Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 11:32:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690711
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 1026
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 40k newer edition troops in 7th  (Read 1594 times)

Offline fitterpete

• Mad Scientist
  • Maryland, U.S.A.
40k newer edition troops in 7th
« on: June 23, 2022, 04:28:32 AM »
Our small group still plays 7th edition but also like all the new troops,vehicles and armies introduced for 8th and 9th.
Has anyone seen any fan made stat list for 7th for the new stuff?
Thanks
Pete

Offline Pictors Studio

• Mastermind
    • Pictors Studio
Re: 40k newer edition troops in 7th
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2022, 08:48:28 PM »
I haven't, but a lot of the stuff should be pretty easy to convert based on existing unit types. 

Unless you are dead set on the lore for Primaris marines using entire Primaris forces could be just done using the old rules and modifying the squad structure, so include one of the hellblaster guys in a regular squad along with a converted heavy weapon dude.

It might look odd to mix Primaris and regular marines, but using all one or the other you shouldn't have a problem.

If you want to use the lore, then give Primaris an extra wound, count helllbasters and plasma guns and so on. 

Another place to look for that stuff might be the new HH stuff as long as you are looking for marines.  The Dark Angel plasma gun squad could be used as a sub for the primaris plasma gun squad and so on. 

Offline KGatch113

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2022, 11:03:08 PM »

TBH.....You should switch to 9th, but play with the 8th edition index rules.

9th is a much better rules set than 7th, but by playing with the indexes you avoid the bloat that came later.

I'm sorry, I don't miss the 3 rolls you had to make after a transport blew up.....Just bogged down the game.

I also suggest these house rules: You cannot charge if you do not have LOS, and/or you can always overwatch regardless of LOS.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2022, 06:38:07 AM by KGatch113 »

Offline fitterpete

• Mad Scientist
  • Maryland, U.S.A.
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2022, 12:14:58 AM »
Thanks but we like the 7th edition rules fine.
Just like to use all the new vehicles and primaris without the “my repulser is just a landraider” thing.
I’ll just have to sit down and stat everything out. I’m not really worried about getting the points perfect , we play upwards of 5000 pt aside games so a few points per squad doesn’t really make much difference.
I was just hoping there might be something out there I could use as a start.

Offline KGatch113

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2022, 03:02:33 AM »

Are you in Maryland?

Offline fitterpete

• Mad Scientist
  • Maryland, U.S.A.
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2022, 04:00:30 AM »
Yeah

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2022, 05:07:50 AM »
I'm always curious about the appeal of alternate rulesets. If you don't mind sharing, what do you like about 7th edition 40k in particular?

I recently returned to the 40k universe with my son, and we're also staying off the current GW book buying train, but we're traveling by way of Grimdark Future.

Good luck with your project.

Offline KGatch113

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2022, 05:32:40 AM »
I'm always curious about the appeal of alternate rulesets. If you don't mind sharing, what do you like about 7th edition 40k in particular?

I recently returned to the 40k universe with my son, and we're also staying off the current GW book buying train, but we're traveling by way of Grimdark Future.

Good luck with your project.

TBH I would go back to 3rd/4th if I were to play an earlier edition, before the massive rules bloat bogged down the game. I am curious too why anyone would want to use the most unpopular editions of the game.

Offline Storm Wolf

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2022, 07:24:35 AM »
TBH I would go back to 3rd/4th if I were to play an earlier edition, before the massive rules bloat bogged down the game. I am curious too why anyone would want to use the most unpopular editions of the game.

That strikes me as little harsh :)

I tried to like 8th and 9th but they both left me cold, I dodged 6th and 7th but 5th finished me off before then (I was in my early-mid 30's when that came out), which may or not be relevant. Lately I have been going back to 3rd as I have played far, far more games of that than any other version :D, I loved RT (my entry into the game) but sold all my stuff when 2nd came out (hated all the bloody cards and looking at you 8th and 9th >:(), then had to recollect it again later for 3rd. :-[

So in a nutshell my journey through the land of 40k has been full of peaks and troughs and I assume our friend who plays 7th as a preference is the same? With 3rd I find the rules almost invisible to me,which makes doing stuff on the fly a whole lot simpler, so I suspect that may be case here? If you find the rules largely invisible they become your go-to despite all other pros and cons or even the dreaded new shiny  effect of new fresh rulebooks :-* :D

So if you like 7th that's great and if it enables you to do games as you wish thats better, and who's to say whats better or worse for you personally. In fact I have been toying with shoehorning in Primaris into 3rd but as the "Uber-marines" mentioned in one of the short stories that came out in 3rd edition. I think they were possibly a off the books experiment.

