Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:24:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Hundred Years War WIP. Heraldry and Civic Pavise  (Read 11131 times)

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
Re: Hundred Years War WIP. Heraldry and Civic Pavise
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2022, 04:25:28 PM »
That is some really impressive freehand heraldry. They look great!

Offline Griefbringer

• Scientist
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2022, 05:28:11 PM »
Very impressive painted heraldry on those figures!

I also liked the idea of adding feathers from the cavalry set to the helmets of the dismounted men-at-arms. It makes them stand out a bit from the rest, so I think I might try that on some commander figures once I get back to assembling my plastics. However, since the join area is quite small, I am a bit concerned how well these parts will stick to the figure in real life handling - especially since they are quite long items sticking out on top - any experiences?

Offline Wiegraf

• Scientist
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2022, 07:35:09 PM »
I also liked the idea of adding feathers from the cavalry set to the helmets of the dismounted men-at-arms. It makes them stand out a bit from the rest, so I think I might try that on some commander figures once I get back to assembling my plastics. However, since the join area is quite small, I am a bit concerned how well these parts will stick to the figure in real life handling - especially since they are quite long items sticking out on top - any experiences?

Honestly, the plumes arent so bad. I am always way more worried about the weapons breaking than the plumes. Still want to be careful with both plumes and axe shafts! :)

Also, the cavalry set is a tad larger scale wise than their older plastic foot soldiers, so mixing the visors is a bit tough. For the plumes, some of the helmets on the infantrymen wont look as good as the cavalry, so you'll want to try and see which helmet from the foot knight box lines up best with the plumes.

Offline Wiegraf

• Scientist
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2022, 06:51:40 AM »
Hello again everyone. I finished the latest 6 Foot Knights.

Left to right: Jean de Bueil. d'auxy (pierre? John? I forget the name). Generic Green Dude.

Left to right: d'albret, John Stewart of Darnley (Scottish Commander).  Gilles de Rais.

I'm basically set to battle with foot knights anywhere from Agincourt up to the battle of Herrings. ;) I need to finish another two units of mounted Cavalry (more Knights, and sergeants) and then work on the batch of pavise men, crossbowmen, and mixed arm regular infantrymen.

I see a lot of people do circle bases for skirmish games, but I really like the old rank and file for anything that isn't totally in the colonial to modern era.

That's all for now! I'm working on my next Kickstarter and that requires me to do up a few odds and ends to show off some decals on shields, but after that I should be back to some more Cavalry, including Standards. I'm going to be using full on flags instead of the short banners they were carrying around in the era because they look a tad more epic in my opinion. Cheers!

Offline levied troop

• Mastermind
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2022, 06:57:13 AM »
That really is superb painting, alongside some very helpful posts.
The League of Gentlemen Anti Alchemists
(We Turn Gold into Lead)

Offline Little Odo

• Mastermind
    • Little Odo's Grand Days Out
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2022, 07:45:31 AM »
Impressive freehand on the liveries - superb!
Little Odo's Grand Days Out
http://littleodo.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2022, 09:18:41 AM »
Very Cool!
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline bluewillow

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Bluewillow- Matthew Williamson
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2022, 12:25:50 PM »
Lovely work on those

For your green chap add a d'or chevron and you have the family prévost.

Cheers
Matt
« Last Edit: June 13, 2022, 12:33:04 PM by bluewillow »

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2022, 04:56:28 PM »
Very nice foot knights.  :-* :-*

Offline Wiegraf

• Scientist
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2022, 08:09:36 PM »
Thanks everyone! Looking forward to getting on to the next lot of this project but I've got another decal Kickstarter I plan to launch again very soon. :) 

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2022, 06:30:22 AM »
This is freehand of the highest order!! just outstanding :-*
In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com

Offline Maniac

• Scientist
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2022, 12:36:18 AM »
Your heraldry work is simply stunning!  Very nice work with some super tiny check work.
On time, on target, or the next one's free

