Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 07:15:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: French Revolution *10e Hussards*  (Read 23226 times)

Offline SgtPerry

• Mad Scientist
    • Perry's Heroes
French Revolution *10e Hussards*
« on: October 05, 2009, 03:11:13 PM »
I began a new project, skirmish fights & adventures during the French Revolution. I hope that it looks like swashbuckling adventures rather than Napoleonic ones.

The first figures are from the 109e Regiment de Ligne (formally Royal Regiment de Martinique-Guadeloupe).

http://perrysheroes.free.fr/spip.php?article244

Olivier
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 07:15:30 AM by SgtPerry »

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
Re: French Revolution
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 03:40:41 PM »
Nice start  :)
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 04:03:55 PM »
Nicely done! I am working on a similar project using the Eureka figures. I just finished basing and adding flags to my first units (20 French and 24 "German" Austrians) over the weekend. I'm about half-way through 20 more French in the ragged uniforms right now.

Offline cdr

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2009, 05:01:18 PM »
Lovely
I'm always planning to do some French royalists. I'm a great fan of Mirabeau Tonneau. If you use ' God, the king, wine and women ' on your flags you're doing alright.

Offline Galloping Major

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • www.gallopingmajorwargames.com
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2009, 07:15:34 PM »
Plenty of opportunity for set piece skirmishes, rescues etc involvong the Scarlet Pimpernel and his cohorts I would think  8) 8)

Offline Alcide Nikopol

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2009, 03:04:16 AM »
Quite well done. These are some wonderful miniatures and sounds to be smashing fun.

My question though is a slightly off topic, could you please tell me what the game mats are that these miniatures are placed on?

Thank-you,
A.Nik-

Offline SgtPerry

• Mad Scientist
    • Perry's Heroes
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2009, 08:22:52 AM »
it's an old (very old ) Faller mat (0,70 m x 1,00 m) that I use only for taking photographs.

Offline Leapsnbounds

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2009, 03:16:17 AM »
 Once again I am truly inspired.  The unit is fantastic and has revived my old ambition of recruiting a small Demi-Brigade from the Army of the Orient to invade India.  I have a large collection of Redoubt's "Wellington in India" Range.  I have always wanted to add a small French Unit to the native Princes for "stiffening" to take on the British.  But alas, I have never been able to find French Revolution figures that are in scale with these.  I am very fond of the Redoubt Figures, I think they are the best wargame figures ever ( and I have many)  Can anybody steer me in the right direction to find suitable miniatures.  I do have many of the Alternate Armies Elves for French Officers, but units of them just look too cartoonish when compared to the Redoubts.  I have added some of the Reaper Scottish Highlanders that they had years ago as a Renegade Officer, but that is only one or two figures.  Can anyone help?

warbeads

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2009, 11:54:54 AM »
Not my period but now I am curious. 

We have the English/Aristo hero in the the Scarlet Pimpernel but are there any works where the Revolutionary side gets their day in the sun?  In English?  French (which I don't read) perhaps?  Other?

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2009, 12:56:27 PM »
Tres joli Olivier  :)
And definitely swashbuckling adventures, not boring old Napoleonics!  ;)

I've often thought about gaming the adventures of The Scarlet Pimpernel, so I'll be following your progress with great enthusiasm!

En avant!

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2009, 01:17:32 PM »
Tres joli Olivier  :)
And definitely swashbuckling adventures, not boring old Napoleonics!  ;)

I've often thought about gaming the adventures of The Scarlet Pimpernel, so I'll be following your progress with great enthusiasm!

En avant!

But in the LAF world Nappies *are* Swashbuckling, correct? (I've asked this elsewhere but so far everyone has been ignoring me in cruel, sophisticated way.  :'( )

Offline SgtPerry

• Mad Scientist
    • Perry's Heroes
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2009, 04:01:27 PM »
Here's a group of Vendéens fighters led by noblemen

http://perrysheroes.free.fr/spip.php?article245

Olivier

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2009, 08:02:35 PM »
But in the LAF world Nappies *are* Swashbuckling, correct? (I've asked this elsewhere but so far everyone has been ignoring me in cruel, sophisticated way.  :'( )

I don't imagine anybody is ignoring you, Hammers.  I suspect nobody knows the answer.  Whoever set up this part of the forum must have thought of pirates and three musketeers as being the core of the topic.  And virtually all of the threads feature skirmish level or role playing level games.  Over here on the Pacific coast of North America the term "Napoleonics" normally refers to massive battles using 6mm, 10mm, or 15mm figures with the basic maneuver units being battalions, regiments, or brigades.  There's thousands of figures on the table sometimes.  I don't think most people on LAF are interested in that kind of thing, and there's no specific part of the forum devoted to that level of mass battle for any period.

There has been some interest in 28mm skirmish level games using Sharpe Practice for the types of small unit clashes in the Sharpe novels by Bernard Cornwell.  That falls within the swashbuckling topic on LAF, at least from my point of view.
Sailors have more fun!

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2009, 07:37:16 AM »
I don't imagine anybody is ignoring you, Hammers. 

No worry, I meant that jokingly. It is more of a practical, moderator issue to me since I privately don't do Napoleonics at all. I'd like to know so I know where I can dump a post I don't want in Workbench (*he says, pinching his nose and holding the offending post between the tips of his thumb and index finger*).

Offline SgtPerry

• Mad Scientist
    • Perry's Heroes
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2009, 03:51:00 PM »
I painted some minis from foundry as chasseurs of the 19e regiment in 1793. The regiment was part of the Army of the coasts of La Rochelle and was involved during the civil war in Vendée.

http://perrysheroes.free.fr/spip.php?article248

These Chasseurs are under command of 2nd Lieutenant Follot. I found an interesting story about 'him'.

The Maréchal des Logis (sergeant) Jean Baptiste Follot was promoted 2nd Lieutenant on june 10th, 1793. He was promoted to 1st Lieutenant on the battlefield after a brave behaviour during the Vendée campaign. On 1795, while the 1st squadron of the regiment was in Trier (germany) a report indicated that the Lieutenant Follot of 2nd company, 1st squadron was in fact a woman. She was later in Koblenz then wounded in Modena (Italy) in june 1800.

Olivier
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 07:06:24 AM by SgtPerry »