Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:46:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686665
  • Total Topics: 118120
  • Online Today: 817
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Dark Future, Gaslands & Zona Alpha  (Read 7852 times)

Offline diehard

• Mad Scientist
Dark Future, Gaslands & Zona Alpha
« on: April 15, 2022, 07:47:50 PM »
Now retired with both cataracts repaired I could finally return to my long time hobby, painting and gaming. I decided to cull my collection down to my Mythos stuff, all my Dark Future stuff (both of which I have a  lot of), my scenery collection and Zombicide as I have some non gamers who like it that I'm hoping to convert.

This also led me back to LAF, the best place on the net for our hobbies. Now the first thing I did after being able to paint again was do up my entire Strange Aeons collection and some associated Mythos stuff. But after a bit of reading on the PA threads brought to my attention Gaslands and Zona Alfa. (ZA because I was a big Necromunda fan way back.)

Now I have just about everything for Dark Future, two of the boxed games, the White Line Fever Supplement, a box of Battle Cars, pretty much duplicates of all the miniatures (with many bikes and trikes) and every White Dwarf with a related article. And then proceeded to never even play the game as I could never find anyone to play with. But I loved the scale and even bought a number of die cast cars to convert.
Which leads me to my question, how does DF stack up to Gaslands rule wise? I'm thinking of a PA set up involving elements of driving and skirmish combat. I love the scale which opens up to a lot of available terrain options already available out there. I could probably make a bit of cash getting rid of my DF stuff but I kept it all these years cause I really always liked it and always hoped to do something with it. So if anyone is familiar with both DF and Gaslands I'd really be interested in hearing your opinions about both plus any observations about ZA or the like at the 20mm scale (or any similar game I may be unaware of.) Thanks for taking the time to read all this nonetheless, I appreciate the consideration.
We haul ours to kick theirs.

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
    • Wyrd Stones and Tackle Zones
Re: Dark Future, Gaslands & Zona Alpha
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2022, 12:45:09 PM »
I’m also another fan of the Dark Future line who has drug those minis into modern rulesets Gaslands and Zona Alpha.

I have a log of my efforts and thoughts here that you might enjoy:
https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=129236.0
« Last Edit: April 17, 2022, 12:48:41 PM by Jack Hooligan »

Offline diehard

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2022, 09:01:45 PM »
Hi Jack, thanks for the link to your most interesting and impressive thread. I also went though your blog too, some really cool stuff there. Your PA project is pretty similar to what I had in mind, a sort of Dark Future/Necromunda Mashup. I too really dug the DF 20mm and as I start to focus in on finishing up the projects I want and culling the rest (probably to reinvest in scenery) I decided that I was finally going to do something with them. There's also the bonus of all the 1/72 scenery available. How are the Gaslands rules as opposed to the DF ones? And are you still playing your mash up rules or have you moved on. You did some great work on the factions and the vehicles, very inspiring. Thanks for that too.

Offline Cat

• Mastermind
  • All Purpose Neko-Sensei
    • Goblinhall
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2022, 09:14:29 PM »
I too enjoyed Dark Future.  Way back when, I had made Car Wars style turning widgets to be able to take the game off road.  It's been too long since I've played to compare it to any the more recent offerings.  Game design in general has gotten more streamlined since then.

Of the other current game, you might also want to take a look at Maximillian 1934.  I greatly prefer the turning widget in that over the X-Wing style movement templates of Gaslands.  Max34 has been working great for running Wacky Max 1968 with 1/72 Wacky Races minis.
: 3

Offline metalface13

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2022, 12:56:40 PM »
I’m also another fan of the Dark Future line who has drug those minis into modern rulesets Gaslands and Zona Alpha.

I have a log of my efforts and thoughts here that you might enjoy:
https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=129236.0

You've found your kindred spirit!

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2022, 12:52:40 PM »
Hi Jack, thanks for the link to your most interesting and impressive thread. I also went though your blog too, some really cool stuff there. Your PA project is pretty similar to what I had in mind, a sort of Dark Future/Necromunda Mashup. I too really dug the DF 20mm and as I start to focus in on finishing up the projects I want and culling the rest (probably to reinvest in scenery) I decided that I was finally going to do something with them. There's also the bonus of all the 1/72 scenery available. How are the Gaslands rules as opposed to the DF ones? And are you still playing your mash up rules or have you moved on. You did some great work on the factions and the vehicles, very inspiring. Thanks for that too.

Hey Diehard, to be honest, I have yet to play a game of Gaslands! my current game group is enchanted with Blood Bowl, so it's been a steady diet of fantasy football since the covid restrictions have lifted. That said, I personally enjoy the DF rules for the gonzo die rolling charts and results (I have played plenty of DF, but last game was probably 15 years ago now), but from watching videos and reading the rules, I think Gaslands is going to go down better with modern gamers. Though I haven't played, I'm not discouraged at all. I'm a patient man. I know i'll get some games in this year, I have no doubt of that, and I'm looking forward to painting up some more of the gangs on foot (the ninjas and rockers) and can't wait to add the Northstar Punks to my Citadel Maniax crew.

EDIT: I recently found out that the upcoming Xeno Rampant from Opsrey (a sci-fi offshot of the Lion Rampant rules) is going to include Post Apoc units/rules. There's a very high chance I'll use these models for that too. I can see combining my cultist, aliens and robots into one faction vs like the police, scientist and thrill hunters. maybe the rockers and punks will team up too. Should be fun.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2022, 12:56:25 PM by Jack Hooligan »

Offline diehard

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2022, 11:53:53 PM »
Hey Jack, thanks for the thoughtful reply. Funny enough I recently ran into an old friend I used to game with and, since I parted with all my old stuff  just got the 2nd edition Blood Bowl last year when he expressed interest in playing it again. Finally painted up the original Norse team and the ogre Morg'n'thorg. Now to hopefully get some games in.

Although Gaslands sounds interesting going to probably stick with DF since it's what I know and already have everything for it. Will be picking up the Copplestone guys though, they look pretty sweet. Did you ever manage to complete your DF miniature collection? I know I need a couple yet but have duplicates of most. At least 2 full sets of all 12 Maniax poses plus extras of some of those. Will have to dig out the old White Dwarfs and see what I actually need yet. And finally thanks for the heads up on the Xenos Rampant info, like the sound of that so will probably hold off on Zona Alfa till I see what that looks like. But decided either way going to come up with a gang skirmish game with vehicles, these guys deserve it after all these years.

Offline diehard

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2022, 12:01:43 AM »
Oh, and I also checked out Greenlight Collectables, some really nice stuff there and good to know it's all in the correct scale. Can see me making some purchases from them in the future. Was nice that they used to give tou a weapons sprue in the DF blisters, I have quite a few of them at this point.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2022, 04:41:38 AM by diehard »

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2022, 12:11:45 AM »
Although Gaslands sounds interesting going to probably stick with DF since it's what I know and already have everything for it. Will be picking up the Copplestone guys though, they look pretty sweet. Did you ever manage to complete your DF miniature collection? I know I need a couple yet but have duplicates of most. At least 2 full sets of all 12 Maniax poses plus extras of some of those. Will have to dig out the old White Dwarfs and see what I actually need yet. And finally thanks for the heads up on the Xenos Rampant info, like the sound of that so will probably hold off on Zona Alfa till I see what that looks like. But decided either way going to come up with a gang skirmish game with vehicles, these guys deserve it after all these years.

Yeah, I've got high hopes for Xenos Rampant especially since it sounds like there will be vehicle rules included. I was looking forward to the ruleset for simple on-foot gang warfare, but I'm interested to see how vehicles are included. I'd think they won't account for the sort of white line fever that the Dark Future and Gaslands rules provide, but that's fine.
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2607474/article/37144232#37144232

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2022, 12:14:16 AM »
I haven't complete my Dark Future Citadel collection yet. Took a brief pause to get some new BB teams up and running. I agree though, it was nice for those car weapon sprues to be included in the DF blisters. I've got several myself. Still, I picked up both sprues of Implements of Carnage from Northstar. Lots of good stuff there too.

Set 1: https://www.northstarfigures.com/prod.php?prod=14058
Set 2: https://www.northstarfigures.com/prod.php?prod=15815

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2022, 11:44:32 PM »
Hey Jack, thanks for the thoughtful reply. Funny enough I recently ran into an old friend I used to game with and, since I parted with all my old stuff  just got the 2nd edition Blood Bowl last year when he expressed interest in playing it again. Finally painted up the original Norse team and the ogre Morg'n'thorg. Now to hopefully get some games in.

Well, if you come up to play Dracula's America, we can trade Dark Future minis too! You are hitting all my favorite games! I've got a few DF to swap, and I'll second the vote that Gaslands stuff is equally excellent.

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2022, 06:36:19 PM »
Well, if you come up to play Dracula's America, we can trade Dark Future minis too! You are hitting all my favorite games! I've got a few DF to swap, and I'll second the vote that Gaslands stuff is equally excellent.

Should we do a Citadel Dark Future trade thread? I don't wanna miss out!

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2022, 09:48:03 PM »
I still need a ton, so yes!

Offline diehard

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2022, 11:34:30 PM »
Hey guys, I would be down with trading some DF guys, I know I do need a couple yet (never was able to get that chainsaw warrior for one) and I also know that I definitely have duplicates of a number of figures, in fact am pretty sure there were only a couple I only have one of, and that includes bikes, trikes and drivers. I will dig them and the WD issues out and come up with a list of what I have and what I need.

Offline diehard

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2022, 11:41:42 PM »
And Lead Asbestos, what is your take on the DF rules as opposed to the Gaslands rules? I will still probably wait to see what the Zenos Rampant rules look before I make any decisions about rule sets, too bad they're not coming out till towards the end of the year but that gives me a lot of time to paint some stuff up. After all these years I still haven't done anything with my DF stuff. But I loved the whole Road Warrior vibe right from the start, and still do. And as Necromunda was a favorite of mine this could be the best of both worlds.