Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 07:55:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690602
  • Total Topics: 118339
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Re: Building a Wild West Town - One last time (update 12/09/23)  (Read 19068 times)

Offline terrement

• Librarian
Does anyone have an actual map of the original Magnificent Seven town?  I've tried to piece one together from different scenes, but didn't know if anyone had an actual map

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
I thought someone on LAF did one a while ago.

Offline tinned fruit

• Bookworm
For those not on Social Media here's some photos of the individual buildings.

Thanks for looking.

Phil

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Re: Building a Wild West Town - More photos of San Miguel (update 07/03/22)
« Reply #64 on: March 07, 2022, 11:12:08 AM »
Excellent work. They look just as good if not better up close :)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
    • Vagabond's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #65 on: March 07, 2022, 07:18:16 PM »
Your San Miguel buildings look really good, you've managed to get a very believable texture on the adobe with a similarly believable colour.

You mentioned earlier in the thread that you usually have lift off roofs, I can see that the trap doors might be handles to lift them out but I can't see a gap arround  the edge are these fixed roofs or lift off ones. If the later you've done a brilliant job of disguising the edge.

The structures that look like domed bread ovens, are they water wells with a door on, I've not come across this type before.
Cheers

Offline terrement

• Librarian
« Reply #66 on: March 07, 2022, 08:43:26 PM »
The structures that look like domed bread ovens

Might be just that for cooking tortillas.  Common for flatbreads in the middle east.  Found pics in search for "adobe ovens" and "cob ovens" but couldn't get pics to show with the link

Thanks for the links to the map for the village., and the post has great pics from the flick.

In the pics, I think it is a corn crib that Calvera and his men are riding past - easily done with stained matchsticks cut to length.  Nearby there are many examples of what looks like vegetation tied up in pyramid shape

The grouping and location suggests that isn't where they grew.  Anyone know if that's how they dried corn on the stalk before harvesting the cobs?

Tinned Fruit - thanks for the close-ups of the individual buildings.  Great pictures.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2022, 08:51:14 PM by terrement »

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #67 on: March 08, 2022, 03:43:55 AM »
Those are definitely bread ovens.  When I was a docent at Sutter's Fort in Sacramento, California many years ago I worked on one of those ovens baking bread - while kids churned butter.  You can bet we were the most popular attraction in the fort when the bread came out of the oven and cooled down enough to serve.  Since the bread was 'period' it was okay but I'd choose something more palatable if I had my choice.  Indian fry bread is better - and on rare occasions you can get it fresh at Indian Grinding Rock state park an hour or so away from the fort into the foothills of the Sierra Nevada range.  Just watch out for the rattle snakes!  In the same area are several Gold Rush era towns - sometimes a little touristy but still cool little places to explore.  Not sure how much others realize California was a center of the Old West but it sure was - it, along with Oregon, were the primary destinations of most people traveling west in the early period (1840 - 1870 or so).  The famous Cow Towns came later.

Agree that the coloration of your models is right on. 

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #68 on: March 08, 2022, 07:48:05 AM »
Lovely builds  :)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
« Reply #69 on: March 08, 2022, 05:45:19 PM »
Those are definitely bread ovens.

That's what I thought at first but they have wooden doors and I would have thought an oven with a high temperature fire inside wouldn't have a wooden door. All the clay ovens I've come across have an opening rather than wooden door.
I'm in Spain at the moment and there are still a lot of wells or Fonts in the mountains and they are all covered to a greater or lesser extent to keep rubbish out of the water which is why I asked the question.

They look good whatever they are supposed to be.

Offline tinned fruit

• Bookworm
« Reply #70 on: March 08, 2022, 09:52:40 PM »
Thanks for all the kind words.

I blatantly stole the idea from Nick (Malamute) and am reliably informed they are Horno ovens. I added wooden doors to keep the critters out plus I like the look - I'm not great for functionality. If t looks good to me it's in!

The roofs are removable and the roof access are for ease of taking them out. Usually I don't bother with stuff on the roof as it impedes figure placement. I just use cut down roof supports whch allow the roof to pop up if you press your finger in the right place. The roofs are custom cut from 3mm mdf after the buildng is finshed  to get a good fit and I think the angle of the photo helps deceive the eye.

Hope that helps though I doubt it does!

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
« Reply #71 on: March 08, 2022, 10:27:10 PM »
Thanks for the answers,  after I asked about your roofs I found some older pictures you'd posted and the join was visible but still looked good.
I've done this myself in the past but my join was pretty poor....I  must do better next time.

Cheers

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #72 on: March 09, 2022, 01:16:38 AM »
Just a bit more on the ovens and their doors.  We burned down the fuel (wood) to charcoal and then heated the bread over the coals so the doors are their to keep the heat in once the cooking starts - so the doors are entirely functional and historical. 

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #73 on: March 09, 2022, 07:13:28 AM »
I would have gone with pizza oven but given the current fad of the witless, middle-brow and middle-class is making their own sourdough, a bread oven is a sign of the times. :D

Lovely builds but if you are in any way anal about such things, they probably won’t stretch to Central America or the Caribbean. The propensity in such climes to occasionally heavy rainfall means that flat roofs aren’t the most sensible option. More pantiling required.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline tinned fruit

• Bookworm
« Reply #74 on: March 11, 2022, 09:01:36 AM »
Mine - all mine! Got these track and cart pieces from Ainsty Castings

They are lovely and will be the centre piece of the mine entrance. Not looking forward to the mess that carving up this foam is going to cause.

I have got a couple of islands on order from Amera Mouldings as an alternative. I used some of these for hills a while back and was very pleased with the look. The ones below are from their "Islands and Landscapes" range though the ones I've bought are a smaller footprint.

So far I'm pleased with the project which is made from things I already had in the house apart from £5 on mdf stairs, £7.50 on the Ainsty track and £9 on the hills.

Thanks for looking.

Phil

« Last Edit: March 11, 2022, 10:12:57 AM by tinned fruit »