Go with 7th and enjoy :)
Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may truly judge what is sane.

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2022, 01:27:10 PM »

As for my "why"...

3rd/4th does have an appeal.  It was a simpler time to be sure and I remember it pretty well.  I dropped out of 40k at the end of 5th edition but kept my armies.  I think from what I've read, as a core ruleset, 8tg/9th is probably the most streamlined version of the game, but I can see where it might seem like too much of a change for many players compared to 7th which is much more like what came before.

When it came out I was nearly lured back to 8th edition by a friend who shares my preferences for streamlined games.  It sounded tailor made for my gaming preferences but I didn't leap then and I'm glad I didn't as it kept me out of the massive rules bloat that occurred and then continued into 9th.

When my son got interested in 40k, Grimdark Future seemed like the obvious choice for a ruleset that covers every 40k unit, but plays fast and is nearly free. I had dabbled in "One Page 40k" years before and it was essentially the same game. Interestingly my friend -who unfortunately moved away- had also gotten fed up with 8/9th bloat and made the switch to Grimdark.

I happily buy cheap second-hand, previous-edition Codices for fluff and inspiration, but it would take around $300 to acquire the rules and Codices just to get my armies on the table to play the current edition. A game that I wouldn't like as much and that I currently only play with my son. I'm also not keen on knowing that I'd be doing the same thing every few years for a new edition.

Sum up, I suspect that there are many fans of the 40k universe and minis who don't like the current version of the rules, have no need for the current playerbase or tournament scene, and don't want to drop a few hundred bucks to make an edition change.  For those folks, playing an alternate ruleset or sticking with a previous edition is an easy decision.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2022, 01:31:10 PM by eilif »

Offline fitterpete

• Mad Scientist
  • Maryland, U.S.A.
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2022, 03:46:08 PM »
I’m not going to argue which ruleset is da best.  lol
 Why 7th? Started in 2nd, hated 3 and 4 quit playing, my nephew dragged me back in halfway thru 5th. We played thru 7th but by the time 8th dropped it was playing a big game once or twice a year. Already had 20 army books and the rules so not worth the investment for new ones.
 From what I saw of 8th I wasn’t really impressed anyway.  My nephew has played a few games if it too.
I don’t mind the special rules in 7th. , I think it’s what gives the different armies flavor and I can handle rolling for something more than once.
People like different things in a game.
Interestingly we’ve gone from WHFB to Kings of War because of rules bloat.
Code: [Select]
lol lol
As to my original question. I’ve been searching more and found a few things on other forums where they ported units back to 5th or 4th edition , Not primaris or the vehicles though. So still pouring thru hundreds of post on dakka.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2022, 03:50:18 PM by fitterpete »

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2022, 09:16:00 PM »
Points might be different, but wouldn't the statline and special rules be very close in most respects?  You could probably pick up an 8th edition codex for really cheap and tweak around the edges.

Sticking with 7th if that's what's you're investment and experience is (especially if you aren't playing allot) makes complete sense to me.

Our club also went for Kings of War. We've got guys whose rank and flank experience and minis collections cover KoW, WHFB, SOIAF, Runewars, HOTT and others.  KOW makes it pretty easy to come together and game with whatever we've got in a relatively short about of time with a nice tight, concise ruleset. Most of us quite like it.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2022, 02:12:21 PM by eilif »

Offline SpaceCudet

• Assistant
    • MappingBoard
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2022, 09:20:45 AM »
I’m not really worried about getting the points perfect
Why should you be, GW obviously aren't.

Offline fitterpete

• Mad Scientist
  • Maryland, U.S.A.
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2022, 12:53:47 PM »
@ eilif
A few things changed. Mostly rules for the weapons and vehicles. It’s just sitting down and comparing existing things in 7th to what they are in 8th then comparing them to something new that’s close.  o_o
I did get a 8th edition SM codex to help.

@spacecudet
Thanks super helpful