ve been using Pike and Shotte, which is fast and fun.

1. Deployment. English defending the church on the left side and their camp also on the left.
2. English left flank with Manor House.
3. The French right.
4. The village on the right centre of English flank.
5. Late game impact as French gendarmes charge in.
6. Late game - French pikes ready to attack the hill in the face of mass longbow fire.
7. Early on the English border horse made a dash across the hill to attack the French guns - it went well initially but they found themselves surrounded by missile units and were all routed after taking out some French artillery and light horse.

Offline Friends of General Haig

• Mad Scientist
    • My Blog:
Great board and set up - I like background boards.  Fun looking game to boot 👍

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
Wow! Eye-candy  :-* :-* :-*

Offline Ockius

• Scientist
Thanks for the comments  :)

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer