Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:39:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: [Kickstarter] Warzone returns as Warzone Eternal [relaunch in May]  (Read 3471 times)

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic

Warzone returns again! Tuesday May 17 the Kickstarter will launch for the latest incarnation of the game. And it's called Warzone Eternal.
In contrast to the last version (Warzone Resurrection) it goes back to its roots and will focus more on the old look and feel from the 90s, but created with modern tools (3D sculpted and printed in Siocast).

The game will begin small at first with about 8-12 models a size for a game. If the game does well enough it will expand and probably also go bigger for people who want bigger games. The Kickstarter will be relatively small, so don't expect any CMON stretch goal bonanza and tons of purchase options. They want to keep it simple and to the point so people can start playing the game and the company can expand from there.
During the Kickstarter the five Megacorporations can bought (Capitol, Bauhaus, Mishima, Imperial and Cybertronic), Algeroth for the Dark Legion and 1 Brotherhood advisor. An actual Brotherhood faction and the other Apostles will follow later...if the game successfully kickstarts.
The factions will first be released in boxes with 5 models that you can assemble as two types (for example: Hatamoto & Shinobi for Mishima) and come with lots of heads and weapons so you get a lot of choice!

The creator Res Nova is passionate about Mutant Chronicles and they went with the game because they love the IP. In several videos I saw Alex Kanous mention certain obscure troops or weapons from his memory, so the guy knows his stuff well. So it's not created by a big company who want to sell the IP and basically rip it apart, but someone who loves it and wants to play games with it.
The game system is created by game veteran Bryan Steele (creator of Dark Age, did Warmachine and several RPGs and I am probably missing some stuff) and he has talked a lot about the game design. It all sounds great! And Bryan is also an oldschool Warzone fan, so he knows the IP well and from what I saw it reflects in the rules.

Here are some images that have been shown in social media by various painters:

Razide (comes with 3 weapon options: Nazgaroth, Ashnagaroth and Hellblaster

(Ashnagaroth)

(Nazgaroth)

(Hellblaster)

Cybertronic Mirrorman & Chasseur

Mishima Hatamoto & Shinobi

(render of the heads included in the set)

Necromutants & Centurion

(with Tormentor flamer)

Imperial Blood Berets & Golden Lion

Bauhaus Venusian Ranger

The Kickstarter link:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/resnova/warzone-eternal

And as you might have gathered from my post, I am very enthusiastic about this Kickstarter. Warzone/Mutant Chronicles is my favourite setting ever and I love the art, theme and games. And from what I read I think this may be the best incarnation yet. It stays true to what the Mutant Chronicles was and is, but has a modern feel to both the design and the rules. And that sounds so cool. So I really hope this project does very well and we get to have a fantastic Warzone game again!
« Last Edit: February 06, 2023, 12:10:22 PM by Malebolgia »
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
Re: [Kickstarter] Warzone returns May 17, as Warzone Eternal
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2022, 11:21:54 AM »
Right; I was never with it back in the day; Warzone always felt like 40K's anaemic cousin, and the game also never got any traction in the local community. But after painting a couple of the miniatures decades after, I was sort of nostalgically hooked.

I now have the 2nd ed starter box (with the 100 plastic Bauhaus and Imperial troopers), several squads of painted Capitol troopers (as DWAN corporate troops) and a couple of assorted painted single miniatures.

Because of the above reasons, I never actually have played the game, but because I've developed a strong affection for nineties chunky and colourful miniatures, this particular project really speaks to me as well.

I'll probably not pledge on impulse, but I'll mull this one over and I might well be temped after all this time...
« Last Edit: May 16, 2022, 11:26:31 AM by Daeothar »
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2022, 11:31:14 AM »
Cool. Love the Rapides. This may need a look in.

Offline swiftnick

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2022, 11:37:28 AM »
Good luck to them, but do we really need another round of rules and figures?
How about some rules agnostic campaign books or some buildings and vehicles?

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2022, 11:52:40 AM »
Good luck to them, but do we really need another round of rules and figures?
How about some rules agnostic campaign books or some buildings and vehicles?

Going by what I saw, you can buy the book in the Kickstarter and all stat cards will be available as downloads. So you don't need new miniatures if you want to play with your oldies. I will use the oldies too for sure, but I know I want at least the Cybertronic box, love those models.

Offline diehard

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2022, 03:30:34 PM »
As an old time gamer was intrigued by Warzone right from the beginning but as a modeler and painter first and foremost a little disappointed in the sculpts so never pulled the trigger on it but this small glance of the model line you've given us has me pretty impressed and will be following this with interest. Thanks for the heads up and best of luck on this new venture.
We haul ours to kick theirs.

Offline akanous

• Assistant
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2022, 12:27:35 AM »
Given that LAF is, and has been for a decade, my favorite hobby site on the 'net, seeing our project chatted about here has me beaming.  I hope folks will check us out, either on the Kickstarter or down the road.

swiftnick - I understand that sentiment and we're definitely trying to create a game that appeals to those who played Warzone "back in the day" and likely still have some models lying around.  But, at the same time, we're hoping to introduce a new generation of players to Warzone and so a readily available rulebook and miniatures are a necessity.

Offline pancakeonions

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2022, 01:22:42 AM »
Cool!

It looks like the scale will match the figures from the Mutant Chronicles boardgame, which is great, given that my game group has piles of these guys from that game...  (newer version)

Rather than the weird scale of the failed FFG version that came out several years ago. 

Any photos of these minis alongside those from the boardgame? 

Offline The Voivod

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2022, 05:51:27 AM »
Really nice...
Much as the latest incarnation had some really goodlooking mini's, over the time I've developed a weak spot of the older aesthetic.
Just so much more characther in those sculpts.
There's plenty of products for me still before I'll need new ones, but I do hope you'll succeed in this endeavor.
Maybe somewhere in the future my resolve will be not quite as strong
'Mercy? I am far to brave to grant you mercy.'

Online majorsmith

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2022, 08:47:15 AM »
That razide looks amazing!

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2022, 09:33:18 AM »
And the project is live! After ~18 hours it's almost funded, so it's going very well! I went in with a Skirmish pledge.
I read on Facebook that they will redo the main page to give a better idea of what you get with each box. The sculptor of the Mishima box (Nathan Coutanche) posted an image of the renders he created to show what comes in a box:

And Mike from Epic Duck Studios posted a freshly painted Free Marine (with the Southpaw Rocket Launcher)

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2022, 10:19:27 AM »
These look splendid.

But what I'm really interested in is how they compare to the original 1st and 2nd ed.  miniatures.

I'd like to insert some of the Capitol minis into my existing force, but for that to happen, they'd have to be at least marginally compatible...

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2022, 01:45:36 PM »
And alas, it has been canceled. Bit of a shame, but it makes sense. It started off a bit shaky and was missing good pictures, components, a battle report, quick play rules, etc. And I think the main complaint was that the miniatures weren't cheap. So it's probably best for Res Nova to take a step back and re-evaluate how to approach the launch better. I can't wait though, I really want to play Warzone Eternal. It sounded fantastic and the miniatures are up my alley.

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
Re: [Kickstarter] Warzone returns May 17, as Warzone Eternal [canceled]
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2022, 04:59:46 PM »
From their last update.....
.."But it's no closely guarded secret that Kickstarter funding goals rarely reflect the full total necessary to make a campaign a success.  It's a gamble that unfortunately has become a part of working through Kickstarter."....

ie; they deliberately set an unrealistic funding goal so they could make it look good and ride the wave of stretch goals to where they actually needed to be.
Then they basically told existing Warzone fans and players to "eff off" by refusing to release beta rules and stat cards for use with the models they already own.
Don't use our figures well you can't play our game then.

Seems to me they got what they deserved for the way they have approached this.

Offline NotifyGrout

• Librarian
  • Sub-Random, Cut-Up, Trident
Re: [Kickstarter] Warzone returns May 17, as Warzone Eternal [canceled]
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2022, 12:49:35 AM »
From their last update.....
.."But it's no closely guarded secret that Kickstarter funding goals rarely reflect the full total necessary to make a campaign a success.  It's a gamble that unfortunately has become a part of working through Kickstarter."....

ie; they deliberately set an unrealistic funding goal so they could make it look good and ride the wave of stretch goals to where they actually needed to be.
Then they basically told existing Warzone fans and players to "eff off" by refusing to release beta rules and stat cards for use with the models they already own.
Don't use our figures well you can't play our game then.

Seems to me they got what they deserved for the way they have approached this.

The way Kickstarters work, especially for tabletop games these days, if they don't grow steadily day over day starting from day one, they tend to sputter out and fail. If they make the goal too high, then it never gets funded anyway.

It's one reason I'm not a fan of Kickstarter, at least not for games. So much of it is based entirely on hype, rather than anything real.

They already said they weren't looking to do tons of stretch goals. They offered a couple because of the great start. I actually think they should use a different platform from Kickstarter, but KS has the most visibility.

They did not tell players today "eff off" about anything, and the reality of what happened is enough of a downer without you presenting what is, at best, a highly skewed opinion, and, at worst, untruth.

I'm really unhappy with some of the Warzone community right now. This was the first hobby-related thing I've been excited about in a long time, and you ultra-negative lot decided to sink it because it wasn't exactly what you wanted.
https://www.instagram.com/notify_grout/
Current projects: collecting way too many vintage Warzone models.