Offline Ockius

• Scientist
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2022, 10:03:28 AM »
These are lovely!
My armies:
- Henry VIII's army (WIP) 15mm
- Ancient Germans (28mm)
- Ancient Belgae (Gauls with German allies) (28mm)
- Massilian Greeks (Greeks and Gallic mercenaries/subjects) (28mm)
- A few EI Romans (28mm)
- Handful of WW2 British (15mm)
- A load of old 1993-1999ish Warhammer Orcs and Goblins

Offline Wiegraf

• Scientist
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2022, 01:23:09 AM »
Thanks for the kind and awesome comments everyone! I'm on to the next lot, and here's just the beginning.

On the left, I will have a banner bearer in a generically red with white cross overcoat. He'll be carrying Louis Comte de Vendome's banner.

Then on the right, I have a member of the La Fayette Family. He'll be in plate mail but his coat of a rms will be on a shield. I tried the design on his horse's bridle cloth but I am not sure on it yet.

In the middle, a generic knight quartered in Yellow and blue.

In the back middle, I'm going to do Viscount William II of Narbonne. He has a half shirt so I won't put heraldry on his tunic or body (apparently they were often just coloured plain or had some orange design, but oft didn't have heraldry) , but his shield will be the red and white quarters with trees. This guy is involved with some Aragonese / Sicilian issues in the southern part of France and that area I believe, but ends up dying in 1424 fighting the English.

On the right there in the back, Louis Comte de Vendome... his heraldry is going to be challenging to do at that scale, but I am going to attempt it.

After these are done then my Heavy Knightly Cavalry will be complete. I will still have 6 final horsemen to do, but they'll be generic sergeants and won't have such fancy looking heraldry.

For anyone interested in seeing more on this, I started doing VLOGS on my YouTube Channel as well - but since I like sharing here on the Lead Adventure Forum, I thought I'd do a write up on it as well.

https://youtu.be/Xa1pd5ldFxw

Today I also purchased some new toys... This shot is from North Star Military Figure's Facebook page and contains War-games Illustrated Giant's in Miniatures newest model: Harry Hotspur.

I think his get up fits in perfectly for the 1390s - 1420s, which is what I'm essentially going for.

I also decided to get John Hawkwood from War-games Illustrated's Giant of Miniatures line.

Now, if you look up these two individual's histories and art / statues of them, you'll easily find where the minis are modelled after. Hotspur dies in something like 1403, so his get up is fitting. But I noticed that John Hawkwood's career is going down earlier than the 1390s... yet, the sculptor of this figure designed him with quite heavy plate. From my understanding the agincourt level plate mail started coming out in the later part of the 14th century and eventually evolves into even better parts as the 15th century roles along, but I noticed something:

This art piece, which the model is clearly influenced by, come up around 1436 ( fresco by Paolo Uccello), and I think for the 1430s the armor is very fitting - but would John Hawkwood, running around in Italy and France, be wearing this sort of gear? Often you see art done by an artist in a late period an their art ends up being anachronistic because they give, lets say, the Romans Full medieval plate or something of their era. I'm of the opinion his fresco here has been represented using more 15th century partial armor instead of the transitional armor going around in the mid 1300s... although, benefiting me of course, is that since it appears to be much closer to the era I'm actually gaming, he looks much more suitable for the siege of Orleans or something later than the 1350s to 60s! John here also takes part in a few battles of into the 1380s and 90s, so it could be, I suppose, appropriate.

In any case, I'll find use for them somewhere. I just thought they'd both sit alright with the project. My only concern is they might be a tad larger than the Perry plastics, but I guess we will find out soon! They are cool alternative models to use for this project.

That's it for now. I still have a lot to do and I'll probably share again later when these guys are closer to completion and jump back and forth between these lads and Romans.. haha.

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2022, 05:54:21 AM »
this gets better and better :-*